Lonely No More

tourist

Two weeks had passed since Beau’s injury, and he was on week two of six weeks out from returning to the ice. Jocelyn had a three-day weekend off of work before the upcoming holidays and Beau had begged her to go on a trip to Denver with him to visit his college campus.

Jocelyn was a little on edge as they sat at the airport together. Beau tucked his good hand into hers as he returned from the little store and handed her a big, cold, Evian as well as a bag of cashews – her favorite snack.

“You look beautiful, baby.” He grinned, making her blush. She was going to be meeting some of Beau’s closest friends straight from the plane and wanted to make a good impression. She dressed in a pair of dark, fitted skinny jeans tucked into heeled brown boots and her favorite ivory sweater. Little gold jewelry accents completed the look and she took the time to curl her hair that morning before they left for the airport.

Beau had definitely taken to the pet names, always calling her baby, honey or sweetheart.

“Thanks Beau.” She smiled. She did look a little more put together than he, who dressed in a pair of rather fitted dark-khaki pants and a DU sweatshirt with a hat pulled over his eyes.

A few of Beau’s friends from when he played hockey for Denver would be returning to their campus that weekend and they planned to go to the game versus Colorado College – their biggest rival.

Jocelyn rolled her eyes as Beau took his seat in first class, patting the space beside him.

“First class, Beau?” She asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Nothing but the best for you, babe.” He winked, making her laugh. She tucked her winter coat in the bin above her head along with her purse and little duffel for the weekend. She wasn’t sure what to expect from the weekend, but she was excited to do a little sightseeing and see some mountains.

Settling into their seats, the flight didn’t seem as long as she thought it would be. Just about three and a half hours later, she was gently waking Beau from his nap as she tucked her few things back into her tote.

Beau had originally planned to stay with a few friends in Denver – free lodging and a little excitement to be with his buddies again. At the last minute, he changed his mind and booked a room not too far from the Pepsi Center, about fifteen minutes out from the main campus and ten from his friends’ house.

Jocelyn held his hand as they made their way through DIA, occasionally checking her phone for snapchats from her sister of her little nephew. She flipped the camera as they stood on the moving sidewalk, aiming at she and Beau. He pulled a big smile, making her giggle as she snapped the photo, sending it off to Amanda. Amanda was excited to see that her and Beau were getting more serious and even taking a trip together. He seemed like a nice guy and that he was bringing her little sister out of her shell a little bit.

“Hey.” He caught her attention while she fiddled with her phone. She looked up at him and smiled for a split second before he could kiss her. He pressed his head down against hers. “I’m glad you’re here with me.” He said, pressing his nose into her temple.

“I’m glad I’m here, too.” She replied, grinning with a hint of blush to her cheeks.

“I ordered a car to pick us up and bring us further into the city, you’ll see when we leave, but the airport is kind of in the middle of nowhere.” He laughed, taking her hand again as they got off the sidewalk.

Jocelyn was content to follow Beau through the airport as he dragged his little carry-on behind him with her duffel sitting on top. She tucked her hand under his bicep as to avoid his tender hand and reassured herself that they had in fact packed all of his medications – much to the delight of the security office at the Pittsburgh airport.

A black town car took them from the airport and further into Denver. Jocelyn watched with wide, curious eyes as mountains appeared in the distance.

“It’s beautiful here.” She said, making him grin. Even though his time in college was short, he did love the city of Denver.

“I’m going to take you to the best burrito place ever.” He said with a big smile. “There’s a good shopping quarter right by the hotel and some outdoor malls, it’s awesome.” He explained.

They arrived at the downtown hotel and he insisted on grabbing their bags once again. Grabbing their keys from the concierge, they hopped in the elevator and up to the tenth floor to their room.

“Oh, big giant bed.” She said excitedly, setting her duffel down and stretching across the California king Beau had specifically requested.

“Sorry I didn’t get a cool room or a suite or something.” He laughed nervously. She got up from the bed, giving him a funny look.

“Why would you do that?” She laughed as he scooted his little suitcase into a corner beside the television stand.

“I don’t know, to be special.” He shrugged, making her roll her eyes. She crossed the little space between them, resting her hands on his shoulders and giving him a pointed look.

“You don’t need to spend money on me to make me feel special.” She insisted, pressing her lips to his again, though this time, he didn’t let her get away quite so easily. She gasped softly as he walked her back towards the bed, his mouth slanted over hers and one hand smoothing down the back of her sweater.

“Beau,” she warned, “I don’t want to get all mussed up before I meet your friends!” She laughed as he attempted to unbuckle his belt with one hand.

“That’s fine, I didn’t even text them to tell them we’ve landed.” He grinned, making her laugh even more. She cut him some slack, helping him with his belt and flicking the button on his denim. He felt his pulse jettison at the prospect of getting laid. Getting ahead of himself, he stumbled into the bed, landing on his hand in just a way that made him hiss and squint his eyes.

“Oh, Beau.” Jocelyn frowned, instantly cradling his arm in her hands as gingerly as possible. “You need to be more careful, I told Jim and Dr. Moran I’d keep an eye on you.” She reminded. He puckered his lips at her, feeling sorry for himself – but feeling just a bit better when she kissed him.

