You Stupid Girl

Stay

I woke up less confused than the first time. Taking a glance towards the chairs, I realized that my mother still wasn't here. I tried to think back to what the nurse had told me before everything went black. Something about 'withdraw being hard'. What was that supposed to mean? It then dawned on me. The sheriff must have found whatever drugs Mom had in the car, and since I was the only one found at the scene of the accident, she assumed it was mine. That was just fantastic.

I began searching my hospital room for an escape route. There was no way I was staying here. If I did, I'd probably end up in jail for something that was in my possession, or at least how they saw it. And to think that a few days ago I thought my life couldn't get worse. I was now homeless, injured, orphan eighteen year old who was in a new town and could be facing possible jail time. I haven't even been here for one day!

After carefully pulling the tubes and wires out of my arms, I quickly got up and grabbed my bag of clothing. The beeping of the machine let me know that I didn't have much time to escape. I took my chance and slipped out of the room still in the hospital gown. My bare feet softly thumped against the cool, white tiles as I quickly walked away from the room I was just in. The halls were empty, at least for now, which I was thankful for. Turning a corner, I walked right into someone causing my head to hit their chest. My head had a dull pain thanks to whatever pain medications I had been given.

"Going somewhere?" a man asked, placing a hand on my shoulder. I shook my head no without even looking at him and shrugged his hand off my shoulder. "I'm assuming you're the druggie." I took a glance at his face to see him smirking. He gave me a weird look before his icy blue eyes gazed into mine. "Why are you here?"

"My mother and I were coming to stay with family," I answered in a monotone voice.

"Where is your mother?"

"I don't know."

"What happened last night?"

"Mom slammed on the brakes and I hit my head. She then screamed. I tried looking for her, but couldn't find her. A lady found me and called for help."

"You will not remember the conversation we just had. Go back to your room and stay until I say you can leave."

I blinked as I stared at the man I walked into. I took in his appearance before apologizing and walking back towards the hospital room I had been staying in. After closing the door, I began changing into the clothes I had on. My blue jeans had a few blood stains on them, but were still wearable. As for my shirt, well it was pretty much soaked with blood. How much blood did I lose?

I got back in the hospital bed and just sat there. After a few moments of silence, I realized that someone had turned the monitor off. When did someone do that? Who was it even? Maybe I did lose a lot of blood and needed to rest. I laid back down before pulling the thin blanket over me. It didn't keep me warm the slightest bit, but it would do.

I woke up to voices in my room. None of them were my mother's, but I did recognize the sheriff's. My eyes opened to reveal her as well as the man from earlier. They stopped talking once they realized I was awake. The sheriff glanced from the man to me before speaking.

"I brought you some clothes. They are my daughter's, who is your age and close to your size, so they should fit you. You are free to go as soon as you're dressed. Do you have somewhere you can stay?" I gave her a weird look as she handed me the clothing. Why the sudden change?

"I can't go," I told her. I wasn't even sure why I told her that. Of course I wanted to leave the hospital, it was like a prison to me.

"You can leave," the man told me as he watched me suspiciously. I shrugged, believing what he said was true.

"I don't even have a place to go. I don't know who my family is here." I suddenly remembered my mother. "Have you found my mom yet?"

"We are looking into it," the sheriff reassured me before taking a glance at the man.

"You are welcome to stay at my place," he offered, sending me a smile. I kindly rejected his offer. Why would I stay at the place of some mystery man? "I promise I don't bite," he smirked, gazing into my eyes. Did I really want to stay in the hospital, or would I rather stay with a stranger who seemed to be friends with the sheriff? After thinking it over, I agreed.

The two left the room so I had the privacy to change. I put on the blue jeans before carefully pulling on the blue, long sleeve shirt. I slipped on my black boots before placing my bloody clothing back into the bag. I glanced at my hoodie, frowning at the blood that stained it as well, before placing it in the bag also.

I opened the door to reveal only the man. I took in his appearance once again, noting that he had the same clothes on hours before. That gave me some kind of idea as to what time it was, which was probably late in the afternoon...unless the guy never changes clothes. He had a black button up shirt with a black leather jacket over it. Black jeans as well as black boots covered his lower body. I glanced up to his face to see his blue eyes piercing into mine. I stared down at the floor, realizing that I was probably staring at him a little too long.

"Let's go," he said, causing me to look up at him once again. He began walking and I soon followed since I wasn't sure as to exactly where I was going.

We soon walked past the sheriff as she spoke to someone at the front desk. She excused herself when she caught us leaving.

"Damon, watch her and make sure nothing else happens, or I'm holding you accountable," she warned the man, whose name was Damon.

"Yes, mother," he muttered before looking at me and sending a sly smile.

"Thank you for the clothes. I'll give them back as soon as I can," I smiled at the sheriff.

"It's fine. Caroline doesn't mind at all," she reassured me. I'm guessing Caroline was her daughter.

"And thanks for believing me...about my mom." I sent another smile before glancing down shyly.

"Some new evidence came up, but we'll talk more about it tomorrow. You still need to rest," she told me in a motherly tone. I nodded my head before saying bye and leaving the hospital with Damon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Obviously, this doesn't follow the story line from the show. It will still involve most of the characters though. Comments?