Missing a Heart

Taking Charge

“You feeling alright?” Dean asked as he ran over to check on her, Sam right behind him.
“Yeah, I’m fine. My head’s spinning a little bit, but other than that I’m good.”
“It’ll wear off in a minute.” Sam stood up once he saw that she was alright to start packing his stuff up so they would be ready to go on the plane later.
“Uh, Cas said you had a nightmare while Sammy and I were sleeping. What was that about?” Dean asked quietly.
“You know, I’m not really sure. I remember it really freaked me out, though.” She shrugged. “Why are you packing up, Sam?”
“Well,” he grinned as he threw a shirt at her face. “It’s because we’ve got another case! Get ready because we want to be out of here soon.”
She laughed, throwing the shirt back at him. “I’ll be ready in ten minutes.”

“So where are we going exactly?” Lana asked while munching on a doughnut. She was still wearing Dean’s jacket, except she had paired it with a tie dyed shirt that read “Chill or Be Chilled” and a jean skirt with Converse high tops. She was in the passenger side of the Impala with the window down, while Sam was in the backseat and Dean was behind the wheel speeding down the interstate.
“England. Which means we have to go on a damn plane,” Dean muttered.
“What’s in England?” Lana started to get a weird feeling in her gut. Toni died in England.... No. It wasn’t related. Toni wasn’t a ghost. He couldn’t be.
“Well, there’s a ghost on this road out of London that’s killing girls and taking their hearts. Local police haven’t been able to figure it out because there aren’t any wounds where the heart was taken out, so they don’t know what it is. That’s where we come in,” Sam smiled.
“Do you have an idea who the ghost is?” Lana asked suspiciously.
“Um, no,” Sam lied. “Not yet.”
“Alright. Let’s go get us a ghost!” Lana giggled, turning her head back to the open window and smoothed her hair along the air that was rushing past them.
Sam gave a silent sigh of relief, glad that he didn’t have to tell her just yet.

“Calm down Dean. We’ll be just fine,” Lana soothed as they waited in line to board the plane.
“Uh huh,” he nodded absentmindedly. He was too nervous to really listen to what was going on.
“Flight 365 now boarding,” a pleasant voice came over the intercom.
“Come on Dean,” Lana giggled, taking his hand and dragging him onto the plane.
“Shit shit shit,” he muttered under his breath.
Lana rolled her eyes as she sat down in her seat; right inbetween Dean and Sam. Sam had the window seat and Dean had the isle seat. “Dean, the plane hasn’t even taken off yet and you’re shaking already.”
“Yeah, I know.” Dean was jiggling his leg and anxiously looking around the plane, wondering how he was going to make it through the flight. He looked over at Lana, who was looking through a magazine she bought earlier and was humming “Satisfaction” by the Rolling Stones. Dean focused on her voice and tried to calm himself by just listening to her.
“Ladies and gentleman, please fasten your seat belts.” The flight attendant came out and started explaining safety instructions while Dean restrained himself from yanking open one of the emergency exits to escape while he could. Soon the flight attendant was done and went to the cockpit, and the plane started to go on the runway to take off.
Lana saw how freaked out Dean was and moved to hold his hand. Dean gratefully grabbed it and held on, closing his eyes as the plane took off. Lana rubbed her thumb across the back of his hand, continuing to hum for him.
Once they were in the air, Dean didn’t relax any. Being in the middle of the air with tons of miles back down.... He couldn’t think about it. He started to hum along with Lana, trying to focus on the lyrics to the song.
“You should probably just try to sleep Dean,” Lana suggested after a while. “Then you won’t have extreme anxiety for the next ten hours.”
“You’ll wake me up if anything weird happens, right?”
“Of course.”
“Will you keep humming? It helps get my mind off of.... You know...”
Lana smiled. “Only for you I will.”
Dean smiled appreciatively back at her and tried to fall asleep, just focusing on anything but the fact that they were on a plane.

“Time to wake up Dean.”
Dean woke up, startled. “Are we crashing?” he asked stupidly.
Lana laughed. “No, we’re getting off. We landed already.”
“Oh. Right.” Dean sat up and stretched, grabbing his stuff before following the other people off of the plane. “Thanks,” he whispered to Lana while Sam was lagging behind.
“No problem.”
The three walked to the front of the airport and tried to hail a cab, failing each time. “Stupid asses,” Dean muttered after the twelfth attempt.
“Maybe we should just walk,” Lana suggested, also fed up with the cabs.
“Yeah. We’re really close to the inner city. We can find a place to stay and go from there.” Sam waved the other two on and started walking down the road into London.