Paper Cranes

Chapter Thirteen

I sighed and stared at my house phone. 'Ring! Ring!' I prayed. It was nine thirty already and I still hadn't heard from Jared yet. It had been two days since Jared left New York to return to his home in LA. It was two extremely long and daunting days. I never realized it would be this bad without Jared by my side. For Christ's Sake, I had only been going out with the guy for a few days and it felt like a lifetime already. Jared had called the day he reached LA. He had a pretty busy first day back to his normal routine of work, work and more work. Upon arrival, he was already whisked by his brother to meet the manager and executives of Virgin to discuss on their tour schedules and venues. Just that itself took him four hours! Then, he had only an hour to be prepared before heading to some studio to film 'thank-you' message to the Echelon and basically the people who had wished him well during his coma period. Right after the recording, he had more talks with his agent and a few other people about an upcoming film and some possible movie auditions.

Me, on the other hand, had nothing interesting except for the millions of dollars court case. I had break the news to Winona about me officially going out with Jared and she couldn't be happier for me than ever. She said Jared was undoubtedly one of the best guys I had gone out with. All I did was laugh at her comment.

So, it was a Wednesday night and I was growing bored waiting for a phone call. I grabbed the tv remote control and switched on the television. I was browsing through the channels before settling down with Channel E! It was showing a documentary on Cameroon Diaz. It was probably the end of the program already since it was talking about her most current projects and life. I got out of the couch and went over to the refrigerator to take out a tub of 'Ben and Jerry's.' I made my way back to the couch and started to enjoy the sweet chocolate ice-cream when the phone rang. I let out a squeak in excitement and wrenched the phone out from the machine.

"JARED?!" I yelled into the phone by accident.

I heard him laugh at my voice. "Yes, Ro. It's me. You don't have to shout like that, you know? I can hear you loud and clear," he teased.

I rolled my eyes. "So, how are you? How's your day?" I asked, still excited and happy at the sound of his voice.

"I'm good. Just tired. Had been out the whole day," he explained. "Had band practice, and then had an audition and more meetings with Virgin," he said.

"Audition?! How did it go?"

"I'm not sure. I mean I just went in and read the part I wanted and the casting people just nodded and said they'll call once they pick out the actors," he said. "How about you?" he asked and yawned.

"I'm fine. The usual stuff at work. Oh and Win got promoted!" I exclaimed with a huge grin before taking a spoonful of the creamy ice-cream.

"That's great! Say congratulations to her for me," he said.

"I will."

"So… you miss me?" he asked in a curious voice.

I bit on the metal spoon. "Do YOU miss me?" I asked in return instead of answering him.

He chuckled. "I asked you first!"

"Nope. You didn't," I argued playfully.

He laughed. "You're not making any sense, Ro. I asked you the question first!" he retorted.

"Well, do you miss me?" I asked with a grin.

He groaned and there was a short silence before he replied, "Of course I did, Ro. I missed you like hell!"

My grin slowly turned into a satisfied smile. "Same here, Jared," I said in a soft voice. Then there was a pause between the two of us as we enjoyed each other's company through the phone. I could hear his breath from my end and I knew he could hear mine from his side. I glanced at the television screen and my eyes widened as Ryan Secrest reported about something. I took the remote and increased the volume.

"Ohmygod," I gasped, still staring at the screen.

"What's wrong, Ro?" Jared asked, concerned.

"Switch on the tv to Channel E! Jared," I replied.

"Don't tell me you actually watch that channel," he groaned.

"Just do it, Jared," I said. I heard him groaned again before fumbling for something and the sound of the television came on.

"Ro…"

"Are you watching?" I asked.

"Yes."

"And?"

"I'm staring at myself, Ro," he said in a bored tone.

"Yeah… but it's you with the thank-you message," I said. "And… and… you look good," I sighed.

He burst out laughing. "And I thought what happened!"

"Oh, shut up!" I retorted. The message from Jared had ended and it was back to Ryan Secrest but he wasn't done with Jared. Apparently he had a new love interest. I gaped at the screen as the pictures and short video clips were broadcasted. "Shit…"

"Oh… there you are Ro! You're on tv too!" he said, obviously distracted with what was being reported.

