Status: Completed!! Yay!!!

Hades' Child

Hades' Child

Hades threw his staff on his desk and collapsed in his chair with a groan. Work for the god of the Underworld was difficult; today, Zeus had hurt Aphrodite's feelings and, like the baby she was, went on a disastrous rampage around the earth. Hades was left to clear up the fiasco and set the world spinning again--literally. Aphrodite had tried to tempt Atlas and he ended up fainting. It took potions of monstrous proportions to get the holder of the world back on his feet. All in all, today was a horrible day for Hades, but it hadn't been much different from the last few hundred years.

There came a point that number of years ago where nothing in Olympus could entertain Zeus, Hades' younger brother and acclaimed 'king of the gods'. At that point, Zeus had started putting his dick in anything that breathed and caused monstrous problems, and Hades was the only one who didn't run away from the Zeus disasters, murmuring that they had 'important business' to attend to.

Hades tried to relieve the Hydra-sized migraine inside his skull by massaging his head with the sharp obsidian on the end of his staff. That seemed to do the trick until he realized he was drawing blood. With a sigh he applied ointment to his head to heal it. A soul that must have escaped was floating by, muttering something unintelligible, but Hades didn't have the heart to call his guards on it. Hades, god of the Underworld, needed a break.

"Hades...." A silky smooth voice wafted into Hades' office from the hallway. A head popped through the doorway, and soon a body decked out in traditional Greek lingerie followed it. "Oh, Hades, you look horrible!"

"Thanks," he muttered sarcastically.

"But honey, you look so stressed...." the woman cooed in his ear as she pressed her scantily-clad body against his shoulder, rubbing his thigh sensually. Hades felt uncomfortably warm in a certain area and his pale cheeks turned a light tinge of pink.

"Not now, Persephone," Hades groaned, trying to keep his voice even. The woman whimpered.

"But Hades, baby, you always say that! Don't you love me?"

A frustrated huff came from Hades. The Question. Hades didn't believe in love; rather, he didn't believe himself capable of such an emotion. He had always been the social outcast, even in his younger years. Because of this, he got along quite well with Hephaestus, and pretty much only Hephaestus. Hades built his own temple in the safe confines of the Underworld where nobody would bother him. He had a place on Olympus but only used it when invited to a party or other social gathering, which was seldom.

"Is it Zeus again?" Hades was rudely pulled out of his reminiscence by the silky voice of his demigoddess wife. He scowled.

"Of course! It's always Zeus, the gloutos! He's always been high-maintenance, but these past few hundred years have been nothing but misery. He's always doing things that cause everyone trouble and I am stuck cleaning up after him! I've about had enough of his skatos." Hades buried his face in his hands, determined not to let Persephone see how angry he actually was.

"Hades, dear, look at me," the woman commanded. She straddled Hades' lap and pried his hands from his face. His skin was red and blotchy from rage and his eyes were filled with moisture. "Take a breath, love. Deep breath."

After a few tries interrupted by hiccups, Hades managed to gulp several lungfuls of stale palace air. He began to feel some of the rage disappear. He stared into the blue eyes of Demeter's beloved daughter--his wife.

"Persephone?" Hades asked.

"Yes, my dear Hades?"

"Do you want children?" he blurted.

The woman looked taken aback. "I'm barren, Hades. You know that; you've known that for years."

"Well, yeah," he stuttered. "I'm just asking, would you want kids, you know, if you could have them?"

"Oh yes, I've wanted children from the time I was little. I always wanted two boys and a girl, never more or less. I lived in hope that I would be able to fulfill that dream, but, you know what happened. It's all in the past now. I'm perfectly happy spoiling our nieces and nephews." She grinned, sadness in her eyes.

It had been years since Hades had rudely torn Persephone from her home in the fields. After the damage had been done, Hades realized what a grave error he had made. After a long time of learning how to court a woman and actually courting her, Persephone saw that Hades truly saw his mistake and she fell for him. They married a few years after her capture. This was a hundred years after Hades had begun to act like a little kopros, so the demigoddess had many years of experience in dealing with a raging Hades. She had noticed, though, that it had started to get progressively worse with each passing year.

"Hades," she finally spoke, "you need help."

