Lonely No More

steelers

On Wednesday morning, Jocelyn was feeling a lot better than she did Tuesday morning. Even with her one drink, she woke up with a bit of dry mouth. The library science majors weren’t exactly big drinkers at Slippery Rock.

Walking into the shower in her one-bedroom apartment, she quickly scrubbed down and washed her hair. As the temperatures cooled, she’d have less chances to wear a skirt to work, so she quickly shaved her legs as well.

Instead of tucking her hair into a bun at the back of her neck, she braided it down in front of her shoulder. She chose a thin grey sweater to go with her black skirt and a pair of neon-pink studs along with her glasses and her favorite pair of black work heels. If she left now, she could run through Starbucks before making it to the arena.

Doing just that, she arrived at the Consol with minutes to spare, setting up her workspace and replenishing the starburst container on the desk. Jocelyn was very particular about how she kept her desk – she needed it clean and organized if she was going to be able to focus on her work. Everything had it’s place, even her coffee.

“Oh, new candy.” Marc Andre Fleury grinned as he approached the desk.

“Don’t just pick out the pink!” She admonished playfully, still keeping an eye on her ever-growing inbox count.

“Don’t worry, I will take some red, too.” He flashed her his blinding smile before moving on to the locker rooms. She shook her head with a laugh, Marc was always charming and made her laugh.

By the time Jim arrived, she had already squared away her calendar for the day, he took a lemon starburst with his morning coffee and asked her to stop by his office around two that day to update the list of prospects who were on a two-way contract.

It wasn’t another ten minutes before the next player arrived. Sidney looked especially tired that day, his hat pulled down low over his eyes and a large coffee in hand.

“Did Marc already take all the pink?” He frowned. “This is a new bowl, there should be a limit to how many one person can take of the same color.” He insisted. Jocelyn quietly grabbed two saved pink candies and set them on top of her desk, pushing them toward the captain. “You’re the best.” He sighed before taking them and walking further into the arena.

Beau trailed Kris Letang into the arena, his eyes immediately snapping to Jocelyn who propped her desk phone between her ear and shoulder as she faced her computer screen.

“Sure, I can handle it no problem.” She spoke to whoever was on the other line. “Yes, by no later than three tomorrow.” She added. Beau did not like the way she looked up at Kris, instantly smiling while he merely nodded at her before disappearing into the locker room. He didn’t deserve her attention. She looked at him in a completely different way. “Morning.” She sighed, finally hanging up the phone.

“Exciting times at the Penguins office?” He asked, stopping at her desk and pecking a red starburst from the bowl.

“Always.” She laughed. “That was the travel coordinator for the Rangers, kind of bitchy.” She scrunched her nose.

“I like your earrings.” He blurted out with his starburst half-chewed in his mouth. He wanted to find the deepest, darkest hole and dive in.

“Thanks, my friend gave them to me for Christmas last year.” She brought a hand up to touch the pink studs. “They’re knockoffs of much nicer ones.” She laughed, making him grin. It sounded a lot like something his younger sister would say.

“Hey, so do you like football?” He asked, instantly feeling like an idiot.

“It’s okay.” She shrugged. “I’m more of a baseball girl myself, but it’s fun to watch.” She added.

“Well Bortz and I are going to have some people over to watch the Steelers play the Ravens, you should come.” He encouraged.

“Do you and Robert live together?” She asked.

“We used to, I just moved out but we still hang out a lot. It’s a potluck but we’re providing the drinks. Bailey and Missy will be coming, I think Vero is bringing Estelle and Leo.” He amended.

“Yeah, that sounds like fun.” She nodded.

“I mean, if you’re not busy.” He supplied.

“Not too busy, no.” She shook her head. “I can come along and eat and pretend to know what’s going on.” She laughed before her phone could ring again. “Sorry, it’s Jim.” She said, glancing at the display before answering. Beau grabbed one more starburst before walking past to the locker rooms.

“So?” Sidney asked almost right away.

“So what?” Beau asked, mindful of Kris’ presence before the defenseman walked to the showers and toilets. “She’s coming.” He whispered.

“That a boy!” Sidney clapped the blonde on the shoulder.

“Can you not!” He smiled anyway, shoving Sidney away.

“Better hope Bortz cleans up that apartment.” The captain laughed. Back at the reception area, Jocelyn had just ended her call with Jim when Bailey Crosby appeared in the doorway to the offices.

“Hi Bailey.” Jocelyn greeted.

