Status: Work In Progress

Peekaboo

“Олени приятней, чем люди (Reindeers Are Better Than People)”

The cold and wind was becoming too much for them all. Brad and Andrew were both beginning to complain and Reilly was launching into another story, much to the disgust of Torey. They would have to stop and rest, but where could they stop? This was a barren wasteland of nothing. It wasn’t like they could stop at a Hyatt or Comfort Inn or something.

“We’re going to freeze to death, Kaner. And when that happens, we’ll never be able to rescue Tazer…” Sharp and Adam remarked in unison. They were both shivering and trying to protect themselves from the bitter ice storm that raged around them.

“...yeah, my dogs are barking and frozen in ice!” Andrew added, sitting down and lifting his paw up. Sure enough a block of ice had formed over his paw and it looked painful.

Brad grabbed his paw and struggled to muster enough strength at first, coughing and wheezing, but eventually blew on it with his mouth and was able to melt the block of ice. “There.”

“Wow. Thanks.”

“Sure. No problem, Shawzy.”

They smiled at one another. Patrick cocked his head in interest. The two were warming up to one another and it was rather refreshing to see.

“Ok, let’s figure out where to stop and rest. Any ideas?” the blond turned to his wary troup.

“How about that boulder over there?” Brandon spoke, pointing toward a large rock that was conveniently placed. “We can huddle behind it and get some rest.”

Patrick patted the top of his stick sword in his holster. “Alright. But I want to check and make sure that it is safe.”

Brad scurried over and peered behind it. “It’s clear,” he reported with a wave of his paw.

The Blackhawk rolled his eyes and sighed. “Okay fine, maybe the badger can find out for me…” It was sarcasm.

Everyone darted for the safety and “shelter” of the rock, slipping behind it. Instantly, the wind died down and they began to feel a little bit of warmth. They all sat down, happily. Sharp and Adam snuggled together, while Brad, Andrew, Reilly and Torey sat together. And Patrick and Brandon sat together.

Suddenly, someone’s delectable singing voice sounded. It was a man’s and they sang:

“Олени приятней чем люди,
Джейми, верно я говорю?”

(Reindeers are better than people
Jamie, don't you think that's true?)

“Jamie?” Brandon repeated with bewilderment. He looked to Patrick, who shrugged. “Who’s Jamie?”

The singer’s voice grew gruff and almost a mimicry of another’s:

“Да люди нас бьют,
обижают, ругают
Одного лишь тебя я люблю!”

(Yeah, people will beat you
And curse you and cheat you
Each one of them's bad but you.)

He was once more back to his normal, sultry singing voice:

“Ох, спасибо приятель
Но люди приятнее пахнут,
Джейми, ну скажи я не прав?”

(Oh, thanks buddy
But people smell better than reindeers
Jamie, don't you think that I'm right?)

As the other voice:

“Почти как цветы,
но только не ты!”

(That's once again true,
For all except you.)

In his normal voice:

“Все верно, нам спать не пора?”

(You got me, let's call it a night?)

As the other voice:

“Пора!”

(Good night)

In his normal voice again:

“Сладких нам снов до утра!
Утра!”

(Don't let the frostbite bite
Bite.)

“Заткнись (Shut up)!” a second voice grumbled. It sounded very familiar.

Patrick Kane looked at his posse and they were all equally as curious as he was. He gradually got up from his spot, behind the protection of the boulder and spotted a stable just to the left side of a rare grassy area. A light was lit in the middle stall. If he didn’t know any better, the Blackhawk forward would guess that this was a horse stall. He made to move, out of bravery, gripping onto his silver stick sword, Showtime.

Before he could move, however, the soft singing voice spoke again. Only this time it wasn’t singing and it sounded really familiar. It sounded almost Russian.

“Ой, да ладно Джейми ... (Oh, come on Jamie)”

“Valeri, stop.”

Brad made a hissing noise. “Dallas Stars!” The badger scurried out with Patrick in pursuit.

“Marchy, stop!” the blond man screamed, catching him easily and halting him, right at the door to the lit stall. He peered in to see an animated reindeer and a blond haired man with wintery Eskimo clothes. He wore a thick dark tunic with a fur-lined purplish-brown-burgundy collar and a blue patch on his right elbow, a burgundy sash tied around his waist, a dark blue long-sleeved undershirt, thick dark trousers, and fur-lined dark brown boots with pointed toes. He was a rather tall, good-looking, stocky young adult man, who was quite muscular and strong.

The animal had a musical instrument that looked very similar to a guitar in his mouth. He was playing “keep away” with the tall blond guy by ducking the arm swipes from him, as he tried to grab it back.

“Ух ты! девятка! Джейми, дай мне! (Whoa! I want it! Jamie, give me!)” The blond man complained before snatching his guitar instrument back. His blue eyes flashed a brilliant color under the light from the lanterns hanging from the ceiling of the “shelter.”

The reindeer made a “hmpf” noise as he sat down on his haunches. He didn’t look happy. The Eskimo dude turned to spot the newcomers, as the rest of the hockey players came out of hiding.

“Who are you?” Patrick asked, wrapping his fingers around “Showtime.”

