In Exchange for Magic

47

We continued walking throughout the next day. I was finally fed up with the endless movement.

"Can't you just fly us home?" I snapped.
"Sweet," Ez sighed, limping. "I can barely walk, let alone fly."
I rolled my eyes and muttered under my breath, still angry about yesterday.

"Well, I'm not moving any more," I announced.
Ez rolled his eyes and nodded sharply to the elf girl, who sighed and strode over towards me. Before I could realize what she was doing, she'd picked me up and slung me over her shoulder. I struggled for a few moments, pounding my useless fists against her solid back. Eventually, I gave in and relaxed, flopping around as we covered more ground without me holding everything up.

We came to a crossroads, and Ez finally decided to stop for the night. The elf girl set me down and I slumped to the ground, glaring at both of them in anger.

The elf girl laughed quietly at me and took a deep breath.

"Look..." the she muttered. "I... I just want to thank you for-"
"Ugh!" Ez groaned. "Don't get all sappy!"
She gave a watery smile. "I'll try... I really want to thank you two for rescuing me. I know I haven't been the best of company... But... Well... Just... Thank you."
"You're welcome," Ez and I answered in unison. I shot him a dirty look, as if it was his fault that he'd spoken at the same time as me.

She sighed, rubbing her arm awkwardly.

"Well... I better be going now."
"What?" I cried. "You're leaving?"
She avoided my eyes.
"Why?" I demanded.
"You..." Ez stumbled. "I thought you were going to come and live with us!"

I huffed in annoyance. Us.

She sadly shook her head.

"No... I mean, it was really nice of you to offer, but I've got people waiting for me back in my colony."
"Where's your colony?" I asked. "Can I visit you sometime?"
"It's up north. I live in Hermithiah's Woods."

I instantly sensed Ez tensing.

"You... You live w-where?" he breathed, his eyes wide.
"Hermithiah's Woods," she answered again, confused.

Ez slowly got up off of the ground, his eyes trained on the elf girl. His hands were clenched into fists, something I noticed that he does so that people won't see him shaking. His chest was heaving as he breathed.

"You live where?"
"Hermithiah's Woods," she repeated. "What's the matter with you?"

"What's your name?" he barked, his terrified eyes still locked onto her.
"I... What?"
"What's your name?" he pleaded. "What's your name?"
"I don't-"
"Tell me!"

Surprised, she took a step backwards.

Ez softened. "Please..." he begged.
"Nienna," she answered timidly.

My heart started flopping around. For some reason, I sensed that Ez was on to something. His eyes pooled up and he unclenched his fists, allowing everyone to see his shaking hands.

"And..." he gasped, trying to keep his voice even. "And your last name?"
"Why do you-"
"Please," he said again, unable to keep his smile under control. "Your last name?"

"Ivorywing."

His knees gave out and he collapsed to the floor, his hands on his head. He quickly pushed himself back up and charged over to the elf girl. She looked scared at first and backed away. Ez launched himself at her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"I can't believe it!" he yelled, laughing. "I can't believe it!"
"What is wrong with you?" she cried, disgusted, and tried to push Ez off of her.

Ez finally let go and then turned to me. He shook me by the shoulders screeching, "Nienna Ivorywing! Ivorywing!"

I shoved his hands off me.

"What?" I asked. "What does Ivorywing have to do with anything?"

He sighed in happiness and turned back to the elf girl.

"N-Nienna?"
"What?"
"Is your mother's name Eleniel?"
"Y-Yes... How did you know that?"
"Eleniel Ivorywing..." Ez muttered, his excitement brimming over.
"Ez," I called nervously. "How did you know that?"

"Your mother... Her sister's banished, right?"
"Ez!" I protested. "That was rude! You shouldn't-"
"No," Nienna, the elf girl, shook her head. "My mother's sister died about a year before I was born."

Ez threw his head back and laughed. I stood stock still, shocked that he would do such a thing.

"That's what they would tell you!" he shouted.
The elf girl looked angry. "I don't know what the hell you're on about! But if you're going to stand there and laugh at my family-"
"You're aunt's name was Merilwen Ivorywing. She was a warrior and she could manipulate the air inside of plants. She-"
"Stop!" Nienna protested. "How are you doing that?"
"She used to tell stories to her sister, your mother."
"Stop it!"
"The one that your mother liked to hear best was about Prince Jude, wasn't it?"
"I said to sop!"
"And that was the exact same story your mother told you when you were little, wasn't it?"
"Stop!"
"Wasn't it?"
"YES!"

The elf girl finally broke.

"Everything you just said is true!" she shouted into Ez's face.
Ez's eyes widened in surprise.
"I'm sorry," he said. "I didn't mean to make you upset."
She calmed down, breathing heavily.

I was backed up against a tree, slightly frightened by the elf girl's screaming. I looked on in curiosity and wonderment.

"Please..." Nienna begged. "Tell me how you know all of this."
"Your aunt didn't die before you were born," Ez told her. "You were ten when she passed. You were ten... Just like me..."
"Ez," I asked him in a shy voice. "Are you saying...?"

"Your aunt didn't die before you were born," Ez repeated. "She was banished before you were born."
Nienna looked confused and surprised.
"She was banished for loving a vampire..." Ez continued. "Ezekiel Jonas Sullivan Senior. My... My father."

Her jaw dropped and she stared openly at Ez.

"So... You... You and I are..."
"Cousins!" I shouted. "Holy hell, you two are cousins!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Only a few more chapters left... Expect a very sad turn of events...

(Not to be a spoilsport, but DAMN some things are going to change)