Status: In progress

Half a Heart

Amar no es renunciar a la propia libertad, es darle un sentido

-Maria:
It's been a couple of weeks since Barcelona. I've been distracted by school, since I'm practically swimming in homework and preparation for finals, I haven't been allowed to step out the house whilst this was going on, apparently mom wanted me to focus and give my all for school. Things with Leo had gotten better, it was still hard that he was so far away, but we called and skyped each other often, making it a little bit easier. I sighed and continued studying math when there was a sound from my computer, I walked over to it and saw Leo calling me. I answered and his face plopped up on the screen. I smiled widely at him.

"Amor!" he said brightly, but frowned a little at my appearance. I was exhausted and probably looked terrible.

"What's wrong nena?" he asked seriously. I sighed and closed my eyes, he could always tell when something was wrong.

"It's just school, there's a lot of stress at the moment, and I'm not really allowed to leave the house, mom wants me to focus on studying, specifically math since they all think I'm gonna fail it, but the thing is that I can't just study for finals, there's other homework and exams as well, so I feel a bit burned out." I said honestly, knowing that there was no point in lying with Leo, he would see that I was lying easily. He growled angrily and closed his eyes.

"She's not letting you go out?, you're not a dog amor!" he said lowly anger radiating from him.

"I know amor, but before Barcelona I promised her to study hard when I came back, in exchange of going to Barcelona." I said and he sighed.

"Still, what she's doing is wrong, and I'll never understand how you put up with it." he said sighing loudly. I shrugged my shoulders before answering,

"It's been like this all my life amor, I've been raised like this, it's normal." I said and he shook his head.

"I know nena, but I care about you so much and I hate seeing you like this, exhausted and drained, you've lost weight too!" he said and looked at me pleadingly.

"Please tell me you eat regularly and take care of yourself?" he whispered quietly. I sighed, honestly there have been days that I've skipped eating to make up study time.

"I try to eat, but sometimes I need that extra hour that eating takes up, so there's been days without eating." I said, and he sucked in a breath.

"Nena, that is not normal, you're killing yourself without knowing it, and I won't have it!" he said loudly. I sighed and rubbed my temple, this was giving me a headache.

"It's been like this for years Leo, don't be so surprised, I'm fine." I stressed out closing my eyes tightly.

"No you're not, and I won't sit here and watch you do this to yourself!" he growled and hung up. This was the closest thing to a fight we'd ever had, and I sighed, the last thing I wanted was to fight with Leo. I got up, not really having the energy for math anymore, went to the kitchen and grabbed some paracetamol for my headache, brushed my teeth and went to sleep. No matter how early it was.

I woke up the next morning by my alarm ringing. And I groaned, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes and stretching to get up. I took a shower, brushed my teeth, changed and left the house. On the way to school I couldn't help but feel a bit sad over the way Leo hung up on me, he seemed really mad.

Arriving at school, I sighed and opened my locker to leave my bag and then I spotted my friends and made my way over to them. When Anna saw me she quickly pulled me to the side.

"What's happening to you Maria?" she said worried at my appearance, and I sighed.

"Nothing, you know how school and home is at the moment, the only thing that truly bothers me is that Leo got really mad this morning and hung up on me." I said sadly and her eyes widened.

"That's weird, it doesn't seem like him to get mad like that." she said and I shook my head.

"He doesn't get mad, but when he saw me like this he got really mad, I guess there's something with me that makes him mad." I said, feeling guilty, I shouldn't have called him looking like that.

"He's just probably worried, we all are." Anna said and I nodded as we made our way back to the others. I leaned against the wall as they spoke with each other, feeling drained.

After lunch I made my way up the stairs. The only annoying thing about my school was the endless stairs with no elevator. Social science program was at the third floor, which meant I had to walk up at least 8 different stairs until I got to our corridor, and each time at lunch or whatever we had to walk down all those stairs again. It gets tiring. I walked each step slowly, my legs felt like lumber. I was so tired. Suddenly someone wrapped their arms around my waist from behind and I almost screamed, until I realized it felt familiar. I turned around and saw Leo. I smiled widely and kissed him, right there in the middle of all the stairs where everyone could see us.

"Surprise." he said after we pulled away and pressed his forehead against mine. I smiled and took a long look at him, holding on to him.

"You're here." I said and he nodded.

"I convinced coach to give me a week off training, I needed to get here before you killed yourself." he said and I closed my eyes.

"Why are you doing this to yourself amor?" he whispered, hugging me tightly. I was about to answer when someone gasped behind us.

"Lionel?" Anna gasped and ran up to us.

"How did you get here?" I asked as we walked up the stairs, Leo with his arm wrapped around me and Anna walking next to us.

"Well you did mention the name of your school in one of our text conversations, so I simply showed the driver, and here I am." he said as if it was the easiest thing in the world.

"You're incredible." I said shaking my head at his antics. He smiled as we entered our corridor.

"Have you heard anything from Xavi?" Anna asked shyly, and I raised an eyebrow, that's weird they were supposed to stay in touch, weren't they?

"No, but last time I saw him he said he missed you a lot." Leo said and Anna smiled weakly, and I frowned, I definitely needed to talk to her later.

"So this is your corridor, no?" Leo asked, and I smiled at his heavy spanish accent.

