Cursed

Tre

“… And remove the ties of Malekith the Accursed and bind her to me, Loki Laufeyson,” Loki spoke in accented Dark Elvish, finishing the spell that Zara had written down for him. He had taken her to a secluded island in Asgard, and the peaceful surroundings of luscious green nature was suddenly interrupted by Zara’s screams. The symbols on her skin had resurfaced during the spell, and now they were glowing a burning red. Loki watched on with a blank stare and noticed that some of the sigils were changing.

Zara fell to her knees and the markings faded from scorching scarlet to the typical ash black. She heavily breathed and the symbols faded once more, leaving her white porcelain skin unscathed. Sensing that the ritual was done, Loki stepped forwards and offered his hand. Zara took it and lifted herself to her feet. She could feel the change and knew that she was gravitating towards the magician in front of her instead of craving for Malekith’s location.

“Well…?” Loki spoke with a hint of doubt. Zara turned over his palm and revealed to him the fading Dark Elvish sigil of ownership. She then lifted her eyes from their joint hands and her cuffs.

“What is your first command?” she replied and a smirk flicked across Loki’s thin lips. With a wave of his hand, the iron cuffs disappeared from Zara’s wrists, though he kept the iron blade secured at his hip.

“I want you to aid me with stealthily imprisoning Odin, the King of Asgard,” he ordered, knowing that it was a task he could do himself. Loki simply wanted to test if the spell had truly worked and if she would be loyal to him.

“As you wish,” Zara nodded. She was unable to control her smile of anticipation.

Image


Malekith grew tired of being unable to locate Zara. Someone had masked her location from him, which meant that she was being held captive. He planned his attack on Midgard, knowing it would draw Thor out and then he could hopefully negotiate to retrieve his powerful weapon. Despite having the Aether fused with him, Malekith was aware that the battle would be tricky without Zara’s aid.

His ships arrived in Midgard and remained cloaked from anyone’s view. As he was about to give the order to attack, Malekith felt a magical tugging within his gut. Something inside him was unravelling and it would not stop. With a growl, Malekith upturned his palm and his eyes widened with panic. The symbol that proved he owned Zara was disintegrating. Someone had freed her from his command! The disappointment was replaced with fierce fury.

“Attack!” he commanded as he closed his palm into a tight fist. He swore to himself that whoever did this would pay.

Image


“Why not kill him?” Zara pondered aloud as she slowly walked around Odin. He had been shackled to a chair in his chambers, the combination of Zara and Loki’s magic on the metal making it impossible for Odin to break free from.

“Many reasons,” Loki replied quietly as he ran his fingertips lightly over Odin’s golden sceptre, which now belonged to him.

“Loki, if you-” Odin began, but a wave of Loki’s wrist forced his cracked lips together.

“What are you planning now?” Zara asked when Loki jolted the staff against the floor. Magic spiralled upwards and cloaked him in golden armour and his horned helmet. A dark green cloak flowed down his back and Zara spotted mischievousness glinting in his eyes.

“I will rid Asgard of my brother and then take it for myself,” he said while striding towards the door.

“How?” Zara called out after him, leaving the royal chambers and going down a golden hallway lit with torches.

“Just watch,” Loki grinned, clearly anticipating the events to come. Zara looked on as he seemingly effortlessly disguised himself as the spitting image of Odin. When she heard other footsteps approaching, she made herself invisible but stayed by Loki’s side.

“Thor has returned! He wishes to see you!” an Asgardian guard informed who they believed was Odin. Loki nodded and continued walking.

“Send him to the throne room,” he ordered and the guard scurried away urgently.

Once the pair arrived there themselves, Loki sat in what he knew was truly his, and Zara stood on a lower step. She kept a close eye on Thor as he approached and informed them that Malekith was presumed dead on Svartalfheim, and that the Aether was going to be retrieved for safe storage. Loki even offered Thor the throne of Asgard, but he denied, and Loki encouraged him to visit his woman in Midgard. Thor said he would gladly do so, and then left for the bifrost. Once he was gone, the disguise vanished and Zara allowed herself to become visible once more.

“The biggest threat is about to leave,” Loki grinned wickedly. “Next step: destroying the bifrost.”