“Hey Joss, Sid in there?” She asked, to which she nodded. “Can you watch her for just a minute?” She motioned to a sleeping Sadie Crosby on her hip. “I said I would grab some of Sid’s extra equipment from Heinze.” She spoke of the Penguins equipment manager.

“Sure, that should be fine.” She nodded, standing up and coming around the other side of the desk. Bailey quickly shifted the little girl from her hip to Joss’. She brushed back a hair from Sadie’s face as she burrowed deeper against Jocelyn’s skin, looking for warmth.

Not ten minutes later, Bailey reappeared with a hockey bag tossed over her shoulder.

“Thanks so much, I was just going to have Sidney grab it, but I was in the area and it was too easy just to drop by.” She said, reaching for Jocelyn. “Almost Friday! Any fun plans this weekend?”

“Beau invited me to Robert’s place this weekend to watch a football game.” She began, “I might drive you an see my nephew on Sunday and take him to brunch.” She added.

“How old?” Bailey asked.

“He’s turning six this December.” She grinned, she was very proud of her Mikey. He was probably her favorite family member.

“You should bring him this weekend.” She encouraged, “Miss Sadie is coming and I know Marc and Vero are bringing Leo and ‘stelle.” She insisted.

“Yeah, maybe,” She nodded, “Saturdays are usually his time to spend with his mom, but I’ll ask if Saturday or Sunday works better for her.” She offered, even though she wasn’t likely to ask.

- - -

When Saturday rolled around, Jocelyn had no idea what to wear. She wanted to keep in mind that while it was a casual event, these were still people she worked with. She opted for a pair of fitted, dark jeans, a thin black long-sleeve tee and a yellow scarf. It was the closest thing she had to Steelers gear. She tied her hair in the same knot at the base of her neck and wore her glasses before slipping into a pair of fall boots.

She walked into her little kitchen to grab the tray of cookies she baked – they were nothing special – chocolate chip, but they were from a recipe from her aunt that always stayed moist and chewy.

She hoped it wasn’t too boring of a contribution. Grabbing her cell, she Google-mapped the way to Bortuzzo’s apartment. It was eleven-thirty now and the game would be starting at one. Beau said people could start coming over as early as ten.

In Shadyside, Beau Bennett thought he was going to lose his mind. He said people could come as early as ten and it was already eleven-thirty with no sign of Josie. Was she not coming? It sounded she was going to come on Thursday. Sure, he didn’t get the chance to talk to her Friday, but even Bailey thought she was going to come today.

“Beau, take a breather, she’s on her way.” Bailey said, able to see the turmoil on his face.

“She is?” He asked, instantly alert.

“Just text me for the apartment number.” She held up her cell.

“You have her number?” He asked.

“Want it?” She grinned. When the buzzer rang, he slid across the polished wood floors to the front door.

“Hey!” He greeted, faltering only a tiny but upon seeing Kris Letang with a bag of chips.

“’ey Beau.” He replied, clapping his teammate on the back before moving into the apartment. He was quite possibly the last person Beau expected to see that day. Kris didn’t usually show to parties – especially not on the weekend – and he wasn’t looking forward to watching Jocelyn fawn over him all day.

Just after he closed the door and turned to walk away, there was another buzz. Reaching for the handle, he collected himself before opening the door.

“Hi Beau.” Jocelyn smiled. God, she was beautiful. Her black top clung to her like a second skin, perfectly molding to her skin and showing off her flat stomach and perky breasts.

“Hey Josie, come in.” He said, stepping aside as she carried a tray of cookies.

“Where can I set these?” She asked, motioning to the platter.

“Here, I can take them into the kitchen. What can I get you to drink?” He asked.

“Oh, um, I’m fine for now.” She replied, following him into the apartment. She immediately felt overwhelmed by the amount of people in the sprawling flat.

“Are you sure? We have pretty much anything.” He smiled, maintaining eye contact.

“Really, I’m good, I’ll let you know otherwise.” She insisted. Beau nodded.

“There’s a ton of food in the kitchen, too. Bortz is gonna grill hot dogs and brats in a little bit.” He ushered her into the family room. Jocelyn split away from Beau right away, heading straight to Bailey, relieved to see a familiar face. It wasn’t that everyone else was unfamiliar, but she knew Bailey the best. Beau didn’t know how to feel, the moment she walked in the door, she practically ran away from him. Did he come on too strong?

“Hi Joss.” Bailey greeted her friend with a hug as she kept one eye on Sadie who was chasing Leo around the dining room. Sidney stood with Marc as they watched the two and nursed a pair of beers.

