Lonely No More

dirty shirley

Jocelyn felt out of place – extremely out of place – as she stood in Bailey Crosby’s closet. It was a Saturday night in Pittsburgh and she had been all but forcibly removed from her home that afternoon and brought to the Crosby’s cavernous home.

“I mean, what’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” She asked, hands fidgeting in front of her as Bailey skimmed through her unending supply of cute dresses.

“Because, that is not an outfit to go out – not with this crowd.” She said pointedly.

“You mean go out to dinner, right?” She asked, biting her lip, gazing around the closet that was the size of her family room in her little apartment.

“Yeah, dinner and drinks.” Bailey nodded, looking over her friend who wore her same black skirt, black tights and black heels with a red blouse. She looked like she was going to work. She couldn’t wait to get that hair down.

“I want you to try this on.” She held up a charcoal grey dress that would hug her pretty tightly. They were close to the same height and were about a size a part in dresses. This particular number was a wrap dress, so she could fasten it a bit tighter to fit her better.

“I feel like maybe it’s cut a little low?” Jocelyn asked.

“We’ll make it work. Is your hair clean?” Bailey asked. Jocelyn frowned, touching her hair.

“Yes, I wash and blow-dried this morning – what’s wrong with my hair?”

“Dress first, then we’ll talk about the rest.” Bailey said, handing the garment over and closing the closet doors behind her. Jocelyn sighed, carefully undoing the buttons of her blouse and stepping out of her skirt before pulling the dress over her head. At least it looked good with her black tights.

She was showing a lot of cleavage in her opinion, but the dress fell a few inches above her knees and cinched at the waist, showing off her figure. She didn’t look as bad as she imagined, but she was still far from comfortable in the dark grey number.

“Can I see?” Bailey asked. Jocelyn exhaled slowly before opening the closet doors.

“Ow ow, hot mama!” Bailey grinned happily. “You look good!.” She complimented.

“This looks weird on me, Bailey, I feel weird.” She frowned, smoothing the cotton down her waist.

“You look amazing, you have a hot bod, Joss!” Bailey insisted, “now let’s see what we can do to accessorize.” She said, walking back into the closet to the far wall where her jewelry boxes sat as well as several hooks holding different statement necklaces. “This one.” She selected a chunky maroon necklace that drew even more attention to her cleavage.

“I like the necklace.” Jocelyn admitted. “Where did you get it?” She asked.

“A friend gave it to me in high school, actually, isn’t that funny?” Bailey asked. Figuring that her pearl earrings and simple gold ring on her right hand would be just fine. “Now let’s do something about this hair.” She said, grabbing Jocelyn’s hand and dragging her from the closet to the bathroom.

Much to Jocelyn’s protests, her hair had been freed form her tight bun and waved down her back.

“Joss, you have gorgeous hair, you need to stop hiding it.” Bailey insisted. “Women would kill for hair like this.” She scolded. Her dark hair had been tousled into loose, soft curls to just below her breasts. “God you look hot.” She had no problem tooting her own horn. “You’re like my own little doll to dress up.” She said excitedly.

“Just to be clear, I’m not much shorter than you.” She said, making Bailey laugh.

“You look so good.” Bailey said, rather pleased with herself.

“I looked good before, too.” Jocelyn frowned, a little annoyed at Bailey’s surprised praise.

“No, you totally did, sorry, I didn’t mean to make it sound like that.” Bailey said, immediately. “You are gorgeous, we all know it.” She said, placing her hands on Joss’ shoulders.

“I wouldn’t go that far.” Jocelyn blushed.

“Sidney said he’ll be by in fifteen to pick us up. I’m going to touch up my makeup. He’s driving tonight, so if you want to head home or crash here, you’re more than welcome, we have lots of space.” She assured her friend who was reaching for her little black wristlet where she had stashed forty dollars, her ID, her car keys and her debit card in case of emergency.

Not too much later, Sidney’s car pulled into the driveway after wrangling up some of the younger teammates that he said he would drive that evening, including Beau Bennett.

“Joss, you ready?” Bailey called. With a nervous feeling in her stomach, Jocelyn followed Bailey from the house through the garage to the driveway. “You look great.” She reassured quietly, giving her hand a squeeze.

Beau’s mouth ran dry when he saw Jocelyn emerge from the house in her little grey dress, long legs and heels. But most of all, her he finally saw her hair down for the first time since she started working for the Penguins almost five months ago.

