Status: I will try my best to also follow the shows story but I also like going my own path as well. I do hope you enjoy and I would love feedback. Maybe even feedback on the title because I'll be honest. Nothing came to mind at the moment ^^

The CEO's Assistant

Chapter Seventeen: Doubting Heart

Kiandra and Mokuba munched on a couple small sandwiches for their lunch that the chef had provided them. Kiandra insisted to help but the chef finally convinced her he was ok doing it on his own. Kiandra swallowed a bite she just took and glance towards Mokuba, “You know, sometimes I find it funny how excited you are to teach me duel monsters. I almost think you are more excited than I am” she giggled slightly.

Mokuba had giggled back but his smile soon fell as he gently let his half eaten sandwich down. She was confused by his sudden change, seeing his eyes stare at his food with sad eyes. “Most of the reason is…I want someone other than Yugi to beat my brother in a duel” Kiandra gasped slightly. Her facing off with the great Seto Kaiba? No one has been able to beat him other than Yugi so what sort of chance did she have?

Mokuba continued when she didn’t answer, “He’s always so obsessed with beating Yugi. I bet the only reason he put this whole tournament together was to show the world he’s better than Yugi. We barely spend any time now and he’s not always the same like he used to be. I thought maybe…” he paused for a moment as if collecting his thoughts, “if someone else were to beat Seto, he’d realize that he has to stop this. That he doesn’t always need to be the best”.

Kiandra’s heart broke hearing such a confession. She didn’t realize Kaiba had it out for Yugi like that. She wanted to help him, but she wasn’t confident in her own abilities. Even with the deck she was given with a couple rare cards, it still seemed impossible. She brought her hand up to her face as she bit down on her thumb in thought until an idea had flooded her mind.

“You know…if you want me to beat Kaiba, we’ll need more help than just you helping me. Who better yet to help us than Yugi himself?” She suggested, pulling out her phone incase Mokuba agreed. His eyes widen but slowly a smile spread across his cute face, “That’s a great idea! But do you really want him to know who you will be in the tournament?” Kiandra nodded, “I know he’ll be able to keep a secret and I’m sure he will be more than willing to help us” “then let’s do it!”

With that, Kiandra scrolled through her contacts to find Yugi’s number, once she found it she immediately called. The phone rang a couple of times until Yugi’s voice sounded on the other line, “Hello?” “Hey Yugi, its Kiandra”. His voice perked up, “Hey Kia! What’s going on?” “Nothing much but there’s a favor that I need to ask you. If you have time, I can come over to the card shop. I’ll be free a little past noon if that’s fine with you” she hoped that Yugi would agree, it was better than explaining over the phone.

“Sure! I’ll see you later then” Yugi agreed though there was a hint of hesitation. She said her goodbyes as she hung up and smiled down at Mokuba, “Hopefully Yugi says yes, if so I’ll have two teachers, gives us more of a chance”. Mokuba gave a thumbs up with a goofy smile and just then they could hear the butler’s voice, “Welcome back Mr. Kaiba, you’re back early” “I finished what I needed done. Where is Kiandra and Mokuba?” “In the dining room sir”.

Both Mokuba and Kiandra groaned in unison, “So much for more practice” grumbled Kiandra. Kaiba appeared at the door way with a raised eyebrow, “Lunch already?” “We were pretty hungry with all the l-little e-events we did haha” she laughed nervously. Her stuttering had returned suddenly, she hadn’t stutter like that in a while. It was just past 11 o’clock but in some sense it was a bit early for lunch.

“I’m sure” Kaiba replied. That same suspicion in his voice made Kiandra want to panic but Mokuba ran up to his brother to catch his attention. “Seto, will Kia be picking me up from school tomorrow?” Kaiba glanced down to Mokuba’s puppy eyes, he gave a little smirk, “Yes she will”. Mokuba cheered a bit, turning to Kiandra, “I’ll be right back. I forgot something in my room”. He rushed out of the dining room leaving her alone with a smirking Kaiba. One moment he’s saving her and another moment he leaves her to her doom.

“I’ve never seen him so happy” Kaiba suddenly spoke, her head snapped up seeing his facial expression now serious. Kiandra wasn’t completely sure how to respond to this as she continued to study his features. He turned to her as her cheeks burned with a bright blush. His smirk slightly turned into a small smile which she didn’t think he was capable of.

Kiandra stood up as she started to gather the dishes, “I like to see him smile. He’s an amazing boy”. Just as she turned she yelped slightly seeing Kaiba had snuck up behind her. She almost dropped the dishes but his hands came up, supporting hers. That did it. Her face was as red as an apple. His hands were smooth and warm causing shivers down her spine. Her eyes found their way to his, his icy blue eyes capturing them in a hold.

Her pulse had quicken, words choked in her throat. Kiandra could see his face coming closer and all of her fears had returned to her. She quickly jumped back causing the dishes to fall from her hands. They crashed onto the marble floor as fear and embarrassment filled her eyes. Kiandra’s eyes darted from the broken glass to Kaiba’s eyes who were filled with shock. Her eyes welled up with tears, “I’m sorry” she squeaked.

Kiandra darted for the front door, passing a confused Mokuba, “Kia?” He started but couldn’t finish. She made it out the front door, her legs carrying her to god knows where. She knew she was heading home but she needed to keep running. Before she knew it, she was in front of her apartment complex, her lungs screaming for air and legs burning.

“I can’t believe I ran in boots…” She groaned. The tears had stopped as she wiped whatever strayed. Her phone had dinged, it was a message from Mokuba asking if she was ok. She sighed, guilt flooded her heart. She apologized for leaving like that and that she would see him tomorrow after school. Mokuba didn’t pushed further and only told her to get better soon.

Kiandra just couldn’t tell him. She made her way into the apartment to grab some water before heading to Yugi’s.