The Nosey Assistant

The Invitation

Melanie walked into her boss Mike’s office and delivered a stack of files she had recently filed for him. She had been swamped all day with demands for filing papers and running errands. All she wanted to do was sit and drink her diet soda and just wait for that last agonizing hour to go by until she could go home. As she sat at her desk pondering the things she could do when she got home, Mike walked in and stood before her desk.

“Melanie, I see you finished that filing I asked you to do earlier, great job!” he said, happy that he wasn’t the unfortunate soul who had to do it.

“Oh yeah, thanks, it’s my pleasure,” she said sarcastically.

“Hey, cheer up, it had to be done and by who better than my best assistant? Say, how about you join me tonight at my place for dinner? I’ll do all the cooking and you can sit and enjoy the fireplace,” he said, hopeful for a little company.

“Oh? Sure, that sounds nice. Do you want me to bring anything?” she said, astonished by the invitation.

“No, of course not! You just show up around 7, sound good?” He said, beaming with delight.

“Yeah, I’ll be there,” she smiled.

A dinner invitation by her boss was a little strange, she thought, but she was getting free food and a warm fire, so why not? As the hour drew to a close, she packed up her purse and headed home to prepare for the evening to come.