"Yeah, I know," her husband groaned, his voice muffled. He had buried his face in the crook of her neck and pulled her close. She could feel his arousal through his chiton.

"You know what, I think I know just the thing...." Persephone's smile turned smug as she slipped a collar made of Python's scales (a wedding gift from Apollo) into his hand. Hades gazed at the black item in awe. Persephone slid out of her husband's lap and beckoned to him. "Come to bed with me, Hades my love."

Hades grinned. As much as he despised the thought of love, this woman did know him like the palm of her own hand, and she had some talents that aren't widely known outside the bedroom. Without hesitation, he rose and grabbed Persephone's hand, allowing her to lead him to his demise.

In the best way possible, of course.

________________________________________

________________________________________________

Hades woke up tangled in the silk sheets of his bed, pleasantly sore. He sat up and ran his hands through his long, black, and currently tangled tresses. Last night had been wild, and Hades was glad to feel no stress and no anger. Persephone really knows how to work her magic, he thought. He looked over his shoulder to said woman. Naked, she slept blissfully. The sheets were draped over her body in such a way that he almost thought he was staring at the finest painting in all of Greece. With a smile, he planted a small kiss on her shoulder, more specifically, the area with the glowing mark of their union. Persephone didn’t stir, so Hades crawled out of bed, a little warm feeling pooling in the pit of his stomach. He ignored it, labeling it as an aftereffect of the night before. Wrapping a towel around his waist, Hades went to bathe, all the while recounting last night’s events.

The Olympian sat on the edge of the bed while Persephone massaged oils into his long hair. He squeezed his eyes shut while she combed, making small squeaking noises whenever his wife hit a knot.

“Man up, my dear,” Persephone giggles. The woman is quite unfazed by her lack of clothing as she completes her motherly task. She goes silent when a knock is heard at the door of the bedroom.

“Enter!” Hades calls, making sure the visitor can hear. There is a loud creak as the door opened and in floated Acacias, Hades’ messenger. “Ah, good morning, Acacias; do come in.”

Acacias had been a favorite of Hades while still a living mortal in the Overworld. When he perished 439 years ago by the sword of a son who wanted his inheritance, Hades saw his chance. He offered the soul a deal. He offered the man access to his old memories and the knowledge of the gods, in exchange for being Hades’ permanent messenger and consultant. The alternative was to become like any other soul, so Acacias took the job.
“Morning news, sir,” the soul chattered in an airy voice as he approached the couple. “You’re not going to like it though.”

“Well?” Hades growled. “Spit it out!” Persephone whispered harshly into his ear about his tone of voice.

“I received a raven this morning carrying news from the North. Thrace has invaded the small towns around it, ravaging the entire countryside. There is chaos.”

“So? This happens a lot.” Hades asked, earning another glare from Persephone.

The soul imitated a cringe. “It is of Zeus’ doing, my lord.”

Hades cried out in frustration. “That guy just can’t catch a break, can he? It’s been one day.” Hades’ knuckles were white from clutching the mattress. Persephone massages his back in hopes of calming the angry god.

“Take a breath, Master Hades.”

Hades breathed deeply, obeying the soul’s command. “I take it you’ve been chatting with my wife.”

Persephone shrugged. “Well, there isn’t a lot more to do around here.”

Hades nodded. “That is true. I will take my leave; I’m going to see if I can solve this before it creates too big of a mess. Acacias, accompany Lady Persephone until I return.” The soul bowed his wispy head respectfully. Hades stood quickly, determination written all over his face. Persephone slides off the bed and stands to face her husband. She kisses the man passionately.

“Be safe,” she whispers.

“You know I will be,” he whispered back, his husky voice making her shiver. He strode to his office and donned his obsidian armor, grabbed his sword, Eirene, and threw his cloak over his shoulders. Staff in hand, he jogged to the outside of the palace. Flicking his staff, he disappeared into a cloud of smoke. When he reappeared, he was no longer in godlike form; instead opting for the quickness and efficiency of the drakon. With a roar, he spread his leathery wings and soared out of the safe enclosure of the Underworld.

