Status: active

I Want to Know What Love Is

5

Cordelia had started her day with coffee. It was one of those "don't talk to me until I've had coffee" days. She needed to tend to her garden. Afterwards, she would go visit her friend, Mariah, and go horse riding. Riding always took her mind off of things.

She dressed in her gardening clothes. Faded overall shorts, a mint tee shirt with roses on it, and her black crocs. She grabbed her knee pads and her iPod. She went through the kitchen and out the backdoor. She turned on the iPod then stuck in the earphones.

She placed the electronic in the front pocket. She grabbed her tools and headed over to the right. Harry Connick Jr.'s voice floated through the earphones. "One Fine Thing" was the first song. She set to work.

She surveyed the area. She looked for damaged plants. There was none that she could see. She placed the knee pads on then got down on her knees. She started pulling out weeds wherever she saw them.

After that, she looked at the leaves. She looked for holes or rotted leaves. If there were holes, that meant bugs were eating her plants. If the leaves were rotted, then the plants were no good. About one-third had holes.

Only one or two plants were rotted. She plucked those from the ground. She got up to toss them in the trash. She then grabbed her organic pesticide. It was bad for the bugs but not for humans.

She sprayed all of the garden. Afterwards, she put the spray back in the garden shed. She headed inside to wash up. A quick shower and hair wash later, she didn't feel sweating and grimy anymore. She slipped on a pair of hip hugging dark wash jeans, a black tank top, and teal plaid fitted button up.

She braided her hair. She went to her room and pulled out her boot socks. She slipped them on before grabbing her cell phone and wallet. She walked to the kitchen. Her black cowboy boots sat by the back door.

She slipped them on. She gave a sigh of relief. The feel of boots was comforting. It meant that all of her worries would soon be gone with the wind. She retraced her steps heading for the front door.

She grabbed her keys then was out the door. She drove an '82 Chevy C10. It wasn't much. But it got her from point A to point B. She kept up the maintenance on it.

It had been her grandfather's. It had been Superman Red back in the day. Now it was black. She drove two towns over to get to a pawn shop that had decent cassette tapes. AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Elvis.

Those were just to name a few. She fired it up and listened as the horses sang. The Rolling Stones were playing. Satisfaction. She smiled as she backed out of her driveway.

Mariah was forty-five minutes away. But so worth the drive. She knew back roads to getting there. She loved going down them and parking in the shade. There was one by a creek.

She would blare some Alan Jackson and roll up her pants legs and go wading in. She giggled as minnows swam by her feet. Some tickled her toes. She'd walked up the way. She'd lose track of time out there.

She was almost there, when she came across a big lump on the side of the rode. It was slightly moving. She parked a few feet in front of it. She cut the engine then climbed out. She walked towards the lump.

As she got closer, she realized it was an animal. When she stood before it, she saw it was a dog. She ran back to the truck to grab a blanket. She ran back to the dog and carefully picked it up. She put it in the floor board on the passenger side.

She got in on her side. She drove as fast as she could with jostling the animal. But by the time she reached Mariah's, the dog had already passed. She parked the truck and cut the engine off. She put her head on her hands on the steering wheel.

Mariah heard her pull up. She walked out to see Delia sitting in the truck with her head down. She ran to the truck. "Dee what's the mat-- Oh no. Bo!!" Mariah ran to the passenger side.

She yanked that door open and felt for a pulse. "He's gone Mariah. He passed over right when I turned onto your road." After awhile, both women carried him to the big ole oak tree in the backyard. Mariah got a shovel and dug a grave.

They stood there quietly. He was Mariah's for six years. And just like clockwork, they saddled up two horses. Just the four of them. No destination just an open road.