Status: I will try my best to also follow the shows story but I also like going my own path as well. I do hope you enjoy and I would love feedback. Maybe even feedback on the title because I'll be honest. Nothing came to mind at the moment ^^

The CEO's Assistant

Chapter Twenty: There's Hope For You

Copy, paste, print, correct, copy, paste. Kiandra’s eyes felt like they were bleeding for how long she had been staring at the computer screen, correcting documents and looking through emails. She stopped for a moment as she rubbed her tired eyes and squinted towards the clock on the screen. An hour before Mokuba would get out of school, thank goodness. “I don’t know how much more I can take” she muttered to herself, realizing she hasn’t taken a single break nor lunch.

“Sorry Kyoko” she whispered as she continued to type out the documents. Usually she had lunch with Kyoko but today she had too much to do. Marilynn gave her all of her work so she could be with Kaiba. They both had left a few hours ago as well for some meeting. Meeting her ass. She typed more fiercely as her anger started to build until a key from the keyboard flew out of place and smacked right into her face.

“Ah!” She yelped, leaning back and falling to the ground. Kiandra groaned with annoyance, “I hate today. I’m always getting hurt”. “Are you alright?” Someone asked with concern as he knelt down, offering a hand. “Yes I’m fine, just a bit of bad luck- Derek!” Her eyes widened when she made eye contact with the charming Derek Singleton.

“You don’t seem happy to see me?” He pouted but a smirk played on his lips. “I..uh..I” her blush had flared as she quickly fixed her office chair which still laid on the floor, “I am glad to see y-you M-Mr. Singleton” “Please, Mr. Singleton is my father. Call me Derek”. He brought her hand to his lips, greeting it with a gentle kiss.

‘Oh my’ Kiandra began think as a shiver was sent down her spine. Those gold eyes caused her to melt but her fantasy soon ended when a rough voice raised with anger, “What are you doing here?” Derek and Kiandra turned to find Kaiba glaring daggers toward Derek and Marilynn having a look of ‘you’re in trouble’. “Oh no…” Kiandra whimpered but she felt an arm slither around her waist and being pulled closer to Derek.

‘Like I couldn’t be more dead…’ she cursed under her breath when he took this action. Kaiba stormed up to him and did something unexpected. He reached over, grabbing Kiandra by the arm and tugging her toward him. It didn’t stop there, he stood a bit in front of her, his hand still gripping her wrist as he glowered at Derek. “What do you think you were doing with her?” He growled.

Derek raised his hands, a smirk still playing on his lips, “Just greeting your lovely assistant. I enjoyed her company at the dinner, but I’m not here just for her, though I wouldn’t mind” he sent a wink toward her. Kiandra felt small, but was mostly confused by Kaiba’s reaction. She could already feel Marilynn’s glare digging into her back.

“I’m not interested” Kaiba retorted, dragging Kiandra to the elevator. “Marilynn, finish any papers left to be done and you can go home” Kaiba said as he passed her with a very confused Kiandra stumbling behind. The moment the elevators closed she held her breath, awaiting any sort of lecture but nothing came. “Um…” She began, pulling to have her hand back. Kaiba immediately let go, a tinge of blush showed as he turned his face to hide it.

“Where are we going?” She asked, she couldn’t bare the silence and she did want to know where she was being kidnapped to. “To pick up Mokuba” he replied as if it wasn’t such a big deal. Kiandra blinked several times but then started to freak out in her mind, ‘we were supposed to practice!’ She continued to shout profanity to him in her head then sighed as if it took so much energy.

Kaiba gave her an odd look for all he saw was her making hand gestures and then burying her face in her hands with fake tears. The doors open as she followed him out toward the lobby. Kyoko glanced up but then took a double take when she saw both of them walking together. ‘What happened?’ Kyoko mouthed to her, she was shocked. Kiandra shrugged, walking backwards, ‘I don’t know’ she mouthed back as she turned on her heels to catch up with her stubborn boss.

The entire limo ride was unbearable. Kaiba sat right next to her and Kiandra fiddled with her fingers nervously as she saw Mokuba’s school insight. She didn’t want to bring up what happened back at the office. Why was he so protective at that moment? Isn’t he with Marilynn? The limo stopped as the car door opened to see a smiling Mokuba but his face turned into shock to find Kaiba in the limo. “Seto!” Mokuba excitedly shouted, hugging his brother.

Kiandra had to admit, it was an adorable sight to see Kaiba actually hug someone back. “How was school?” Kaiba asked in a tone she hadn’t heard him speak before. Mokuba started to talk about his day, the homework he had to do and what funny thing the teacher did. Kiandra smiled, watching the brothers bond until someone brought her out of her daze. “Kia, sorry I didn’t say hi” Mokuba spoke, he looked guilty for a moment.

She only shook her head and smiled, “Don’t worry one bit Mokuba. I’m so lost in my thoughts anyways haha” she laughed but regretted saying that for Kaiba had gave her an interested look. “Oh by the way! Kia, I have something awesome to show you the next time you come over” Mokuba changed the subject, now it was Kiandra’s turn to show an interested look. “I can’t wait to see” She smiled genuinely.

They had reached the house as the door was opened for them. Mokuba jumped out and before Kiandra could exit, Kaiba grabbed her wrist, gentler than he did earlier. “I’m taking you home” Kaiba answered her confused stare. “Aw” Mokuba pouted. “I’ll be back after dropping her off” Kaiba assured his little brother as the door to the limo was closed. The first couple minutes were silence once more till Kaiba cleared his throat.

“You need to stay away from Derek. He’s nothing but trouble” He glared out the window to his left. “It’s sort of hard when you are an assistant to the man he’s working for” Kiandra retorted, she didn’t want to snap but he had no right to tell her who she could and could not see. His head snapped to her surprised feature by his sudden action. Kaiba sighed as if rethinking whatever he was going to blurt out. “I’m only warning you” He huffed as the limo pulled up in front of the apartment complex.

Kaiba said nothing, she took it as a sign to leave. She opened the door but he called her causing her to turn to him as she was half way out of the limo. He was staring at the floor, his arms crossed. He had a look of frustration, he was fighting within his own mind. “I wanted to apologize for yesterday” Kaiba blurted out, earning a soft intake of breath from Kiandra. Before Kaiba could explain more she suddenly placed an assuring hand on his shoulder, a smile spreading across her face.

Kaiba couldn’t help but stare at her lips and how happy she looked, “its fine. Never happened” she walked out of the limo, closing the door and watching the limo drive away. Kiandra realized her heart fluttered when he looked at her that way while apologizing, she would have never guessed.

“Maybe there’s hope for you after all Mr. Kaiba” She chuckled softly, walking to her apartment for a well earn rest.