"Yes, this is where it all happens." I said jokingly and he laughed. We stood in front of my locker, talking for a while, before it was time for history.

"I have class now Leo, do you want to come?" I asked biting my lips. He nodded and i grabbed his hand, dragging him with me to history class.

In history, I found it difficult to concentrate since Leo kept distracting me by kissing my cheek or putting his hand on my knee.

"What are you doing?" I whispered to him blushing when he put his hand on my thigh.

"Making sure that these guys know that you're mine." he whispered back and I blushed. I guess the green monster was present in Leo at the moment.

"You have nothing to be jealous for, they've never even looked at me twice ever since I started here, I'm nothing special." I whispered back and he growled silently.

"Clearly you're underestimating yourself, you are very special and incredibly beautiful, besides these guys have been eyeing you every since we stepped in the classroom." he whispered and kissed my neck. I shuddered and turned away, I needed to concentrate.

Throughout the lesson Leo kept kissing and touching me in every way to prove that I was his, and I sighed, he's never been this touchy feely in front of others before. After class we found out that swedish class was canceled, so I could go home. I dragged Leo out and pulled out my phone. I had a text message from my mother.

Sweetie, we found last minute tickets to Spain, we'll be gone for a week, remember focus on studying!
I love you
Mom
I sighed, but smiled. This meant Leo could stay at my house. I grabbed my stuff out of my locker and smiled at Leo.

"You need to check out of your hotel." I said smirking at him and he looked at me confused.

"Why?" he asked as I dragged him down the stairs.

"Apparently my family found last minute tickets to Spain, so they're gone for the week." I said happily and he smiled.

"So you want me at your house?" he asked smirking at me.

"Yes hombre." I said and he laughed. We arrived at his hotel and I waited until he checked at out and came back with his bag.

"I can't wait to see where you live nena." he said smiling at me goofily and I laughed. We took the subway to go home and I smiled. I liked this.

We got home and I smiled. I could definitely get used to this.

"So where am I sleeping?" he asked smirking at me.

"Well, you could always sleep with me." I said shyly and he laughed, kissing me.

"You sure amor?" he asked looking me in the eyes. I took a deep breath and nodded. I was ready for this.

"Yes." I said simply and he smiled.

I woke up in Leo's arms, and I blushed at what happened last night. I couldn't believe how much my life had changed since Barcelona. I kissed his cheek and got up to get ready. As I got out of the shower, Leo wrapped his arms around me.

"Are you feeling ok amor?" he said, and I looked at him confused.

"Yes, I'm perfectly fine, why wouldn't I be?" I asked him and he shook his head.

"I meant after last night." he said and I blushed.

"Oh, yes I'm fine, I feel a bit different, but it's ok." I said shyly and he laughed.

"You're so innocent amor." he laughed and I blushed again punching his shoulder playfully.

"But I love every bit of it." he whispered in my ear and I blushed yet again, pushing him away once more. He just laughed loudly at my antics and got in the shower.

I shook my head and got dressed and waited for Leo to get ready. When he got out of the shower, I went to the kitchen so I could avoid blushing in front of him for once. I got us breakfast ready and he came in the kitchen and smiled, kissing my cheek.

"So I've been thinking amor, have you considered a transfer year in Barcelona?" he asked me, looking into my eyes hopefully.

"I have been thinking about it, but there's no way I could do it Leo." I said and his face fell.

"Why amor?" he asked silently. I sighed and reached across the table, intertwining our fingers together.

"You know the issue with my family again, and then there's school, we have a trip to Kenya coming up next year that I've worked very hard for, I really don't want to miss it, and besides I don't know any spanish." I said softly.

"You know the spanish isn't a problem, but why are you going to Kenya?" he asked curiously.

"Well since I'm reading social science there's some field trip work included, and my school's chosen to take us to Kenya, so we get some life experience and work with some field stuff." I said and he nodded.

"But if there's a way to make my parents happy and make sure I won't miss that trip, then I'm all for transferring, the only thing I would be missing then would be swedish graduation, but you're far more important than that." I said and he smiled.

"I'll see if I can pull some strings." he said and I laughed.

"Just promise me that you won't pay for anything amor, I don't want you spending money on me, there's some student loans that I'll consider." I said and he sighed.

"Amor, there's no way I'm letting you get a loan when I can easily support you." he said sternly.

"Leo if you're going to pay then I won't transfer, it's as simple as that." I said and he sighed.

"So stubborn." he said and I laughed.

"It's called independency, not stubbornness." I said poking his cheek.

"It's stubbornness not independency, so when are you going to Kenya." he asked looking at me.

"In september." I said and he smiled.

"Then it'll be easier than I thought, we can just pull some strings so you can start school in Barcelona in October, and study here in September so you won't miss out on the trip." he said and I nodded.

"The only thing left is to convince my parents somehow, but then again I am 18 so technically I'm allowed to do whatever I want." I said and he smiled.

"Yes querida, and as much as you love them, you can't let them control you anymore, in fact I won't let you." he said and I smiled. This was probably the right thing to do, considering the fact that I have no idea how long I'll be able to handle all the control. Besides, life with Leo was incredibly tempting..
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 12!
So Leo came on a surprise visit. Do you think she'll consider Barcelona?

Happy reading
xxx