Unknown Waters

But I'm Holding on for Dear Life, Won't Look Down, Won't Open My Eyes

Amelia was getting sick of Col.

Usually she could put up with his antics at a pretty high level. Deal with his moping whenever he was shut down to an extent.

But ever since he had gotten back from the small fishing trip with his dad, it was as if he was a whole different person. He was constantly on edge, full of attitude, and blew off his friends to go sit at the beach for hours on end.

If he wasn't sulking about whatever he claimed he couldn't remember, he was drinking. Every day he was going out with Hunter and Scott to get wasted in someone's back yard or by the pit when a blazing fire roared toward the sky. For nearly two weeks Amelia had put up with it and for those two weeks there was only one thing keeping her from smothering the boy in his sleep.

"Are you ready?" Amelia bit her bottom lip. The ocean water lapped against her feet, the cool temperature evening out the intensity of the sun. Wes stood to her right in just a plain pair of swimming trunks that exposed the perfect lines of his torso. She herself had opted to wear a two piece bathing suit, black and white polka dots, and was semi-conscious of the way his eyes kept darting to her body.

"Ready as I'll ever be." She took a deep breath and started out into the water. Wes matched her stride for stride until they were waist deep. Goose bumps rose on her arms and she realized her teeth were chattering.

"Are you alright?" Wes reached out to her letting his fingers lightly touch her upper arm. Looking at him quickly she nodded. "You're shivering."

"It's mostly nerves, I promise." Amelia let out a huff of air.

"You don't have to be nervous. I'm right here, I'm not going to let anything happen to you." He smiled softly at her and she felt the blush creeping up her neck.

"You're part of the problem."

"Me?" He sounded hurt.

"It's just, I'm not one to wear a bikini and I did and now I'm regretting it because you're pretty much perfect in stature and I'm not and the water is freaking me out and my skin is tingling where you touched me," Amelia blurted in one breath. Wes' face broke out into a grin and she looked away from him.

"Oh Amelia," he slowly moved a piece of hair out of her face, "if only you knew the effect you had on me." She rubbed her arm aimlessly and took a deep breath. "Shall we?"

Walking a few more steps out Amelia could feel the panic bubbling. The current was pushing against her lower body and she took a sharp breath when her foot sunk further into the sand. "I'm right here." She latched her fingers around his forearm, pulling them closer together.

"I can't do it." Her breaths were short, vision blurry, the familiar feeling of an anxiety attack about to settle in.

"Amelia," Wes moved so he was directly in front of her. "Amelia look in my eyes." His right hand rested on her cheek, his thumb grazing her skin. "You can do this. I will hold onto you the entire time."

"But we'll sink." Her tongue darted out to lick her lips.

"No, we won't. I won't let that happen, okay?" The intensity in his eyes made her nod. "I promise you that we can do this. Put your arms around my neck." Slowly she snaked her arms around his shoulders. “Do you trust me?”

“Yes.” Her voice cracked. Wes moved his hands under the water so they could rest on her hips. Amelia let out a squeak the moment her feet lifted from the sand, her body pressing directly into Wes’. Together they floated, Amelia looking left and right constantly, fear still picking at her.

“Talk to me about your day.” Amelia felt Wes’ hot breath against her neck and she bit her cheek. “Get your mind off the water.”

“Uh,” she shut her eyes and took a deep breath through her nose, “Col has been frustrating.”

Wes kicked his legs under the water softly to turn them in slow circles. “Go on.”

“I don’t know. It’s like ever since he got back from that fishing trip he’s been super distant. Moping about nothing and being a total douche. Usually when it’s just me and him he’ll open up but he just,” she pursed her lips, “drinks. And hangs out with the guys.”

“Did something happen on the trip?”Amelia leaned her head against Wes’ shoulder and sighed.

“Nothing out of the ordinary. He said a tortoise got stuck in their net and he cut it out. That was it.” She couldn’t see the worry cross Wes’ face. “Elle hasn’t been around either. Maybe that’s it.” She giggled. “I’m 98% sure he has a crush on your sister.”

“Elle has been pretty weird lately,” Wes agreed. Several minutes passed and neither said anything.

“This is nice.” Lifting her head she smiled at him. “Thank you.”

“I told you it’s not that scary.” He brought his hand up to her cheek. The way he was looking at her made her stomach turn upside down.

“Is there something on my face?” Running his thumb along her chin he shook his head.

“No.” His voice was low. Amelia couldn’t stop her eyes from darting to his lips every few seconds the closer their faces got. “Amelia.”

She leaned in further, eyes ready to close, when something in the background caught her attention. Jerking back from Wes she gasped. “What is it?” Looking over his shoulder he felt his blood run cold.

“We’ll never make it.” Amelia couldn’t take her eyes off the wave as it climbed toward the sky.

“You can make it. I’ll push you.”

“No way. I’m not leaving you out here,” she protested. He grabbed her arms and looked her straight on.

“You have to. I’ll be fine.” He pressed a kiss to her cheek. “Go. Find Col and spend time with him.”

“What about you?” Amelia was clawing at the water.