________________________________________
__________________________________________________

Hades soared over the area known as Greece, making an effort to conceal himself above the clouds. When he reached the North Sector, it was clear that Acacias had not sugarcoated anything. Villages were on fire and people were scattered as far as three miles from the nearest town. Hades dropped altitude to better assess the situation. He had nothing to go on except people were dying and it was Zeus’ fault. As he neared the walls of a particularly large village, he bore witness to a horrifying sight: several men were dragging women and girls, kicking and screaming, out of their homes and into the streets. There they beat them, stripped them, and had their way with them.

Being the ruler of the Underworld assured that Hades recorded countless deaths for countless reasons. The one thing that Hades could never stand, though, was rape. Persephone had taught him early on about that. Taking women against their will was the worst crime, for it is always unjustifiable and unforgivable. It’s like a murder—once one’s life is taken, it cannot be given back. Hades agreed with his wife wholeheartedly on the matter. Hades grew to appreciate and respect the intelligence and beauty that is woman under Persephone’s tutelage.

Choking at the horrible sight, Hades transformed too early and fell to the dusty ground from a few meters up. Dusting himself off, he regained his composure. He made short work of the koprophages who decided to commit such a crime in front of an unforgiving god.
“Go!” He cried to the stunned and crying women. “Go now! This city will go down in flames and you’ll be caught in the center of it!” At this, they scattered.
Hades traveled through the villages, looking for something he couldn’t quite put his finger on. He ignored the screams and the destruction, the children crying for their mothers, the blackness. This was the way of the world. Things get destroyed, but eventually they are built back up into something better.

Hades had only spent ten minutes in the city of Thrace proper, where the palace of the Thracian king resided. It was quiet compared to the chaotic noises in the periphery; too quiet, really. The men were out raiding nearby towns and everyone else seemed to be hidden away in their homes. What could have possibly possessed them to raid? he thought. The Thracian area has been prosperous for years!

“Hello, brother.”

Hades didn’t turn around to face the voice. He already knew enough.

“Of course you would be the one to possess these people into fighting their own country, Zeus,” Hades spat, his younger brother’s name poison on his tongue. Hades spun on his heel, robes swirling around his legs menacingly. The god of the Underworld clenched his teeth at the Germanic form Zeus had taken on. He was an annoyingly attractive blond, his skin a milky white. His blue eyes glittered with malice. He was babyish, sadistic, and uncaring. In reality, he didn’t look very much different in his godly form, except Hades wanted to knock out those impeccably white teeth with his fist much more than usual.

“Why not?” Zeus shot a winning smile at his angry brother. “I was bored, and they’re annoying. Silly little mortals….” He hummed to himself, an act that unsettled Hades. Zeus hadn’t always been this sadistic; stubborn and spoiled, yes, but not always this violent.

Hades snarled. “There are women getting raped because of you, Zeus! People are dying because you’re bored. This is not the natural order of things!”

“My my, brother, do you love the humans? I never thought you capable….” The blond taunted.

“NO!” Hades roared. “I do not love. Attachment is childish and stupid. Love always dies; I see more than enough broken-hearted souls to prove it. I have morals, not a heart.”

“Then, brother, why are you here? Everyone knows you’re a social recluse, and you think anything’s worth loving. Tell me, Hades, why are you here?” Zeus wanted Hades to crack. Seeing his brother, who had always been fairly level-headed, lose his temper would be much more fun than destroying a city.
“I’m here to clean up your mess,” snarled Hades quietly.

“What did you say?” Zeus prods.

“I’M HERE TO CLEAN UP YOUR BLOODY MESSES LIKE I HAVE FOR THE PAST FOUR HUNDRED YEARS!” screamed Hades, all the rage from the age-old injustices finally surfacing. His hands in white-knuckled fists, Hades closed his eyes and breathed in and out, in and out. He could feel the rage ebbing. He would not let that happen again. He couldn’t allow Zeus to get him. He took a final breath and spoke in a calm, even voice. “Stop this unnecessary madness, Zeus. These humans have no reason to die.”

“YOU HAVE NO POWER TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO!” Zeus roared, his godly aura bursting from his body for a split second. “You are my inferior, Hades. You always have been, and you always will be. Besides, I’ve already called the men back. They’re going to ravage their own city, and with a little luck, they’ll kill their king. Isn’t it fun, brother? They’re going to wake up tomorrow and find their families broken, their homes destroyed, and their king dead!” Zeus threw his head back and laughed-- a more hysterical laugh Hades had never witnessed.