The reindeer leaned over and nudged his friend, playfully, “Hey, you gonna say, ‘Hi, I’m Val Nichushkin’?”

“Тишина, Джейми! Я не нужна ваша помощь. Привет, я Val Nichushkin. (Silence, Jamie! I don't need your help. Hi, I'm Val Nichushkin.)” The blond walked over to the doorway, grinning innocently. “Hi, I’m Val Nichushkin.”

“Ah, so you can speak English?” Patrick exclaimed, extending his hand out and shaking the Russian’s.

Val wore a classic clueless look.

“I’m Jamie Benn, the Dallas Captain!” Jamie exclaimed from behind Val.

“And the guy who stole my best friend!” Brad snarled, as he was picked up and hugged by Val.

“Вы не только восхитительный небольшой скунс? (Aren’t you just an adorable little skunk?)”

“Huh?”

“Skunk.”

“Not a skunk. Honey Badger.” The Boston pest squirmed in the grasp of the blond man, trying to slip free. “Let me go, or I’ll use my claws!”

The Russian set him down and the badger frowned, brushing himself off. “Sorry,” the Dallas Star muttered, looking down at his feet. He shuffled them, awkwardly.

“Wow, thank goodness, I’m not the only awkward one here anymore,” Reilly stated.

“Oh my gosh, Reilly Smith, is that you?” Jamie asked, as his eyes landed on the Boston forward, who was a bear. “You’re a bear?!”

“Jamie?” Reilly’s curious response came. He darted forward toward the reindeer. “Man, it’s been a long time.”

“Yeah. It has. Why are you a bear?”

“I don’t know why. I just came here as such. How about yourself?”

“Eh. I don’t know either. Same as you I suppose. I came here as a reindeer.”

“Oh.”

“How’s Boston? They treating you okay?”

“Oh yes. Very much so. I love it in Boston.”

“I’m proud of you and happy for you. I’m glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself.”

“And look at you, being named Captain and being all important!”

“Alright, Jamie and Reilly, there will be time to talk after we continue on and find Jonny. We have to save him still, remember?” Patrick spoke up, half scolding.

“Jonny?? Jonathan Toews?” the Russian named Val questioned, cocking his head with keen interest.

“Yeah. You know him?” Brandon asked.

“Uh...he was flying...on...дракон (dragon).” Val pointed to the sky and started to mime what his brain was trying to say. He looked like he was playing a game of charades.

“He means dragon. We saw a dragon carrying someone. We have been trying to figure out how we got here and why. And why am I a reindeer?”

“Because you’re удивительным!” Val stated with a wink and a classic Val Nichushkin grin.

“Because I’m what, Val? You want to be demoted to the second line or even "benched when we get back to Dallas?”

Val lost his smile and looked sad. He shook his head and then said, “I just complimented you. I said you were awesome.”

“Oh...thanks buddy. I’m sorry, I thought you were being a smartypants.”

Val regained his smile and looked at Andrew. “Puppy!” he screamed like a little boy. He darted over to the dog, before he was cut off by the honey badger. The small black and white animal blocked his path to the Blackhawk pest, who was rather curious.

“Don’t come any closer!” Brad snarled.

The Dallas Star forward halted in step and looked rather sad. He bit his lip and looked at his feet. “I just wanted to pet the puppy…”

“That puppy is a dog and he is Andrew Shaw. I suggest you stick to petting Bur the horse or maybe your friend reindeer!” Brad spat.

“Okay…” he slowly turned around and shuffled over to Adam. He hesitated, before Adam dipped his head and allowed the Star to pet him. “Ура! Лошадка! (Yay! Horsey!)” He slowly came to smile again and be happy.

“Russians…,” Brad hissed, relaxing.

“Baby Russians…,” Andrew added on.

“Marchy and Shawzy be nice to him. He’s a sweetheart, but extremely fragile. You have to be careful with him,” Jamie stated, narrowing his eyes. “If you don’t, I’ll kick you with my hooves...I suppose that’s how reindeers attack threats...I’m not afraid to set two hockey pests right!”

Brad and Andrew rolled their eyes. “Alright, Benny. We’ll be nice to the Russian.”

“His name is Val.”

“Fine, we’ll be nice to Val.”

“Thank you.”

Jamie turned to face Patrick, who was gazing out at the winter storm. He had unsheathed his sword and was gripping it in his hands. Brandon joined him. He put an arm around the blond man.

“We’re going to find him, Kaner. Don’t worry any.”

“I hope so. I can’t imagine our team without our dear captain.”

“He won’t be killed by Nemo, I promise. And if I am wrong, feel free to punch me.”

Patrick turned to his teammate. “There’s no need for that, Saader. You are right, let’s gather the troops and carry on in our journey.”

“Right.”
♠ ♠ ♠
BABY RUSSIAN HOCKEY PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 :)
They're the best, right?
I couldn't help myself. I had to have Val as his big baby Russian self. He's just too frickin adorable!

Next up: Well, we're going to take things back to the Princesses and Reveal a huge secret! Get ready to hate a princess everyone! And now I just thought of a REALLY good idea...well bad, but good.