Status: I will try my best to also follow the shows story but I also like going my own path as well. I do hope you enjoy and I would love feedback. Maybe even feedback on the title because I'll be honest. Nothing came to mind at the moment ^^

The CEO's Assistant

Chapter Twenty One: Guilt

"Work with me cards!" Kiandra shouted toward her monster cards, which were scattered on her bedroom floor. She wanted to find a few good strategies, though it was harder than she could have expected. Even though all the cards worked well together, she could easily screw herself over if she made the wrong move.

Kiandra had recently returned from another long day at work but Kaiba hadn't shown up today. He only sent an email to both her and Marilynn on what needed to be done. The day was torture of course. Having to hear Marilynn complain that she had to do all her work this time. Bitch.

She sighed, gathering up her cards and shuffling them. "I'm making progress at least to understand my cards. No more stopping to read what each one can do" She spoke out loud to herself. "Kia! You have a friend at the door!" Lucinda shouted from the living room. Curious, she stood up and peeked out through her bed room door. It was Joey. She gasped, flinging her bedroom door open and running across the living room, tackling the poor blonde.

Joey yelped in surprise as he tried to hold her up without both of them falling, "It's good to see you too Kia" Joey gasped, feeling her bone crushing hug. Kiandra jumped back, laughing as she scratched the back of her head, "Sorry, been wanting to text you but work has been hell. I've missed you". Joey blushed, "Aw shucks Kia. It's ok. I wanted to stop by to see how you were. I had a feelin that Kaiba was working ya hard". Kiandra giggled, gesturing for him to sit down on the couch. "It's not that bad. If anyone is giving me trouble it's his damn assistant. Always throwing her work on me so she can go hump his leg" Kiandra spat as Joey took a seat at the couch.

Lucinda chuckled, "Looks like someone is jealous". Kiandra's eyes widened as her cheeks puffed out, "There's no way I'd be jealous! I feel bad for anyone that ends up with him really". Joey laughed, "Yeah, besides, Kiandra is way out of his league". "You're sweet Joey" Kiandra replied, smiling sweetly. Joey gave her a thumbs up with a smirk, "That's wat I'm here for".

"Would you like anything to drink before my lovely friend here opens her mouth with any more absurd obscenities?" Kiandra knocked Lucinda away with her hip so she could get to the fridge. Her friend stuck out her tongue, producing a rather loud raspberry. Kiandra copied while Joey got up with a smile, taking a seat at the counter "Anything is fine".

Kiandra poured some lemonade that she had made earlier for the three of them. While Lucinda and Kiandra carefully sipped theirs, Joey had already chugged it down with a satisfying sigh. "That was great! Thanks Kia" Joey smiled happily, handing her the empty glass. "You are very welcomed" She took the glass, placing it in the sink. "Have you thought of playing duel monsters yet?" Joey asked as Lucinda's smile widened. "A matter of fact, Kiandra- Ah!" "Oh dear! I'm so sorry" Kiandra gave a fake worried look when she 'accidently' poured all of her lemonade on Lucinda.

Before Lucinda could even glare, Kiandra stared her down. That's when she realized what she was about to say as she stuttered to find another thing to say, "I-I better go change! I'll be right back". Lucinda left the room as Kiandra sighed with relief when Joey didn't show any sign of being suspicious. "Sorry Joey. Not yet. I'm so busy with work, there's just no time. Maybe one day though" Kiandra lied. She didn't feel well doing so but it would give her a better chance without Kaiba finding out.

"Aw, well if you do let me know. I'd like to help you out". Oh that hit a guilt string. His smile was genuine and his voice sounded excited. "I'll let you know as soon as I do", that was even worse to say. Suddenly her phone dinged as she gave it a quick look. Mokuba had texted her, 'Friday will be the announcement! We need to practice!' Kiandra gulped and Joey noticed the worried look that fell upon her face, "You ok?" She jumped, placing her phone back into her pocket. "Nothing to worry about. Just mom saying she misses me" She smiled. The lies just keep on coming.

"Alright. If ya say so. I better be off before it gets dark. We need to hang out soon" Joey said as he got up from his seat, walking to the front door. "As soon as I can get away from my evil boss I'll let you know" Kiandra laughed as Joey joined in. They said their goodbyes as she closed the door, leaning on it. "I know you feel bad for lying but you shouldn't" Lucinda spoke, coming out of her room with her PJs. "I know. Still sucks though".

"It's early, but I'm going to lay down for awhile. Tomorrow I have to get up early for work. You'll be fine right?" Lucinda stated, grabbing a small snack. "I'll be fine. There's a good chance I'll go see Mokuba. We need to practice, I only have till Friday" She groaned, knowing she really needed to step up. "Wow, short notice huh? If you do go, let me know when you leave here and leave his house" "yes mother" Kiandra joked, earning another raspberry before Lucinda headed to her room.

Kiandra pulled out her phone, texting Mokuba back, 'Should I come over?' A few seconds later her phone dinged, 'My brother is home but I have an idea. I was able to talk to Yugi yesterday. We can practice at his house. Meet me there in an hour'. She glanced at the clock seeing it would be seven by then. "Hmm" She hummed, 'Your brother doesn't care?' Ding, 'I told him I'm going to a friend's to work on a project. He's too busy to see if I'm telling the truth anyways'. "Of course" Kiandra said to herself, 'I'll be there then'.

She placed her phone back into her pocket, getting her stuff together. Kiandra stopped for a moment, as if thinking all of this through. Kiandra had to remember that this wasn't any small tournament. It was a tournament hosted by Kaiba himself, meaning this wasn't just a game. She had to pull herself together and become more confident in her abilities. "I have to stop being such a coward....easier said then done" she sighed, strapping a small backpack to her back which held her deck and wallet. She even had to bring her wig and eye contacts for Mokuba had sent another text asking her to do so. Weird request but oh well.

"I'm going to Yugi's instead! Much closer than Kaiba's so be back soon!" Kiandra shouted, hearing a muffled 'ok' and 'be careful'. She locked the door behind her as she made her way to Yugi's. The sun was setting behind the large buildings creating beautiful rays of light to shine down on the darkening city. People still crowded the side walks and streets, mostly going home after a long day.

After being trapped in her own thoughts, Kiandra didn't realize she was already walking through the front door the of card shop. "Kiandra, good after noon. Yugi said you'd be coming over. He's in the living room" Mr. Muto, smiling happily. She bowed her head, smiling in return, "Thank you very much".

Sure enough, Yugi was in the living room, sitting on the couch looking through his deck. He looked up with an excited smile, "You're here! Mokuba hasn't arrived yet. Have you practiced?" Kiandra smiled weakly, plopping down next to him, "Sort of. I've been studying my cards. It was the only way to really practice at the moment". "Actually, that is practicing. Getting to know your deck is important. That's how you'll believe in the heart of the cards, by bonding with your deck" Yugi explained with such passion.

It was funny, her father used to say things like that all the time. It was as if Kiandra's father believed that the cards had feelings. "You sound a lot like my dad" She laughed softly, hearing the front door ring, announcing someone had arrived. It was Mokuba, running into the living room. "You ready Kia!" "Hello to you too" Kiandra and Yugi laughed by the excitement he was showing.

"I'm ready for whatever you throw at me" Kiandra felt she was going to regret saying that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Took a bit of time. Also, sorry I'm not too good with Joey's accent. I've never could figure out how to write accents even if I read up on how. I'll be trying my best so if some parts he sounds funny and some parts he doesn't, that's just me trying to see what works best. I keep watching videos of him talking and my brain still can't processed this lol. I still hope you enjoy either way ^^.