“Hi.” Jocelyn smiled. “Lot of people here.” She commented.

“Yeah, I think more than they expected to show.” Bailey laughed, making Jocelyn grin.

“Big apartment, though.” She noted, looking around.

“Are you okay?” Bailey asked, “you seem a little nervous.” She smiled softly.

“Social situations sometimes make me anxious.” She confessed. “After a little time, I’ll be fine, but right away, I’m a little skittish.” She bit her lip. “It helps that we’re near a wall.” She insisted.

“Well let me know if I can do anything.” Bailey patted her hand as Sadie came barreling over.

“Mama!” She squealed, resting her hands on Bailey and Jocelyn’s knees.

“Hi sweetheart, are you having fun?” Bailey asked. Sadie nodded reaching her arms up, wanting to be held. Bailey hauled the little girl into her lap.

“I wanna juice, thirsty.” She touched her neck as she looked up at Bailey.

“What kind do you want?” Jocelyn asked.

“Apple!” She smiled.

“Joss let me get it.” Bailey insisted.

“Just save my seat.” She countered with a smile, getting up and crossing the room to the dining room, which lead to the kitchen. Her stride stuttered as she saw Kris in the kitchen, rutting around the fridge. “A-any chance of a juice box on there?” She asked. Kris turned at the sound of her voice, smiled at her, then turned back to the fridge.

“Try not to hit it too hard.” He winked, making her knees weak as he tossed her the Juicy Juice. Somehow she mustered the coordination to catch it.

“Thanks.” She laughed. Beau’s look darkened as he waked into the kitchen. She selected a water bottle from one of the tubs of ice and turned. “Hi Beau.” She greeted, moving past him to the family room again. As soon as he came, she went.

His frustration was mounting, how could he ever talk to her if he couldn’t ever get near her? A few moments later as Kris left, Bailey walked in.

“Hi baby Beau.” She grinned, rattling off her favorite nickname. “Why the face?” She asked.

“Nothing.” He shook his head, walking past her back to the family room. The game was going to be starting soon anyway. He spotted Josie sitting in the back corner of the room, sitting on the floor with Sadie and Leo who were listening to her very intently, clutching juice boxes. He watched as Sadie wiggled her way from the ground to Jocelyn’s lap, listening closely.

Al he wanted was a little alone time and she’d even rather spend time with the kids. He took a seat on one of the open recliners, keeping an eye on her as she interacted with the kids, Sadie eventually fell asleep and it wasn’t too long after that Leo followed suit, leaning against her. She looked up, scanning the room to see Beau looking over at her and she mouthed ‘help’. He sprang into action.

“I’ll take this one if you take that one.” He offered, hoping it was having some kind of effect on her as he overly flexed while picking up the thirty-pound little girl. Jocelyn let herself check out Beau’s biceps as he lifted Sadie but quickly looked away.

“Thanks.” She said appreciatively. They carried the toddlers over to their mothers who were sharing a sofa. “These are for you.” She laughed. “Beau, can you point me in the direction of the bathroom?” She asked.

“Let me show you.” He essentially beamed. She followed him down the hallway past a guest bedroom, which still looked semi-lived in.

“Let me guess, this used to be your room?” She asked, stepping inside and looking around.

“Yeah,” he rubbed the back of his neck. I still have a few random things in here I need to bring home with me today.” He laughed.

“What made you decide to move out?” She asked, “this is a really nice place.” Way nicer than mine.

“When I signed a longer contract, I wanted my own space.” He explained, “plus, Bortz needed…space, too since his girlfriend started visiting more over the summer.” He rolled his eyes, making her laugh. He loved the sound of her laugh.

“This room has great light, I feel like I can breathe in here.” She spread her arms out perpendicular to her sides. “I told Bailey this, but I get a little anxious in rooms full of people. This is nice.” She sighed.

“Is that why you never come into the locker room?” He asked.

“You noticed that?” She asked, cheeks flushing pink.

“I notice.” He grinned.

“Well yes, that’s why, and I’m always nervous I’ll walk in on someone changing.” She laughed, making him grin even wider.

“You’re funny.” He shook his head. “I know a thousand girls that would break into the locker room for that same reason.” He added.

“Not me.” She immediately flushed an even darker red.

“No, not you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
here's chapter two!
thank you to the 3 people who commented on the first chapter, but i'd love to hear from more of you! i already have 40 subscribers on this story and your feedback would be very much appreciated!
xo