“Can we still have sex?” He asked innocently enough.

“Beau!” She laughed, in turn, making him pounce on her. A moment later, his phone rang.

“That’s Luke!” He said, watching as his phone lit up. Jocelyn shook her head as he grabbed the phone.

- - -

No, bar hopping had never been Jocelyn’s idea of fun, but she was willing to take a run at it for Beau. The moment they met up with two of his former teammates, Luke and Sammy, it was like watching Beau turn into another person. He had made good on his promise on taking her to the best burrito place in town – Illegal Pete’s had delivered an excellent dinner for the foursome that night.

Luke and Sammy were nice, handsome boys that reminded her a lot of Beau, easily excited, sweet and just looking to have fun. After dinner, they drove over to the DU campus, showing her a few buildings he attended class in, his dorm building, and even surprised the current tenants of his dorm, signing a few things and taking photos.

Around eight, despite her desperate need to take a power nap and maybe a shower, they hit the bars in downtown Denver. Jocelyn worried momentarily that if he was photographed out and partying, he would get in trouble. Luke assured her that they were going to certain places that would respect their privacy and they would be with friends, who understood Beau’s circumstances.

Upon arriving at Luna, the first stop of the night, Jocelyn realized that she was wildly under dressed. Girls came out in droves, even in the cold weather, dressed in little black dresses, high-waisted skirts, low cut tops and hair curled and coiffed perfectly. Jocelyn felt small in her skinny jeans, booties and white sweater.

Beau lit up the room entirely, happy to see old friends, buy a few drinks and catch up with Luke and Sam.

After Jocelyn finished her lemonade, she head to the bar, her little wallet tucked in her back pocket. Jocelyn was never a big drinker, she wasn’t against it, but she didn’t necessarily go out of her way to reach for a beer at the end of the day.

“Vodka lemonade, please.” She ordered, showing her ID and paying for her low-slung glass. She liked that they were using pink lemonade, at least. Returning to the little glob of people that had formed with Beau on the far side, she felt her cheeks heat up. She couldn’t find her voice to ask to get through, clutching her glass tightly. They had been at Luna for an hour now, and she didn’t think she had said more than 30 words in that time, content to stand by Beau, smile, and shake hands with his friends – who while they were very friendly, likely saw her as an obstacle to get to the man of the hour.

Feeling her skin prickle, she set her drink down, thinking she would do well to have a little cold water on her hands, she head to the restroom.

Jocelyn was thankful that the bar wasn’t packed and that Beau was having a good time. She kept thinking about how their little getaway was a good way for him to take his mind off of his injury.

After using the restroom, washing her hands and taking a moment to collect herself in the mirror – wishing she brought her lipstick along with her – she head back to the main part of the bar.

Her essentially untouched drink was missing from the table she left it on. Before she could reach the bar to buy a new one, she noticed the sizable group she was standing with was gone.

“Um.” She bit her bottom lip, looking around. The bar wasn’t by any means big, but she thought perhaps they moved to a different area. Taking a walking tour of the establishment, she hoped to turn a corner and find her boyfriend, but with no avail, she realized she was alone. Stepping outside, she wrapped her arms around herself, expecting to see Beau holding a cab or standing with Luke and Sam – but yet again, alone.

Taking out her phone, she tapped on her favorites, ringing up Beau’s cell phone. Too embarrassed to head back into the bar and ask the bartender if she knew where her party had headed, she stayed outside as she waited for him to answer her phone. With no answer, she wasn’t sure what to do. She didn’t think to get Luke or Sam’s number at the beginning of the evening.

Trying Beau again, she leaned up against the front wall of Luna, at least trying to be out of the way of people on the sidewalk.

“Josie?” He answered, loud music and people talking behind him.

“Beau? Hi, were are you guys?” She asked.

“We’re at the bar, where are you?” He asked.

“I’m at the bar,” She replied, confused. “I’m at Luna.” She added.

“You’re at Luna? We’re three blocks down at The Den.” He said. “Why aren’t you here? Did you leave?” He asked.

“I went to the bathroom and everyone was gone when I came out.” She said, picking a direction and walking that way, hoping she was going toward The Den.

“What? Sam! You let us leave without Josie? I thought you said she was with you.” Beau turned his attention to his friend, instantly making her feel even more embarrassed. Keeping her head down, she kept walking. “Stay where you are, I’ll come get you.” He turned his attention back to her.

“No, no, stay with your friends.” She insisted, “You know, I think I might head back to the hotel.” She said, the words coming out of her mouth before she even really thought of it.

“What? Jose, no, I mean it, I’ll come find you. Send me a drop pin.” He insisted.

“No, really, I’m not feeling very well and I want you to have a good time with your friends.” She insisted, “stay, have a good time, and I’ll meet you back at the room tonight.” She finished. There was a long pause on the line. “Beau, I mean it, it’s okay.” She added.

“I won’t be gone late.” He replied.

“Just be careful with drinking,” She insisted, “if anything happens to you, I’ll kill Luke and Sam.” She joked, trying to bring a little levity to the situation, able to hail a taxi. “Text me once and a while so I know you’re alive.” She finished.

