Status: In progress

Half a Heart

El amor nace de nada y muere de todo/Love is born from nothing and dies of everything

-Maria:
I stretch around in my seat a little bit before yawning, we've been flying for almost three hours, and it's about forty minutes left until we land in Barcelona. Anna is fast asleep, and so is her entire family, I however haven't slept at all, the fear of crashing keeping me wide awake. It's about 3am, so I've also been 18 for three hours now. To be honest it doesn't really feel any different.

"Ladies and gentlemen, in about twenty minutes we are landing at our destination: Barcelona, it is approximately 15 degrees Celsius at our destination and I hope you've had a nice flight, please remember to fasten your seatbelts when the light comes on and I Hope you had a pleasant flight with Scandinavian Airlines." the captain blurts out and I smile, we're there soon. The captain's announcement woke everyone up, and Anna stretched in her seat next to me and yawned loudly.

"So have you been up this entire time?" she asked me whilst putting on her shoes. I nodded and fastened my seatbelt as the light came on. She just shook her head and I tightened my hold to my seat and shut my eyes as we were about to land.

"Bienvenidos a Barcelona!" Anna said in broken spanish and I giggled, we were officially on spanish soils, in Barcelona! I looked out the window and smiled, this was truly the best birthday ever!

"Happy birthday!!!" Anna suddenly remembered and practically screamed at me, I nodded and gave her a tight hug and murmured thank you. I owed her a lot for this trip, without her and her tickets to the games, I wouldn't be here, I'd probably be stuck in some huge family gathering for my birthday.

"They say that Barcelona is the "ciudad de sueños" I said flaunting my little spanish, smiling at Anna as we made our way to get our baggage.

"Well I don't know much about that, but it just might be for us!" she said smiling at me widely. I nodded as we kept on walking. We claimed our baggage and made our way over to Anna's parents.

"So girls, you must be tired, lets get a taxi and get to the hotel." Anna's father said, smiling at us tiredly. We nodded and I yawned loudly. It was almost 4am. I fell asleep in the car and was awakened by Anna shaking my shoulder. As soon as we got in our room, we both collapsed on the bed and fell asleep almost instantly.

I woke up sometime around noon I suppose, to the sun shining brightly in our room. I frowned as I realized I was drenched in sweat. So i slowly got out of bed to take a much needed shower. Anna was still fast asleep.

After I took my shower, Anna was still asleep and I was getting bored, so I quickly wrote a note and left our room. I decided that I would take a walk around the area so I wouldn't be as bored. After walking for a couple of minutes I discovered a small café nearby and decided to have some coffee. As I ordered my coffee I couldn't help but feeling a little bit uncomfortable, it felt as though someone was watching me. I shook off the feeling and continued sipping my coffee and reading my book that I had brought with me. Suddenly someone cleared their throat and I looked up to see the most beautiful pair of brown eyes I'd ever seen in my entire life.

"Disculpe señorita, ¿le importaría si me siento aquí?" the guy asked looking deep into my eyes. I blushed and looked away, trying hard to remember my elementary spanish to answer him.

"Lo siento señor, pero no hablo español" I said sheepishly looking at him apologetically. Suddenly it was as if wheels turned in his head and he smiled brightly and I felt my heart beat faster at his smile.

"Don't worry about it señorita, now do you mind if I sit here?" he asked again, this time in english with a heavy spanish accent. I shook my head quietly and blushed, I took a quick look at him. He wasn't that tall, but still taller than me, and he had this ridiculous cap on with some sunglasses. I shook my head at his appearance as he sat down. I sipped my coffee and picked up my book, figuring that he only sat there because there were no other available seats at the café.

"So you are here for vacation no?" he asked making me put down my book again. I looked at him a bit shocked that he wanted to talk to me. I mustered up some courage and answered him.
"Well, I suppose so, but only for a couple of days." I answered looking away from his stare, it seemed as if I couldn't look too long into his eyes before blushing. He nodded and just kept staring at me. Feeling extremely self conscious, I sat up and brushed through my long hair with my fingers.

"Hermosa." he suddenly breathed out and I blushed crimson. I knew enough spanish to know what that meant. I cleared my throat and looked at him for the first time without blushing.

"Who are you?" I asked stupidly, immediately regretting my question, who are you, really Maria? He just laughed and looked at me once more before replying.
"Well I am who I am, now I promise I'll tell you who I am if you tell me you're name." he said with his heavy accent, winking at me. I blushed again, is he flirting with me?
"Well sorry, but my mother told me to never speak to strangers." I said smirking slightly as I got up and left.
"Ciao señor!" I said quickly and almost ran out of the café, leaving the guy surprised, frozen to his seat. I slowed down a little bit to see how he was reacting, and when I saw that he was looking for me, I immediately sped up again, so he wouldn't follow me.

I got back to the hotel quickly and shut the door, breathing heavily, that was the first time someone ever acknowledged me, first time I wasn't invisible to someone.

"Where the hell have you been?" Anna croaked as she rose from her bed, frowning at me.
"I was bored, so I went to take a walk and ended up grabbing some coffee, I did leave you a note." I said slowly.
"Ok, but don't walk around alone here, god knows you could get lost, and you know how there's like no one who knows english here." she said and went into the bathroom. I sighed and nodded to myself, but how come he knew english? I wondered to myself as I sat on my bed.
And more important why was he flirting with me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Helloo :)
So they're finally in Barcelona, and guess who she met on her first day? *wink* *wink*
So what'll happen, will Lionel ever get to know her name, or will Maria leave Barcelona without bothering to know who that man at the café was?

So one important thing, I don't speak spanish, so all the spanish parts are sort of translated, but I do know a bit as I studied spanish in elementary school for a couple of years, however since I started high school, I chose not to continue with it (big mistake) and ended up learning some french. So if any of you are native speaker, then I apologize for mistakes, I just think that the story becomes much more alive with spanish.

I'll try to get a couple of chapters done this week before school, I have to get as much of this done now when I have free time :)
Happy reading!
xxx