“You’re a monster, Zeus. You shouldn’t be ruling these people. They’re powerless, don’t you see?” Hades motions towards a few men approaching the gates, their eyes not holding the natural human flicker. “All you do is mess with them! They shouldn’t be worshipping you.” With a shout, Hades lunged at his brother, sword poised to strike. Zeus parried the blow easily, throwing Hades flying to the ground on his left side. Hades picked himself up, shaking off the dust, and lunged again. Zeus blocked himself easily. A third time Hades threw himself at his brother, but to no avail. The blond god chuckled as his brother wiped the sweat from his brow.

“You must have forgotten, my dear brother, that I have always been the better swordsman.”

There is a flash of metal, and Zeus’ perfect skin is marred by little drops of red. Zeus wipes his cheek with the back of his hand.

“Is this your worst, brother? Surely you could do better than that,” Zeus taunts. “You want to play rough? I’ll show you rough.” Suddenly, Hades is caught behind a flurry of blades. Sparks fly from the fray, and the black-haired god swings his sword with all of his might. Zeus cracks his chestplate, Hades cuts Zeus’ arm. Attack after attack is dealt by Zeus, each more complicated than the last. Even with his superhuman reflexes and strength, Hades could feel himself getting weaker by the thrust. He gasps for breath, sweat stinging in his eyes. He was running out of options.

“This is how inferiors are treated when they try to stand up to their masters, Hades.

In a surge of power, Hades caught Zeus’ blade with his own and shoved him backwards. Using precious seconds, he performed a clumsy but effective backflip away from his opponent. Several men ran in front of Zeus at that moment, blocking his vision.

“You must forget, brother,” Hades repeated Zeus’ earlier words, “that I was always bad at sword fighting.” At this, he dropped his sword and shed his outer robes and broken chestplate. He conjured a swirling ball of fire in his left hand. “I was always better at everything else.”

Zeus yelled as the hem of his robe caught fire. Hades allowed himself a bark of laughter at the comical sight. Zeus sheds his flaming robes and didn’t see the powerful jet of water coming. It slammed into his chest and threw him back several meters. Hades had taken up his sword in preparation for another onslaught, but it didn’t come. Where Zeus had been was now just a strip of wet ground.

Hades turned in slow circles, sword ready in one hand and fire in the other, his breath catching in his throat. There was no sign of the attractive god. There was a noise behind him and Hades whipped around just in time to block the signature bronze sword. As soon as he was here, he was gone again. After a few minutes of waiting, Zeus appeared on his left. He took one swipe and was gone again. Two seconds later, he was centimeters away from beheading his brother.

“You are an animal!” Hades shouts to the empty space which had just contained his sibling.

“Oh, am I?” A disembodied voice cooed, and then there was a roar. Hades dropped to his knees as an enormous lion leaped over him. The lion slid into the dirt, but quickly launched himself back at the thin Olympian. Hades swept his weapon at the animal but was concurrently tackled into the dusty ground. The lion had ripped open his shoulder.

“Do you give up yet, brother?” Zeus snapped, again in human form. There was a clean red line across his chest.

“I don’t give up,” Hades coughed and spat out a tooth. His shoulder was shredded to the bone. He felt nauseous just at the sight of it.

Zeus said nothing in reply, and made an obvious effort to summon a large piece of hail into his outstretched hand. It took him three tries to get the size he wanted, and when he did, he hurled it with all of his godly strength at his older brother. The hail smashed into Hades’ knee, and with it came a sickening crack of bone and a grueling scream from the victim.

“Hail is all you’ve got, eh Zeus?” Hades panted, trying not to scream a second time. His common sense gone, all he thought about was how much he utterly despised his brother. Zeus’ eyes visibly changed color, from a sky blue to a stormy grey. The god of thunder raised his hands and out of nowhere a dangerous-looking storm materialized. The black clouds were heavy with rain and there was harsh electricity in the air.

“You’re playing with fire, Hades,” Zeus warned, his voice low and gravelly.

