Status: Active <3

Trouble

Heartbreak

Mark’s mother had planned her trip for the month that signified Mark and I being together 7 months.
She arrived on the Saturday, and today was the Sunday, so we were meeting her for brunch.
“Do I look ok?” I asked as I stepped from my room, Mark was sitting on the couch watching a football game he looked me up and down “You look perfect” he said.
“Really? It’s not too much? I need to do my hair or something, right?” I asked.
“Why are you so nervous?” Mark asked.
“Because, the last time I met her we weren’t dating that long, it’s different now” I said.
“No, it isn’t, she already likes you, just relax” Mark said, shaking his head and standing up “Honestly, you don’t need to be so frantic” He added, grabbing my hands lightly.
“I just don’t want to make an idiot out of myself” I sighed.
“You won’t” Mark promised “Are we going?” He asked.
I nodded, pulling myself away from him and grabbing my bag.
We left for the short walk to the café for breakfast, Mark’s mother Elenor was meeting us there.
When she arrives she instantly pulled me into a hug “You look as beautiful as ever” She announced.
“Mum” Mark frowned “You’re embarrassing her” He added.
I bit my lip as his mother pulled away and we sat down “Sorry” She smiled.
“Don’t be” I shrugged.
“So you two, how are things?” Mark’s mother asked.
“Good” Mark said.
“How is work for you Simona, Mark tells me you’re one of the head nurses” Elenor sounded.
“Not quite, I think he oversold me a little” I sighed.
“You are pretty much second nurse in charge” Mark pointed out.
“I’m not, he just thinks I am, I’m just practically still a new graduate, compared to the older nurses” I said.
“Well non the less, I’ve heard my son gush over you” Elenor smiled.
“I do not gush” Mark frowned, causing me to smile.
“Why do you deny that you are head over heels?” Elenor asked, nudging her son.
Mark frowned again “Mum” He breathed.
“What, is it a secret?” Elenor asked.
Mark was still frowning, and the reason was clear, we were yet to use the ‘L’ word and I could tell Mark didn’t want to be discussing how he felt in front of his mother.
“I’m going to order some coffees” Mark said, jumping up.
I frowned now, it was like he was avoiding the conversation all together, I had noticed that he did that whenever we got to talking seriously about our relationship.
He didn’t give us a chance to say anything, he just took off.
“I sense I hit a nerve” Elenor said.
I bit my lip “We haven’t exactly said the L word yet” I breathed.
“Right, well, let me let you in on something, Mark isn’t great at expressing that feeling, he shy’s away from it a little, I guess I should have kept my mouth shut about it” Elenor sighed.
“Why does he shy away from it?” I asked.
“He hasn’t told you about Riley?” Elenor asked.
I frowned “No” I said.
“Oh” Elenor frowned “Well, I, it isn’t my place to tell you really” She sighed “I just assumed he had told you about her” she added.
“Is she an ex?” I asked.
Elenor nodded.
Mark had told me about other ex’s, ones that hadn’t lasted very long in his life, so why was this one such a big secret?
Mark came back now, and I couldn’t help but feel myself distancing from him slightly, I had told him all about my relationships, he knew about Dean, and about Ryan, and he knew almost everything about Nathan.
So it hurt that he could keep something from me.

We got through the brunch and once finished Mark walked me home.
I was silent the whole walk.
“Are you ok?” Mark asked as we reached my apartment.
“I’m fine” I breathed, hopping up the step and pushing open the door before walking towards my door.
“You don’t seem fine” Mark sounded.
I pushed open my door and turned “I am” I shrugged.
Mark frowned “Did my mother say something?” he demanded.
“I’m processing something she said” I breathed.
“What?” Mark sighed.
I bit my lip “Who’s Riley?” I asked.
Mark’s face instantly changed, he stepped back slightly “She told you about Riley?” he asked.
“No, she said it isn’t her place, she assumed you would have mentioned her to me” I breathed.
Mark breathed out slowly “Can we go inside to talk about this?” he asked.
“I don’t really want you to come into my place” I frowned.
“Don’t be dramatic” Mark said, shaking his head “It’s not something I want to discuss out here in the hall” He added.
“It seems it’s not something you want to discuss at all” I sounded, frowning.
“Why exactly did she mention her?” Mark asked.
“So now you’re deflecting and asking why she mentioned her, Mark, I shouldn’t have heard about her from your mother” I pointed out.
“I know but…” Mark attempted.
“I don’t understand why you’ve never mentioned her” I breathed.
“I’ll explain if we can go inside” Mark breathed.
I sighed, stepping aside and letting him in.
I sat on the edge of the couch and Mark sat near me, causing me to shift further away.
He frowned “It’s hard to talk about Riley, ok, that’s why I’ve never mentioned her before” He breathed.
“Do you think it was easy for me to talk to you about my ex’s?” I demanded “all three of them ended badly” I breathed.
“It’s a whole different ball field with Riley” Mark sighed.
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“Riley broke my heart, she was my first serious girlfriend and we had been dating a while, I was falling for her and I thought she felt the same, on our first valentine’s day together, I went to surprise her with breakfast in the morning, she had given me a key, I let myself in and I searched for her, she was in bed with another guy, not just any guy, my best friend” Mark breathed.
“Why couldn’t you tell me about her?” I asked.
“I haven’t spoken about Riley in a long time, I know that isn’t an excuse, since you did tell me about your ex’s, and I know you don’t like talking about them either, but for me, it was a double blow, I lost my girlfriend and my best friend, they had been together behind my back for months” Mark breathed.
I didn’t know what to say to that, I was still slightly frustrated that he didn’t focus on one thing, why was it so hard for him to express his feelings, just because this happened to him, doesn’t mean he has to be closed off.
♠ ♠ ♠
:P

Simz