Status: Slowly getting written, but written well

Seaside Summer

Where You Lead I Will Follow – Carole King & Louise Goffin

I don't leave Seaside often. Today was an exception. I grabbed my keys and ran outside down the porch steps to my jeep. I glanced over at the boys unpacking their moving truck. The one with the messy red hair started to wave at me, but started to loose his balance. When he dropped the box that was in his hands I turned away. I hoisted myself into the vehicle. I drove down my street and took a left on to the long stretch of road called Highway 30A. It connected all the small resort towns together. People created businesses off the road like "30A Hot Dog Co." or "30A donuts". The road even has its own beer for god’s sakes! It's cute to see how each town has its own personality as you drive through them. After driving for around 30 minuets I end up in Rosemary Beach. The place where the socially elite live. My jeep looked like trash compared to the Porsche I parked beside. I tucked my keys inside the purse my mother gave me for my 20th birthday and walked up to curb. I explored the town until I found the restaurant Wild Olives. My parents were sitting outside waiting for me with a smile on their faces making conversation with each other.

"Hey" I greeted with a small wave. They stood up and we exchanged hugs like we did every month. This monthly lunch was apart of a deal I made with them when I was 18 years old. "How have y'all been?” I say now sitting.

"I've been fabulous!" My mother always spoke with emotion. She was never just good. She was marvelous. She was never just upset. She was greatly devastated. "I'm actually thinking about running for president of my chapter of the DAR. That old hag Shelly Ross is running for president and the she is the last alcoholic that needs to be in charge!" I laugh then turn to my dad.

"What about you my lovely father" I smile; I've always called him lovely father when I was in a good mood. He stopped squinting at his iPhone and set it down on the table. He shifted in his seat preparing to speak as our waitress walked to our table for our drink order. After she took it she rushed back into the restaurant.

“The company is publishing another book from John Green. I was supposed to keep that under wraps, but you are the exception.” My father chuckled. “ How are you keeping up the house?”

“It’s fine, do you think it would be okay if I asked Abby to move in?” I had to always get their permission before doing anything involving the house. It was their house anyways. The only reason they didn’t get rid of it when they moved to rosemary beach is because I begged for it as a graduation gift. The house was my life. I grew up going there every summer. They were completely against me having a house at 18. They thought me living in Seaside year round would make me not want to attend college. So they cut me a deal. I take online college courses. Edit books my dad’s publishing company sends me. I don’t destroy the house. I visit them every month in Rosemary Beach for lunch or a dinner; From time to time they force me to go a party. They will pay all the house bills and give me $1000 a month for any living expenses. If I wanted anything else I were to get a job in town. It was worth it. I love the house. My parents looked at each other and mentally talked about it. Then my mother looked at me.

“It would be fine if she moved in with you,” she spoke “but she has to help with living expenses. I love Abby, but I only had one kid. I am not going to start paying for two just because.” After lunch I visited the town’s coveted candy store Sugar Shack. From top to the bottom it is full of vintage candy. I grabbed a few Mars bars for Abby and a box of Mike & Ikes for myself then headed back home.