Status: This was a story I wrote for a school assignment a few years ago, and I never forgot it. I always had thought about taking it and making it bigger. So far, at least what I will post right now, is the assignment. I hope to make something more of this story, but until then, I hope you like it.

Winter

Chapter 4

“Winter, hurry up.” The sound of Carmon calling Winter’s name was strange to her. It sounded vaguely familiar. She looked around the forest scene. Where is his voice coming from? “Winter…… Winter. Hurry up, Winter.” The voice began to fade.

“Carmon, where are you?” she cried out into the forest that surrounded her. “Why can’t I see you?”

She heard a twig snap behind her. “But you can see me. Just wake up.” She spun around, but saw nothing. Her body shook and she started to cry. Then she began to hear his voice again. It started far off, almost like a whisper, and then eventually she was able to hear him clearly. “Wake up, Winter. Come on, wake up.”

Winter opened her eyes. The night was dimming outside of the hollow, signaling the sun’s unwelcome arrival. Muskar was standing over her, softly shaking her. She moaned, “I’m awake, Muskar.” She took several deep breaths and tried to slow her racing heart.

He jumped off of her. “You were having a nightmare. You were howling in your sleep. Something about “Comon”?”

She shook her head. “No, it’s Carmon. He is the black wolf from my dreams. Carmon is the name I gave him. I don’t know who he is, but I’ve had dreams about him for as long as I can remember.” She looked past Muskar, into the forest. “I wish to meet him one day…. Just meet him. Then maybe I could stop having these dreams and I can move on with my life.”

Muskar looked at Winter, and then turned back to look at the forest also. “Tonight we will have the meeting with the elder.” He looked at her again, a hint of a smile in his chocolate eyes. “Tonight, we’re finding your pack.”