You Stupid Girl

S.S.

Damon was avoiding me. At least that was the conclusion I came to. Since our little talk, he has said nothing to me for three days. Most of the time he wasn't even here, leaving me alone in the huge house by myself. It was weird since he usually never wanted me by myself, and now it was like he wanted the vampires who were after me to get me. Or maybe he was testing me. Maybe it was a test to see if I would do something stupid. Yeah, right. I was usually too terrified to even leave the house even though nobody was here to stop me. I spent most of my time downstairs reading a book that I would find laying around in the house. Sometimes I would even listen to my iPod, but that was rare since I wanted it quiet to hear for any strange noises. So far there has been none.

"Hey, Damon," I greeted, not even looking up from my book. Nearly the same time every day he came into the living room with a bottle of alcohol and would leave when I would greet him. It was beginning to piss me off since he would act like I didn't exist. How hard is it to say 'hey' back to someone?

Just as I expected, the footsteps entering the room turned around to leave. I groaned loudly knowing that he heard it. I placed the bookmark into the book before placing down beside me on the couch. My eyes fell on his back as he was walking away.

"What's your problem, Damon?" I asked, standing up from the couch with my arms crossed over my chest. I had enough of him ignoring me. It wasn't normal and I wanted to know what was up. "All you do is ignore me and avoid me as if I'm some plague. It's like you no longer give a shit about me! I liked the old you. The over-protective, usually a dick, you. It's what I've gotten used to." I knew I probably sounded childish, but I didn't give a damn.

Damon turned around and was smirking at me. He took another drink straight from the bottle before walking to me. He stood so close that I had to glance up at him. His blue eyes pierced into mine and I could smell the alcohol on his breath.

"I know you do, sweetheart," Damon whispered before walking away from me.

"Really, Damon? What the hell? Why are you avoiding me?" I asked. I was about to get down on my knees and plead with him to tell me why. That's how desperate I was wanting to know. I don't know why, but it seriously did bother me that he kept avoiding me. Nobody else was, so why did he?

"Because you are one messed up girl," Damon told me before vampire speeding away.

I stared into the empty space where Damon had been. Was it really my fault that I'm messed up? What exactly was I messed up about? Because I tried to kill myself? I don't even remember why I tried to in the first place. I just remember that he saved me. Just like how he has saved me from those vampires. Does it have to do with my family history that nobody will even tell me about? Or was it about our talk? Most in which I didn't remember either other than the fact he told me that he was there for me, and he wasn't really keeping that promise.

"Hey, are you okay?" Stefan was waving his hand in front of my face. I didn't even realize that I had spaced out.

"Uh, yeah, I guess. Do you know why Damon is avoiding me?" I asked Stefan for about the third time in the past twenty-four hours. Stefan let out a sigh before running his hand through his hair. I knew he didn't know. It was the same answer every time I asked. "I'm sorry," I said before Stefan could even answer. "It's just weird, y'know? I got him to talk to me, but something is off. His reason was because I'm 'one messed up girl'." I finger quoted what Damon said to me. "Am I really that bad that someone would avoid me?" I asked with a hint of sadness.

"Of course not, Kaitlyn. Damon just has his issues like always. If you don't feel safe here during the day, you can still come to school with me. It's where you belong. You can make new friends and forget all about Damon and whatever is going on with him." I let out a groan as Stefan brought up the school topic again. One brother was avoiding me and the other kept bringing up school. Both were really getting on my nerves.

"How about you tell me my family's history. I know that you know, so don't deny it. Last I knew, three vampires were still after me. I deserve to know why, Stefan. Please tell me. Damon won't and nobody else will either. Why is it even a secret to begin with?" I frowned before sitting down on the couch.

"There's only two after you now. Damon and Klaus killed another yesterday," Stefan said before sitting next to me. Well this was new to me. Guess Stefan forgot to mention that yesterday. Damon could have even told me.
"It's a secret to keep you safe. The more you know, the more danger it could put you in. Let's put it this way. Your ancestors were part of a secret society in a way. Damon and I actually knew them back then. They would hunt and kill everything supernatural, which is why many supernatural creatures, mostly vampires, are after you. They still hold a grudge against your family because they lost loved ones. The people part of the secret society wouldn't just kill them though. They were tortured for answers. They were fascinated about anything supernatural and wanted to know how they lived and any information they knew about the afterlife. Of course almost every supernatural being takes those secrets to the grave. When the group didn't get answers, they found ways to make them talk, and if they didn't talk, they would kill them. They would then find another supernatural being to take that one's place and the cycle started over. They were mostly interested in vampires and witches. Witches usually just scared then with their witchcraft, while vampires were the ones who were tortured," Stefan told me as I blinked a few times to take in everything he said.
"You are the last surviving member of the family, but it wasn't until something interesting surfaced about your family's history that they actually learned about you. They thought the whole family line was gone years ago when vampires began sticking together to get rid of the secret society. They had killed every member of the society, as well as anyone they were related to for revenge. What they didn't know was about a baby who had been adopted from your side of the family. It was your great grandmother I believe. Not only had she been adopted, but she had a daughter who was also. Then her daughter was. I know you don't know anything about your parents, the people who raised you, but they weren't your biological parents. You are also adopted, Kaitlyn. From as far as we could trace, your biological mother and father are already dead as well as their relatives." Stefan was watching me as I took in all of this information about my family. Did the vampires kill all of my biological family?

"So, I am literally the last of my biological family? There is nobody else? Vampires already killed them?"

"Some we know were killed by vampires, while others we don't know how they died. From what Klaus learned, over sixty vampires have been killing the biological and adoptive families for the past two years when one vampire found out about the original adoption of your great grandmother. When they thought all was gone then, they learned of her daughter. It involved even more tracking down of those family members. Most of the vampires gave up after finding out about more adoptions. They thought they killed enough, and the families they did kill had known nothing about them. Some realized that they were just killing innocent people oblivious to the supernatural world. What was the point of tracking all these people down if they didn't know? A few still wanted revenge though. One vampire happens to be a vampire who had been tortured but managed to escape." Stefan got quiet as I took in this information as well. Something seemed a bit off with the story though.

"How did he manage to escape? Is he dead now?" I was afraid of the answer. Maybe I rather not know my family history.

"Not a single vampire knows where he currently is, but the few Klaus got answers from said he's still alive, watching and waiting," Stefan said quietly and I nodded my head.

"Waiting for the perfect time to kill me, or waiting for the family line to end?" Stefan didn't answer me, but I knew it was probably both. "How did he escape?" I asked again.

"By killing his torturers that night. He was much stronger than they were. He was the one who came up with the idea to kill them all and their families. He's not going to stop until he's dead or you are." Stefan was being serious and it frightened me more. There was a vampire, probably older than Damon and Stefan both, and it was determined to see me dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the lack of updates, but I've been sick. Hope you guys like this chapter. By the way, the chapter name S.S. stands for Secret Society. It's also my initials xD