“I’ll come back for you. I promise.” Amelia furrowed her brow but didn’t have time to respond before he pushed her toward the shore. Somehow he had managed to get her close enough that her feet could grip the sand. Taking a glance over her shoulder she saw Wes gazing at the tall wave with anger before it swallowed him.

Struggling to gain her balance she cried out when her foot tripped on a rock, pain shooting up her leg. The wave capped, white foam barreling toward her, and she took a deep breath. Tumbling in the water she kept her eyes closed to avoid the debris scratching her skin. Once her back hit sand she pushed against it as hard as she could and broke the surface.

“Ames!” Coughing from water going up her nose she crawled backward until the water no longer covered her torso. Hands grabbed her under her arms and lifted her to her feet. “Amelia are you alright?”

Col ran his hands over her face and to her shoulders while she took deep breaths. Her eyes gazed out to the ocean as it started to settle down. “It took Wes.”

“What took Wes?” Col pulled her into his arms to warm her shaking body.

“The wave. It’s like it just came for him.” Her voice was hoarse and tears stung her eyes. “And he wasn’t scared. He was more, mad.”

“Let’s get you dried off, yeah?” Col started moving toward the boardwalk. “You could come to shop with me. Help clean up some boats.”

“Now you want to spend time with me?” Her tone held the sarcasm he had expected. “It takes the ocean trying to eat me to get your attention?”

“I’m sorry I’ve been shitty, okay? But this is me trying to make it better.”

Amelia glanced back at the calm tide. Nothing was there.

Image

“Ratchet.” Col’s fingers wiggled in the air waiting for the tool. Amelia dug through the box of random items and pulled it out, slapping the metal object in his palm. It disappeared under the dock of the boat they were on. She listened to the turning of the gears as he worked a bolt free from the motor, his arms lined with dark grease from the work they had done.

Uncle Bert was more than willing to let Amelia help out for the day. She shoved the cordless phone in the pocket of her overall’s to answer it whenever the ringtone blared. Which was once, in three hours, and had been a recorded message.

“Wrench. 1/8’s to be exact,” Col’s voice broke her out of her trance. Shuffling through the box again she had just plucked it from the bottom when the bell at the service door rang out. She handed it to Col before hopping off the bench and climbing the ladder back to the floor.

She wiped her hands clean on the denim fabric covering her torso and rounded the corner of the shop. Standing at the desk was a very tall man with slicked back hair. His nose was thin but pointy, eyes light blue, lips pulled back into a menacing grin, and his shirt left open to reveal a necklace dangling at the base of his neck. An anchor symbol flashed in the light.

“Welcome to Pierce Boat Repair Shop. What can I do for you?”

“Hello.” His voice was smooth. “I was just passing through the neighborhood and noticed that Ilsa is one of the most overlooked tourist attractions in its area. The fishing, the food, the lovely people.” His eyes took their time traveling along her body and she shifted uncomfortably.

“The lovely people here enjoy the less populated feel.” She pulled the phone from her pocket and placed it back in the stand. “Do you have any repairs that need to be done? I’m currently holding up a job in the back.”

“I didn’t mean to offend you,” he caught onto her change in demeanor and stood up straighter, “I was just wondering where I could rent a boat at. I’m going to be here for a little while and wanted to test out the water myself.”

“There’s a rental shop just up the road. Ask for Hunter.” She passed him a card with the address and phone number on it, their fingers grazing.

“Thank you so much,” his voice trailed off.

“Amelia.”

“Amelia. Very old fashioned.” He did a little bow. “My name is Felix and it was such a pleasure meeting you.”

“Have a nice day.”

“I’m sure we will be seeing more of each other. Such a small town and all.” He gestured with his hands as he turned around and she made a face at the back of his head. Once the door shut she spun on her heel and headed back to the boat.

“Who was at the door?” Col’s head was still buried under the dock by the motor. His arms flexed as he tightened another bolt.

“Some creepy guy named Felix looking for a boat rental.” She set herself back down on the bench.

“Give me a scale on the creepiness.” Col emerged with several smears on his face. Leaning back on his heels he put the tools back into the box.

“Creepier than Scott going for the 13 year old girls on festival night.” She crossed her arms. “When he’s sober.”

“Oh wow.” Col snorted. “That is pretty shady.”

“He just gave me the willies. Like he wanted to come here to get under our skin.”

“It’s a small place. He’ll get under a lot of people’s skin.” Col stood to stretch out his muscles. “Let’s go get something to eat. I’m famished.”

“Did you read up on that word today in the dictionary?” Amelia teased.

“No.” Col threw his arm around her shoulder once they had descended from the boat. “It was on Bert’s ‘word of the day’ calendar that dates back to the 80’s.” Amelia barked out a laugh that he joined in with once they were outside. The sun warmed their bodies as they began the trek to Moe’s.

Completely unaware of the shadow that followed them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
Say hello to Felix. Evil handsome bastard.

Image
He's so perfect. Sigh.

Image
We can't forget Col. Devilish man child.

They almost kissed, good sign. Col and Amelia are still doing ok. Another good sign.
But this Felix guy, total dick. You'll see. Elle will return next chapter.
Yeah.

For Noelle! Always keeping me happy and all.

Chapter Title Credit: Chandelier by Sia.