Status: Thanks for reading!!

Rescue

Figs and Sparks

I love dogs. Books too, and coffee, but mostly dogs. Always have.

I had a corgi, Fig, but we had to give him up when we moved. I was seven. It was devastating.

I've always wanted a dog since then, I vowed to pay whatever I had to for a dog. Even that stupid payment for houses, because somehow owning a dog's gonna ruin the house.

Well, I'll stop there, or I'm gonna rant like it's no ones business.

So, I, twenty and fresh from my parents house, have decided to rescue a dog. It's such an odd way to put it. Rescue. It's not really like you pulled the lil' buddy out of a fire, or anything. You're just loving it, which is the only humane thing to do, to be honest.

Well, I'll stop there, or I'm gonna rant like it's no ones business.

So, I stepped into the place I can't name for copyright reason, and picked me out a big, adorable wrinkle named Spark. He nearly pushed me over.

"He likes you." I'd paid far to much attention to the dog, not realizing that there was a person there. I looked to the woman and nodded curtly. I wasn't much of a professional when it came to talking to strangers. Especially one's older than me.

"I would hope so," she bent down to the mastiff and scratched his chin, making the dogs tail wag a good bit. "I took care of this one. Spark wasn't in the best shape when he came in. He was locked up in his," She paused, but not long, just a millisecond, and the smallest flare of disgust flashed in her eyes.

"Master's house for days. He came blind in one eye and a only 99 pounds," her face softened in a way and she dropped head on the dogs side. I felt a sudden urge to ask her number. "now, he's leaving at a good 238." She scratched his head and stood back up.

"Take good care of him for me." I smiled at her and glanced at her nametag. Cris.

"Of course." I ignored the want to ask her out and turned to leave.

Oh, screw that. I'm feeling something here and there's literally nothing stopping me from acting on it!! ...Unless she doesn't want to... Well, nothing's going to come of me not asking! I turned back.

"Hey." I said. Shoot. She turned her head to me and I noticed that she had brown eyes. Incredibly cute, brown eyes. Matching eyebrows turned up and her lips curled up in a manner.

"Hi?"

"Um, you could come by- to make sure I'm treating him right. Yeah... You could visit and we could talk about dog things." She kinda blushed and that gave me a shot of encouragement to continue.

"You could stay for a while. Play with Spark... play with me, it'll be fun. I'll give you my number- wait a sec." I shoved a hand in my purse and pulled out a pen. I dove in again, praying for paper. Nothing. What luck.

A hand came into vision and I looked up at her. She seemed embarrassed and that, ergo, made me blush.

I took her hand and moved closer to her. I started to scrawled my number on her wrist, before licking the tip of the pen and starting over.

Briana XXX-XXX-XXXX. I made a little heart before closing the pen and looking at her. I smiled awkwardly.

"So, um, if you ever wanna see Spark, you can just- call, and I'll definitely pick up and it'll be awesome." She smiled and I died on the inside. But in a good way. It was wonderful.

"Sure." I stuffed the pen in my purse and grabbed the leash.

We were at the door.

"Bye, Spark." There was a pause and I felt the rush of a flood when she said my name.

"Bye, Briana."
♠ ♠ ♠
so, i dont know much about rescue so most of this is assumption. this is a prompt from a friend

this went better than expected.