You Stupid Girl

Regret

I continued staring at Elena in shock.This was all too surreal. I did not just drink a man's blood. This was a dream. A very horrible one at that. They would have never let me die, none the less turn into a monster.

"Kaitlyn," Elena said carefully as she came to my side. I ignored her as my thoughts were all over the place. I was trying my best to convince myself that none of this was true. I didn't die. I wasn't a vampire. Maybe all this was just one long nightmare because I was in a coma after the wreck. Maybe Mom and Dad were still alive. Maybe I had died in the wreck and this was my own personal hell. Did I do anything to deserve this. "Kaitlyn!"

"What?!" I shot Elena a glare before apologizing.

"I am here for you. We all are," Elena told me before pulling me into a hug. I began crying on her shoulder as everything sunk in for the final time. I was a vampire, meaning that I did die with vampire blood in me. I did just drink a man's blood. All of this had been real. I had friends who were here for me every step of the way. This was my life now.

Elena's phone went off and I pulled away so she could read the text. She let out a sigh before explaining to me that Damon and Stefan were wondering where we were, but mostly me. I wiped the excess blood off from around my mouth as we made our way back to the house in silence. When we entered the house a very outraged Damon and worried Stefan appeared. While Damon chewed out Elena for taking me out of the house, Stefan pulled me into a hug realizing that I had chosen to be immortal. I sent him a weak smile as I pulled away before sending a glare at Damon.

"Leave her alone, Damon. I asked her to sneak me out. If you want to be mad at someone, then be mad at me," I said in hopes of getting his anger off of Elena since she helped me.

"Which was a really stupid thing to do, Kaitlyn." I rolled my eyes as I half listened to Damon's rant about what could have happened if things went wrong. Of course I had trusted Elena which is why I went with her. At least she didn't have an anger problem and snapped at the smallest things.

"Damon, what's done is done. Get over it." What I said just infuriated him more.

"Kaitlyn, you are the reason you're in this mess to begin with! If I had been here you would be still alive. Of course I left it to my brother and his girlfriend to protect you and look where that's gotten you!"

"You have a way with words, brother," Stefan said as I glared.

"It's nobody's fault. You were the one who left. I didn't make you. Stefan and Elena tried to protect me. If it wasn't for your brother I would be dead, so thank you, Stefan. Thank you both for trying." I sent Stefan and Elena a smile.

"Of course you would take their side and blame me! Somehow it's always my fault!" Damon threw his hands up in the air before pushing past us and leaving, slamming the door behind him.

"Did he seriously not hear me say that it was nobody's fault?" I sighed as I shook my head in disbelief. Damon would hear whatever he wanted to.

"He'll get over it," Stefan said and I smiled.

"I remember everything he compelled me to forget," I frowned as I remembered. I knew that it had been me who asked to forget about my parents, I just didn't know why he agreed to it.

"Now that you're a vampire he can't compel you. Only the Original vampires can, so I would be careful around them," Stefan warned.

"So, should we go over vampire basics?" Elena asked a little too happily and I rolled my eyes.

"What? Are you telling me that you have a vampire school now?" I joked.

"No, but there is some stuff you should know since you don't really know a lot to begin with," Elena explained.

"Like...?" I raised a brow in question.

"How we survive," Stefan answered as we went down into the basement. "Unlike Damon, some of us don't constantly feed off of people. Instead we use blood bags." I nodded after realizing that there was a lot I probably needed to know, and it seemed to me that Stefan and Elena were going to be my teachers which I was thankful for.

I spent most of the day learning what I needed to as well as drinking from quite a few blood bags to quench my hunger. I was also just spending time with Stefan and Elena since I didn't exactly want to be around people yet. A part of me still believed that I would lose it and accidentally kill someone which was what I didn't want to do. It was funny how things have changed so quickly for someone who was afraid of leaving the house in fear of being hunted to now being in fear of being the hunter.

When Damon finally came back I knew I needed to talk to him. Stefan and Elena were doing their own thing so I went upstairs to Damon's room since he was avoiding us. I didn't bother knocking as I opened the door to find him laying on his bed with a bottle of alcohol in his hand. "What?" he asked without even looking at me.

"Can we talk?" I asked quietly in fear of angering him again.

"I thought you wanted me to leave you alone. After all I was the one who didn't save you. You were also the one who wanted me gone because I'm the worst person you've ever known and I ruined your life." I frowned at what Damon was bringing up.

"Yet you came back for me. You are still here now even though you could have left again. Why did you stay this time?" I questioned.

"I live here, Kaitlyn."

"It didn't stop you before," I mumbled as he glanced towards me this time.

"Things have changed. You are no longer human and need protection. You are now free to do whatever you want just like what you have always wanted." Damon sat up before taking a swig of his beverage.

"So you want me gone?" I asked as I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned against the wall.

"I don't care, Kaitlyn. You will do whatever you want anyway. I'm not making you leave or stopping you if you decide to. It's your life. You make your own decisions."

"So now that I'm a vampire you no longer care what happens to me or what I do?" I asked, making sure I was hearing this right. Something told me that he did still care.

"Would it matter, Kaitlyn? I cared about what happened to you, you should know that. As for what you do now, I don't care. You didn't want my help and look at what you are now. You are one of us, something I didn't want you to become." Damon said as he stood up and walked over towards me. "You can do whatever you want no matter how stupid of an idea I think it is. I'm not going to try and stop you. You won't be able to blame anyone but yourself if you do something stupid now, and I know that will happen because you are a stupid girl." I could feel the tears in my eyes as Damon opened the door and motioned for me to leave.

"I get it, Damon. I make stupid decisions. I make those stupid decisions in order to protect myself which doesn't always work as planned. I know that I have myself to blame because you weren't there to protect me and there was a strong chance I would still be human." I shook my head before letting out a long sigh and leaving his room mumbling, "I regret wanting you gone."