Status: This was a story I wrote for a school assignment a few years ago, and I never forgot it. I always had thought about taking it and making it bigger. So far, at least what I will post right now, is the assignment. I hope to make something more of this story, but until then, I hope you like it.

Winter

Chapter 7

Under the full moon’s glow, large oaks cast their menacing shadows over the circle of silver heads of the pack. But it was far from a sad event. It had been exactly a month since Muskar had broken his leg. He had a fast recovery, and he walks on it like it never even happened. But tonight, no one was thinking of it. Tonight was the night Winter and Muskar returned to their pack.

Aqua and Scarlet walked into the vine hollow. Their fur was groomed and shiny. Muskar looked up from grooming Winter, and bowed his head respectfully. Aqua smiled at Winter. “It’s time.” Winter nodded, and Muskar helped her to her feet, her belly already growing from her pregnancy. The four wolves walk out side by side.

The males parted their circle when the four came close. Aqua and Scarlet stopped and stood in line with the males, while Winter and Muskar continued walking to meet the elder sitting in the middle. They bowed to him, and he began to speak. “Two years ago, we lost two pups who were born on the same night; pups born from the balance spirits, Yin and Yang. We thought we’d never see them again. But here they are, and we welcome them back into the pack with open arms.”

He looked at them in turn and then looked to the pack once again. “Our ancestors told me of their new names. These names they will keep forever, even when it is time for them to join our ancestors in the stars.” Elder Cosark turned to Winter first. “Our ancestors have chosen the name Pela, meaning “Snowy Night”, for you. Wear it well.” Pela bowed her head, thanking her ancestors.

He then turned to Muskar. “Our ancestors have chosen the name Desa, meaning “Midnight Star”, for you. Wear it well.” Desa bowed his head, thanking his ancestors. The elder nodded, then said to the pack, “Let it be known that tonight, Pela and Desa found their pack; their family. Let the spirits watch over them and their new pup. Let their lives prosper together and be filled with happiness and love. Welcome, Pela and Desa.” He threw his head back and howled. The pack resonded in an identical howl, including Pela and Desa.