You Stupid Girl

Protectors

I let out a groan as I called out to Stefan for the fifth time as I followed him into the house. He was either too deep in thought or ignoring me. My guess was he was deep in thought. He yelled Damon's name as I went and sat down on the couch. When Damon joined us he avoided my gaze as Stefan caught him up to what he just learned about me.

"Atkins?" Damon questioned as his eyes met mine. He scanned me over as if he was trying to figure out if I was an actual member of the bloodline or not. Guessing he knew them as well.

"What are you two not telling me now?" I asked as I eyed them suspiciously.

"Tell her, Damon. She needs to know." Stefan crossed his arms as he gave a stern look to his brother.

"Know what?" I was getting tired of playing games with them. Since I was a vampire now, I think I deserved the truth. It wasn't like I was a child.

"James Atkins was a distant relative of yours. I may have killed him..." My eyes narrowed as I tried to figure out what to say or do. Was Damon confessing to killing some of my family members? Had they both known this the whole time. Stefan seemed surprised so maybe they didn't.

"May? Either you did or you didn't. Or did you change him?" Instead of getting an answer from Damon, Stefan began telling me a story about some dead distant relative of mine.

"James and his wife, Lily, were one of the few families who stayed away from what was happening to the vampires, witches, and werewolves. Instead of turning them over they would hide them and save them from the torture they would have to endure if they were found. Their home was a home to any supernatural being. They did their best to protect them for as long as they needed since they did not agree with what was happening."

"So if they were such good people then why did Damon kill him?" I asked Stefan specifically since I wasn't sure if Damon would tell me or not.

"Long story short, I needed to feed and James just happened to be in the middle of the woods," Damon answered. "It was a wrong place wrong time kind of deal." I didn't say anything since I didn't know the guy to begin with and in some degree I understood why Damon did so. Well, maybe not the killing part.

"You're not mad..." Stefan and Damon both were now watching me closely. How did they expect me to react? To go on a murdering spree? Attempt to kill Damon or possibly just yell at him for what he did? It happened so many years ago. Long before I was even born!

"It's not like I knew the guy. I'm more worried about why my family had to be eliminated. I am literally the last member of the family and I'm technically dead! So in a way they did succeed at doing what they wanted," I said as I realized that I was indeed dead.

"Sorry, Kaitlyn. I'm not sure why your family was targeted." Stefan gave me an apologetic smile.

"It's fine. Guess it doesn't really matter to begin with. What's done is done. I honestly would rather go back to not knowing anything about my biological family. I wish to be the unpopular senior that lived in Maine. It might not have been easy, but it is much better than the mess I've been through in the past few weeks. Who knew my life would change so fast?" I let out a slight sigh as I stretched my legs in front of me.

"Obviously not you," Damon muttered before leaving the conversation all together. Guess he was still avoiding me.

"Look at the bright side..." I gave Stefan an 'are you kidding' look. What bright side was there for me? "You have friends now. Some you'll have eternity with."

"Oh joy!" I said sarcastically even though having friends I would be spending eternity with wasn't a bad thing. "Look at the dull side. I will never be able to start a family. I'll see so much death. Almost everyone I know and love will die sooner or later. One day I'll probably die a tragic vampire death and be gone for good!"

"Kaitlyn," Stefan sighed at how pessimistic I was. "Things will get better. Sure you can't start a family, but you are a lot stronger and faster than a human being. You can heal quickly and even heal others with your blood. And I'm sure you will love compelling people." Stefan was trying his best to make being a vampire sound better for me. I knew deep down he even hated what he was.

"Yeah, yeah. All those lovely perks of being a vampire. Then there is the fact that I have to live off blood. It all sounds so delightful. Where do I sign up? Oh, right. I already did." I cracked a smile since I was no longer being serious and trying to lighten the mood.

"Get some sleep, Kaitlyn. We'll go out tomorrow so you can be part of the population again. I'll make sure you don't try to eat each passing person." I rolled my eyes as he smiled at me.

"You have such little faith in me," I joked even though I was slightly terrified that I would make myself known to the world by not controlling my compulsions. That was a thought that kept crossing my mind. Every worse scenario played through my head and I knew it would probably be worse tomorrow when I was back out in public.

"You'll be fine," Stefan assured me as if he read my mind. "Don't worry about it right now. Just get some sleep." I nodded before standing up and giving him a hug.

"Thanks Stefan... for everything." I gave him a smile before heading upstairs to my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Super sorry that this took so long to update. I have writer's block as well as not wanting to write kind of moods. Then there is the fact that I've been busy or watching True Blood. Thank you all to kept with the story. I will keep this story going, but I need some ideas other than putting Damon and Kaitlyn together. It will happen soon. So comment some suggestions and I will try to update again soon.