“I will.” He added, “I’ll see you tonight, babe.” He said quietly.

“Tonight” She confirmed before he hung up. Heading back to the hotel, Jocelyn felt a little relief about not having to jump around and drink all night, but she also felt a little sick, not comfortable with leaving Beau to party. She knew he was a smart guy and that his friends would take care of him, but she still worried.

Back at the hotel, she changed into one of his t-shirts and a pair of blue panties, crawling into bed and turning on the TV. At nine-thirty, she figured Beau would be home by eleven or midnight. Catching one of her favorite movies on AMC, she pulled up a game on her iPhone and settled in for a relaxing night.

The next morning, when she woke at almost ten, she was still alone in the bed. She looked around for signs that Beau had maybe come back at one point, but the other side of the bed was untouched, his suitcase undisturbed and a missed call on her phone… from her sister.

Opening up her phone, she recalled being awake still at eleven with no sign from Beau.

“Hello?” He answered.

“Beau, where are you?” She said, feeling instant déjà vu from the night before.

“Josie, I’m so sorry, my phone died before I could call you last night when we got back to Luke’s and I crashed here.” She could hear the sleep in his voice.

“How late were you out?” She asked, when she really wanted to say ‘and no one at Luke’s place had a cell phone charger or a cell phone to borrow?’ or ‘how are you using your phone now?’

“I think we got back here at… three?” He suggested, making her frown.

“Okay, well all of our medicaitons are here for your wrist.” She reminded.

“Are you mad?” He asked, causing her to hear pussy! in the background, making her frown deeper.

“No, I’m not mad, I was just worried, and I want to make sure you stay on track with your medicine.” She replied.

“I’ll be there in twenty minutes, okay?” He assured.

“It’s okay, take your time, I’ll be here anyway.” She shrugged. Beau rolled up about an hour later, looking worse for wear and instantly making her worried at just how hard hey partied the previous night. Josie didn’t want to miss Denver because of Beau, so when he arrived back at the hotel, she was not in their room.

When he failed to show up after 45 minutes, she wandered down to the lobby and spoke to the concierge to hear that there was a great coffee and pastry shop just across the street from the hotel.

Beau ran a hand through his hair upon entering the hotel room. He quickly showered, waking up a bit before finding some clean clothes and taking his medicine that Jocelyn laid out for him on his made side of the bed. As he was brushing his teeth, the door opened and Jocelyn appeared with a coffee and a little white bag.

“Morning.” He greeted, eyes tired even after his shower.

“Hey you.” She smiled, “how are you feeling?” She asked. He just shook his head.

“I feel awful.” He replied, watching as she sat at the little desk in the room and pulling a delicious looking chocolate croissant from her bag.

“God that looks good.” He said, watching as she promptly portioned it in half and offering him some. “Thanks, baby.” He replied, downing the decadent treat in a single bite. Jocelyn nurtured hers and her coffee as he recounted the wild night they had.

“I’m glad you had fun.” She smiled, gathering her hair in front of her shoulder and braiding it down the front of her shoulder.

“It was great, but now I need a nap.” He declared. “Even after showering, I still need to power nap.” He announced, flopping down on their bed. Jocelyn didn’t want to show her disappointment. She really wanted to see more of Denver and spend time with Beau, but now the day was half gone and they were leaving the next morning to get back to Pittsburgh.

“Any plans you want to make for tonight?” She asked.

“Probably just hang out, get something to eat. I think we’re meeting Luke and Sam at eight?” He mentioned, making her a little more disappointed.

She flashed back to when she interacted with Bailey Crosby, the dressing up and going out, staying out, partying, keeping up appearances… and had decided that they were just too different of people. She had wondered the same thing of Beau in the past, but now, the same doubts were creeping into the back of her mind.

That night had ended much like the night before. Beau stayed out and partied late into the morning, and Jocelyn could only keep up until eleven. She made polite small talk with friends, stayed by Beau’s side, nodded and smiled, and tried to have a good time, though she wasn’t disappointed when she head back to the hotel.

Upon arriving back at her own apartment and in her own bedroom on Sunday around one in the afternoon, she let out a long breath that she felt like she had been holding in since Thursday.

With an even deeper look at Beau’s life, she had more doubts than ever, that maybe they weren’t as compatible as she thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
hey everyone, i know updates have been coming only about once a week - there's a few reasons for that. first and foremost, i have been dealing with some extremely difficult personal issues in the past two weeks. from work, to family, to the passing of a loved one, my personal life is taking a real hit.
also, i've been losing a lot of my passion for writing lately. i try very hard to put together things that i think my readers will enjoy and the lack of feedback is just disheartening - and making it even harder to find motivation.
it feels like there's a big disconnect between my readership and number of subscribers versus the comments i get. this obviously doesn't apply to everyone because i have some truly great readers who consistently comment and are just wonderful.
i do want to write, i do want to contribute and hear from you, but right now, the motivation is seriously lacking - i hope you understand.

in other news, the week is halfway over. finish strong!
xo