In Exchange for Magic

48

Ez stared wide-eyed at Nienna. His cousin.

Cousin!

I just couldn't get over it!

"I... I don't know..." Ez breathed, still staring. "I can't... I can't think of anything to say."

He looked like he had the consistency of a noodle. If a strong gust of wind blew suddenly past, I seriously suspect it would blow him away. His face was pale, and he was softly trembling all over.

Then, with an unexpected leap, Nienna raced over towards him. She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tight. Ez responded vigorously, digging his fingers into her back.

This was a big deal for him. This was him finding a family member who didn't hate him for being what he was. This was him finding a piece of his mother. This was him finding a piece of himself.

He stepped back and reached under his shirt, pulling out that gold necklace I knew too well. My hand flew to my neck, and I remembered when I'd taken it off. I wondered now if Ez had made me remove it because it had been too extravagant... Or if Ez had made me remove it because he wanted to wear it again.

The elf girl's eyes widened into saucers as she stared at the glittering Elf-Gold. Ez reached around and unclasped it, letting it fall from his neck and into her fingers.

I felt a sudden surge of white hot jealousy. I knew that the necklace belonged to Nienna more than it did to me, and it was killing me. My eyes pricked.

The elf girl looked down at the delicately crafted heart in wonderment. She slipped the edge of her nail into a tiny crevice located at the side of the heart. Then she looked confused. Ez smiled and nodded at the pendant again. Nienna gasped in delight when she noticed the scratches of writing.

I burned. It was like they were having some secret conversation.

She muttered the Elven words that Ez had translated so long ago.

Everything will pass as it is meant to be.

Was this meant to be? Ez finding someone else he could be close to? Someone that he belonged with? Was it meant to be that that person wasn't me?

After the Elven words passed her lips, Nienna kissed the face of the heart pendant. She slipped her nail back into the crack that I'd assumed was there from old age.

It wasn't.

The crack in the necklace was there because the necklace wasn't just a necklace.

"A locket..." I breathed.

Ez and Nienna were too preoccupied to hear me.

They continued their silent conversation. Nienna looked at the inside of the locket and gasped in surprise. She smiled warmly up at Ez, who nodded.

"This is very rare, Ez."
"I know."
"Do you know who you...?"
"I think so. But I haven't checked."
"It's sort of obvious," she sighed.
Ez chuckled.

My heart seethed. I wanted nothing more than to read both their minds right now.

Nienna slipped the opened locked into Ez's outstretched hand. Before he could close his fist, she grabbed his wrist and pulled his hand up to her face. She smiled knowingly. Grimacing, Ez yanked his hand away from her and peeked at the locket. He blushed furiously and they both flickered a glance towards me.

Ez turned back to Nienna, a question in his eyes.

"Do it," she encouraged.
"But, I-"
"Now."

Ez clicked the locket closed, and I saw the elf girl frown. Ez hesitated, and then walked awkwardly over towards me. He was still blushing as he stopped in front of me.

"Rose," he said, more of a statement than a question.
"Ez," I replied, resisting the urge to say something spiteful.
"Here."

The locket dangled from his fingers, right in front of my nose.

"I don't need it yet," I told him, shaking my head. "We kissed the other day, remember? I've still got-"
"No," he stressed. "No... Here."
"What?"
"It's yours."
"No, dumbass, it's yours. What? You think I'm an elf now?"
He sighed. "It's yours because... Because I'm giving it to you."

I don't know what was on the inside of that locket, and I don't know why it made Ez want to give me such a beautiful gift but... As much as I would regret not asking him about it... I truly didn't care in that moment.

I stood stock still until Ez fastened it around my neck. As he leaned over, I reached my hand up and brushed two fingers softly against his cheek. He started, pulling back. He quickly got over his shock and wrapped me in a gentle hug.

I sighed and squeezed him to me. I lifted my head from his chest and pecked him on the chin.

Nienna was suddenly very interested in the fingernails on her left hand.

Ez tried to beat down a smile, but he failed. He grinned wide. Leaning down, he slid his hands up my arms and into my hair. He kissed me for a quick second, a lightning fast kiss.

He pulled away, thinking I'd be angry with him for being so forward. I tugged on the neck of his shirt and pulled him towards me again. We kissed gently, longer this time, but still too short.

It wasn't Ez's fault that we stopped kissing this time. It was gravity's.

We happened to be about three feet in the air, supported by a small bubble of swirling invisibility. I yelped as we fell, and stumbled when we landed.

"Sorry," Ez chuckled meekly. "I guess I wasn't paying attention."
I blushed lightly and laughed.

"I'm glad to see that I'm leaving on a good note," Nienna said, smiling and folding her arms.

"You're still leaving?" Ez asked, disappointed.
She shrugged. "Three's a crowd."
♠ ♠ ♠
OH MY GOD IT'S THE ONE WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!

AAAAH!

I can't wait to get back to school! I'm so excited to see everyone again :P

Uh, I'm bored. And I'm almost done with this story.

But I've started a new one, so don't worry. Anyone got any ideas for a name of an elephant? Yeah... It's going to be a... different story.