Hades responded sarcastically. “No, brother, I’m pretty sure I’m the one playing with fire.” His eyes were dull, and he limped heavily. Hades conjured diamond throwing knives to throw at his attacker, the edges sharper than the finest sword. Hephaestus had helped him create the objects, seeing as Hades had stores of precious stones and had no use for them.

The wind picked up and Hades heared frightened screaming from inside some of the houses. By this point, the men of Thrace were tearing apart their own homes and raping each other’s women. It sickened him, but there was a more important issue at stake. Hades throws the darts at Zeus’ upper body but most of them miss. The wind changes direction and the two Olympians’ eyes meet. With this favorable change, Zeus throws himself at his brother, spiraling through the air. Hades tries in pain to reach his sword, but it is too late.

Zeus’ sword was buried to the hilt in Hades’ stomach. The older god’s eyes grew wide and his mouth opened, but no sound came out save an airy gasp. Zeus held him up as his legs failed and his body went limp. Zeus grabbed Hades by the throat and stabbed him a second time, this time through the heart. All seemed to go silent in that moment save Hades’ labored breathing.

Zeus drags Hades to a pile of rubble from what once was a wall. Zeus shoved a bit of ambrosia down Hades’ throat to keep him from sliding into unconsciousness.

“Now, brother,” the blond god spat, “you will watch as I burn this city to the ground, and you can do nothing about it. Relish how helpless you feel. Do you feel helpless, Hades?” Hades does not respond, only glaring at the monster before him.

A boy runs past who looked about 15, tugging an even younger girl by the hand. Zeus watches them run, and a horrible smile stretches across his face. He strides after the two and soon catches up to them. Hades squeezes his eyes shut, knowing what was to come.

When he opened his eyes, the young man lay on the ground in a pool of dark blood and Zeus stood a meter away from where Hades lay. Looking Hades straight in the eye the entire time, he stripped the girl-- she couldn’t have been older than ten years—and took complete advantage of her. The girl screams in pain and horror. The screams terrified Hades; never had he heard something so awful, something so full of raw emotion. The sound mixed with the sick sight created trails of tears running down the god’s face.

The girl is silent and still as Zeus finishes. He stands and kicks the girl in the side.

“See, Hades? This is what happens when you think you can take on your superiors. You will always lose. Always.” With that, Zeus raised his hands yet again and shouted. Bright white strands of lightning rained down upon Thrace, the thatched roofs of the lower-class houses bursting into flames. Zeus disappeared into thin air and did not return. Hades, gathering the last of his ebbing strength, dragged himself over to the little girl who had still not moved. He held the girl in his lap, cradling her head in his good arm. Why he was holding this girl he did not know. Through the piercing pain, Hades felt warm in the pit of his stomach. Probably internal bleeding, the thought. Wincing, he summoned a mist.

“Acacias,” he croaked to the mist.

“Yes sire?” The airy drawl of the intelligent soul was magnified by the mist.

“I’m trapped in Thrace Proper. I can’t move. Send Cerberus right away.”

“Yes, Master Hades!” the soul chirped.

Hades slumped over and entered into the realm of the unconscious.

Before he was fully out, he could have sworn he heard a voice, sweeter than ambrosia, whispering ‘thank you’….

________________________________________
_____________________________________________

Under Acacias’ care, Hades made the slow recovery back to health. The soul had been a medical practitioner in his past life, so with the helping physical hands of Persephone, the age-old Olympian was well in a week. Unlike mortals, gods (or any immortal being for that matter) could not die; instead, if they were wounded, they would stay on the same pain and condition they were in until healed. Hades was guaranteed life, but not a full one had it not been for Acacias.

Persephone was busy sitting on the edge of her husband’s bed, folding clean clothes. She didn’t notice her husband stirring, but snapped to attention when she heard his voice.

“ ’Seph?” Hades whispered, his voice hoarse from disuse. Persephone clambered to his side.

“I’m here, love,” the woman cooed. She planted a gentle kiss on Hades’ soft lips before darting out the door. She appeared back in no time with Acacias and the girl he had rescued in tow.

“How are you feeling, Master Hades?” The soul asked.

