Love, Actually.

Inconceivable

Abandoned newspapers lay swimming in murky puddles, the lone streetlamp flickered in the shadows, and a sign reading “By the Spine Bookstore” hung haphazardly outside the shop. This was an alleyway which looked like it ought to be avoided at all costs—but this was where Ella Copp found solace. The narrow bookstore was home to seemingly hundreds of books: some in neat rows, others chaotically stacked. The dusty shelves held all these many used novels—some still in mint condition, with their gilt titles winking in the yellowed light; others looked like they’d been through centuries, their spines cracked and covers worn. Each book held a different story in its dog-eared pages, and that fascinated Ella.

Out of breath, with her auburn hair framing her face in damp curls, Ella rushed into the bookstore. The bells above the door let out a belated tinkle to announce her arrival as she sank into an armchair which was well-placed before a roaring fireplace. Bookstores seemed like a safe haven in the stormy months with their offers of free coffee, crackling fires, and a book to bury your nose in. It was pouring outside, and while most people chose to stay dry in their homes, Ella had needed to escape the cramped apartment she called home. The fighting had been beginning to get out of hand.

“As always, it is nice to see you, Miss Copp,” Emerging from amongst the shelves was a thin, stooped man fluffy white hair which sprouted not only from his head but also from his ears. He was as wrinkled as some of the paperbacks in his shop.

“You, too, Mr. Lloyd,” Ella returned, smiling at the small man. “Any new recommendations?”

“You’ve finished the Tolkein book already?” The surprise in his face was obvious when Ella nodded. “Peruse the shelves, then, Miss Copp, and I’ll see what I have in back for you.”

Following his advice, Ella rose and entered one of the aisles. Crammed with books, the shelves were tall, making the aisles seem even narrower than they already were. The scent of musty books would have been overwhelming for most people, but Ella simply inhaled deeply, filling her lungs with stories and poems, marveling at the fact that all of them were simply a different combination of the same twenty-six letters. As she walked, Ella let her index finger glide from book spine to book spine, crossing fictitious mountains and valleys as she did so. This was her happy place. Her finger slid to a stop at a much worn copy of The Princess Bride.

“Excellent choice,” Ella turned, spooked, to see a young man standing beside her. How she hadn’t heard him come in, much less approach her, she didn’t know.

“I—I—I’ve never read it,” Ella managed to get out; she dropped her hand from the creased book spine to instead fiddle with a ring she always wore.

“Inconceivable!” He exclaimed, reaching around her and pulling the book out from the shelf, raising up motes of dust to dance in the light. The tall stranger ran a hand through his dark hair before flipping the book open to a random page and began to read dramatically. “They met in the center plateau for the final assault. Neither man conceded anything. The sound of clashing metal rose.” He looked up from the book and locked eyes with Ella, “This, beautiful girl, is a novel of sword fights, true love, and high adventure!”

Intrigued, Ella caught herself reaching out a hand towards the book.

“You should read it,” The stranger told her confidently, still clutching the novel as he began to walk to the front of the shop.

“I’d like to,” Ella said, falling into step with him. “Who doesn’t like high adventure?” She caught herself smiling at him, then blushing.

All at once, they were at the cash register, Mr. Lloyd eyeing the stranger warily while he rang up the book. The stranger reached into his back pocket and pulled out a shabby black wallet, removing some paper bills and paying for the novel. He flipped the receipt over, scribbled something on the back of it, and tucked it away into the inside of the cover.

“Here,” Said the stranger, handing the book over to Ella. “When you’re done, call me, and maybe we can discuss high adventure over a cup of coffee.” Before Ella could say anything, the tinkling of the door told her that he was gone. Flipping open the cover, Ella saw a phone number and the name “Liam Wallace” messily written on the receipt in pen.

“Mr. Lloyd,” Ella said incredulously, “I do believe I have a date.” With that, she slipped into her raincoat and out the door, into the rain.

The shopkeeper stared after her in complete disbelief.

“Inconceivable,” He muttered.