Cursed

Ett

Zara stood poised behind Malekith as the three enemies approached. She detected the Aether’s presence in the female, and almost immediately things spiralled out of control. Thor lost an arm and Loki declared himself of Jotunheim, proudly offering the Aether to Malekith. Malekith and Zara drew the Aether out of the woman’s body as quickly as they could, and Zara then directed it into Malekith. Thor’s attempt to destroy the Aether failed, but the lightening coursed across the magic threads and into Zara. A jolt sent her flying away from the rest of the Dark Elves, and she skidded across the barren landscape. The black dirt darkened her dress, and she lay there stunned.

When Zara was finally back on her feet she saw that Malekith’s ship was leaving, clearly intending to abandon her. She attempted to focus her energy so she could teleport onto the ship, but it was too difficult due to the lightening that had travelled through her magical mind. An armoured forearm suddenly crossed her chest and heaved her backwards into a sturdy torso. Iron touched her throat and a burning sensation radiated across her skin.

“You have caught me off guard; it won’t happen again,” she said in English, the common tongue between realms, to the man behind her. Had she not been struck by lightening, her magic would have been at full strength and the one behind her would have been injured by now.

“Oh I doubt it. I’m very sly,” Loki’s voice murmured from behind her. Keeping the knife to her throat, he used his other arm to grab onto her long braid and allowed the Dark Elf to turn. Loki’s iron blade remained an inch from her throat as he studied her face. “Tell me, who are you?” Zara gave him an unblinking stare, her bright blue eyes piercing through Loki.

“The Dark Elf goddess Zara, of Svartalfheim,” she replied as she found the power to lift a boulder behind Loki, hoping that she would be able to knock him unconscious.

“Goddess or sorcerer?” Loki questioned before shattering the rock into a million pieces. Zara couldn’t help but grin at his remark.

“Is there a difference?” she shrugged. “And to whom do I-” she glanced down at the blade to her throat, “-owe this pleasure?”

“Loki.”

“Of…?” Zara wondered. Even though earlier he had said that he was of Jotunheim, he seemed Asgardian because of his armour and appearance.

“Does not matter,” Loki brushed the question off, mainly because he himself was uncertain. He was unwelcome in both realms. “I can sense your power. Why is someone like you following Malekith?”

“Aren’t you aware of my curse?” Zara answered quietly as she willed the symbols to appear. The black marks showed on her arms for a brief second before melting back into her pale skin.

“Ah yes… I think I have read about you,” Loki muttered to himself as he thought back to one of the books he had cherished when he was a child. He had believed it to be full of myths and adventurous tales, but the cursed Dark Elf goddess was now before him. “And you belong to Malekith?” Zara winced at the wording.

“I am currently serving him, yes. He has bound me by magic to do his bidding,” she answered, now intrigued by why Loki was interested in talking with her instead of immediately capturing or killing her.

“So you belong to him,” Loki reiterated, making Zara clench her jaw.

“I belong to no one,” she growled.

“Yes, you are very free, aren’t you, my dear?” he chuckled while pressing the side of the iron blade against her throat. Zara couldn’t move because of his tight grip on her braided hair, and she ground her teeth together to prevent herself from crying out in pain. After Loki had decided that she had suffered enough, he pulled back and watched as Zara devoted magical energy to healing the seared wound. He smirked as it occurred to him that she could be a great asset. “Do you know where the portal to Asgard is?”

“Why would I tell you?” Zara replied, a smile of disbelief across her plump lips. A split second later and a frown replaced it as Loki sliced the iron dagger across her shoulder, leaving a decent sized gash. He quickly pressed his thumb into the wound and Zara sank down, trying to get away from the pain. She mentally cursed Malekith for allowing her to be hit with lightening and become weakened.

“Do I need to spell ‘prisoner’ for you?” Loki hissed in Zara’s ear before removing the pressure from her wound. Her chest rose and fell quickly as she sent the remainder of her power to heal the laceration.

“We had better start walking.”