The reporter was saying my name and where I was from and how I was always at the hospital during the time when Jared was in a coma. And there were pictures of us after we left the hospital, pictures of us entering the hotel, us eating breakfast at the hotel lobby, us entering the cab, Jared hugging me before he left. "Wow… they were following us?" I asked in disbelief as the channel showed an advertisement on some upcoming program.

Jared sighed on the other line. "Yes… Sorry Ro. It's just… there's no way I could get rid of them. They'll always be there. A consequence I have to face everyday," he said in a sad voice.

"Hey. It's alright, Jared. I don’t mind. It's just mind-boggling the fact that I'm actually on tv and to see all that… wow!" I was still in the state of disbelief.

He chuckled. "Yeah… well… this might go on for a while, Ro. So… I hope you won't mind."

"No. Of course I won't! I found someone like you and just because of a few nosy journalists, I'm going to give you up?! Hell no!" I said.

He laughed. "So… what are you doing now?"
"Just talking to you, watching tv and eating ice-cream," I answered matter-of-factly.

"Ice-cream?! I want!!!!" he whined.

"Nope! None for you!" I said with an evil laugh.

He pretended to sob.

"That won't work on me, Jared," I said sternly.

"It will if I'm there now and I'm going to tickle you as a punishment!" he said.

"No-" Beep. "Erm… Jared, can you hold on a moment, there's an incoming call," I explained.

"Sure."

I clicked on the button. "Hello?"

"Rowena."

My body froze at the voice. The voice which had shouted at me a few years ago. A voice which I had longed for. "Dad?"

"Oh… Rowena honey. How are you? Your mother and I just saw you on the tv," he said.

"I… I'm fine, dad. How are you and mum?" I asked awkwardly.

"We are good. So, I see you have come to your senses and dump that asshole," he said.

"Dad…" I sighed, putting the tub of ice-cream on the desk and covered it.

"Well, at least you're dating someone more decent now," he said. "But Rowena, you know what they say about all these celebrities? They never last, Ro. So, don't get yourself too attached," he warned.

"Dad, Jared's different," I argued.

He chuckled. "Sure, honey," he said in a sarcastic voice.

"Dad, did you just call to start a fight with me?" I asked impatiently.

"No, honey. I just want to tell you that I'm glad you have to come to your senses and dump the asshole. And your mother and I wonder how you are doing?" he asked, his tone changed to a softer one.

My muscles relaxed slightly. "I'm fine, dad. I'm currently working in a law firm as an assistant to a very successful corporate lawyer," I stated proudly. It had been so many years since I had talked to my dad and suddenly, he called and spoke as if nothing happened between us over those few years. "Dad, can you hold on for a while?"

"Okay."

I clicked on the button. "Jared?"

"And I thought you have forgotten about me!" he joked.

"I'll never forget about you," I said. "But… bad news… I have to go off now, Jared. There's a very important phone call on the other line," I said with a frown.

I could picture him frowning as well as he said okay. "I'll talk to you tomorrow?" I asked.

"Yeah. We'll talk tomorrow," he repeated.

"I'm sorry, Jared."

"It's alright, Ro. Go before you miss the important call," he said with a hearty laugh.

"Miss you, Jared."

"Miss you too, Ro."

"Goodnight."

"Night, Ro." I heard the line went dead and I clicked the button to transfer the call back to my dad. "Dad?"

"So, your mother and I have discussed together and we want you to come back for Thanksgiving dinner this year," he said.

I was as shocked as ever by the invitation and without any hesitation I agreed. Maybe they really forgave me.

"And maybe you can bring that boyfriend of yours too," he teased.

I only laughed. "I'll ask him."

"Great! I'll talk to you soon, Rowena," he said.

"Okay, dad."

"Bye."

"Dad!"

"Yes?"

"Thank you," I said. I could feel him smile on the other end.

"You are our daughter Ro. We can't avoid each other forever," he said.

"Goodnight dad."

"Night, honey."
♠ ♠ ♠
Dum. Dum. Dum. Rowena's parents... Stay tuned for the next chapter to find out more about what happens next!

Hope you've enjoyed it! Please comment, good or bad, it would be very much appreciated! :)