“I’m fine, Acacias,” Hades responds, finding his voice after clearing his throat. Persephone hands him a glass of water. “Little bedsore, I think. How long was I out?”

“About a week,” the soul stated simply. “It’s almost noon on Paraskeue.” The god only nodded.

A moment of silence passed and the soul made a sound akin to someone clearing their throat. “I will take the Lady to the gardens. There is a new rose plant that is giving me a lot of trouble.” The soul and Hades’ wife left the room swiftly, leaving Hades with the girl. Without the security of the others, the girl stepped back from the bed warily.

“Don’t be afraid, paidi mou. I will not hurt you. You needn’t be afraid.” At Hades’ words, the girl stopped her retreat. “What’s your name?”

The girl shuffled her feet and stared at the floor. “Well, my name was Aikaterine, but, I don’t think it fits me anymore.”

Hades winced as the events from Thrace resurfaced in his mind. A pang of hurt surged through his heart for the little girl. “Have you then taken the liberty of choosing a new name, then?”

“No,” she replied, her voice getting stronger as she gained confidence. “Lady Persephone told me to wait to talk to you about it to decide, but,” she looked around the room, presumably checking for Hades’ wife, “I already decided.” Her sweet, innocent voice was filled with playfulness, a sound Hades wasn’t familiar with. But, he decided, it would be nice to hear more often.

“I like Adonia. It was my mama’s name. She died.” The girl frowned then.

“I think Adonia is a beautiful name,” Hades encouraged. He took Adonia’s hands in his. So tiny and fragile, he thought. “Now, Adonia, I must ask you a very important question.”

“What?”

“Would you like to stay here in the palace with Lady Persephone and I? You’ll be treated like a princess. Zeus can’t ever hurt you here.” Adonia shivered when she heard Zeus’ name and Hades squeezed her hand reassuringly. “I understand if you wouldn’t. I am the god of death and I spend nearly all of my time here in the Underworld. I don’t get out much, but I can promise you a good home and safety.”

Adonia was quiet for a moment before she replied. “I’ve got nothing to go back to, sir. Thrace was burned and my family’s all gone. I'm alone. But, I’m not a goddess or anything…” Adonia’s cheeks flushed pink.

“No, you’re not. In all honesty, you, my dear, are more special than any goddess in the entire world. Now, don’t tell Lady Persephone I said that.” Adonia giggled her assurances and in turn Hades smiled. It wasn’t his usual little smirk either: it was a full-blown, happy smile.

“Sir?”

“Yes, Adonia?”

“Since I’m staying, well, will you be my new daddy? I haven’t had a daddy in a long time.”

Hades raised his eyebrows. “Do you want me to be your new daddy?” The little girl nods shyly. Hades grins. “Then of course.”

Adonia squealed and squeezed her arms tightly around the slightly-confused god. Hades had never been one for physical contact in the emotional sense. He didn’t remember ever giving—or receiving-- a hug in his thousands of years of life. However, he thought to himself, this was another thing he wouldn’t mind getting used to. He returned the gesture and patted Adonia on the back, hoping this was how one hugged.

“And Lady ‘Sephone will be my new mama,” Adonia mumbled into Hades’ nightshirt. “I like her. She’s very nice.”

“That she is, my Adonia.”

“How nice of you to say,” Persephone teased from the doorway. “Wonder why you never tell me that…”

Hades stood up, Adonia unraveling herself from her octopus-like hold. He strode to Persephone and pulled her into a passionate kiss. He smirked when he heard a quiet ‘ew’ come from Adonia. After a few moments he broke the kiss and stared into his wife’s eyes.

“Persephone, you are a beautiful, kind, and caring woman. I love you.” Persephone’s eyes widened at his sudden slew of words. Never had she heard him say anything like that.

“I love you too, Hades.” She captured his lips in another searing kiss, much to the dismay of the ten-year-old sitting on the bed.

In that moment, Hades felt that funny warm feeling in the pit of his stomach again. Now, after all this time, he knew what it was. It was love.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jk. This is a oneshot now. Gotcha.

Hope you all liked it! I apologize for Zeus' sadism... I have honestly no clue where that came from. Please leave a comment if you so choose (I would love it) and if you really *really* liked it, you can recommend it!

Guten Tag, lovely people!

M