“Is that Jocelyn?” Bortz asked with eyed eyes.

“Wow.” Sidney commented, getting out of the car to open the door for them.

“Thanks, baby.” Bailey kissed her husband’s cheek as she slid into the car.

“Hi.” Jocelyn smiled nervously as she sat in the seat behind Bailey’s beside Beau and in front of Robert who must have drawn the short stick to sit in the way back of the large SUV.

“Hi Josie.” Beau smiled, trying to be discreet as he took in her appearance. “You look great.” He commented.

“Thank you.” She smiled, crossing her legs and folding her hands in her lap after fastening her seat belt. They were meeting a handful of people at a nice place for dinner and then apparently heading to another place for drinks.

God she smells good. Beau sat on his hands to keep from touching her hair. He wanted to say so much more, but not in a car full of people. Maybe he would be able to get her alone again tonight. Since their encounter a week earlier, she had made herself scarce, even at work, and he wondered if he had done something wrong.

When they arrived at the restaurant, it was already dark and Jocelyn was starving. When Bailey had invited her out that night, she decided to hold off on eating very much before going out to make paying for a meal with her money.

“Little chilly.” She commented as she walked side by side with Beau behind Sidney and Bailey into the establishment where Marc, Vero, Jayson, and Paul were waiting at a big table in the back. Jocelyn was relieved to find a seat between Bailey and Beau, feeling a bit overwhelmed by the amount of people in the restaurant as well as being in a group of people where she didn’t know everyone very well.

Jocelyn crossed her legs toward Beau, opening her menu and biting her lip. She should have brought more money, but she supposed that’s why she brought her debit card. She should have guessed they were going to be going somewhere nice considering the group, but not this expensive.

“What looks good?” Beau asked, looking down at her with those crystal blue eyes. She had never noticed what nice eyes he had before.

“Salad.” She mumbled, making him laugh.

“That is not what looks good.” He gave her a pointed look.

“No, but it looks cheap.” She whispered. Beau felt a little guilty for Jocelyn, they didn’t quite take into consideration that not everyone who was coming to dinner made at least a million dollars a year.

“How about this, I buy food, you buy drinks.” He propositioned.

“That’s hardly fair.” She looked up at him.

“I didn’t say it was fair.” Beau laughed. “You buy drinks and dessert.” He added. “I love dessert.” He added.

“Only if we share dessert.” She amended.

“Deal.” He nodded. Jocelyn still opted for one of the cheaper options, choosing chicken over the steak she really wanted, and even retained her willpower when Beau offered her a bite of his. She loaded up on her sides, thankful for the oversized baked potato and generous portion of glazed green beans.

For dessert, she and Beau split a skillet cookie, Bailey watching enviously as Sidney said he didn’t want any dessert.

“Beau.” She laughed, looking up to see that he had smudges of chocolate all over his lips.

“What?” He asked, opening his mouth for another bite. “I have some on my face?” He asked.

“Yes.” She nodded with a laugh. He took his napkin, discreetly dipping it in his water glass when he thought no one was looking before wiping off his mouth. She playfully pushed his thigh with a laugh when he looked at his napkin.

“There’s enough for another cookie here.” He said, making her giggle even louder.

“You’re funny.” She laughed, patting him on the leg. True to his word, Beau paid for dinner while Jocelyn paid for the drinks and cookie.

Beau wanted her to keep thinking he was funny.

- - -

Walking up to the upscale bar that Marc had recommended, they were quartered off into different nearby tables. Jocelyn quickly scanned the area, trying her best to keep her social anxiety in check. She looped an arm around Beau’s elbow as she regulated her breathing.

“You okay?” He asked, knowing she might be having a hard time.

“Fine.” She smiled, “I’ll be fine.” She added.

“What do you want to drink? First drink is always on captain.” Beau insisted, nodding to Sidney who hadn’t even bothered to sit down with his friends, but loitered around the bar instead.

“Dirty Shirley.” She replied with a smile, Beau’s eyes flickering up to meet hers, hoping he hadn’t been caught staring at her cleavage.

“Got it.” He said, pulling out a chair for her before doubling back to the bar. Jocelyn made small talk with Jayson, someone she knew was a good friend of Beau’s as he visited with Sidney at the bar.

“So?” Sidney asked as a bartender went to grab a notepad to take the mass order.

“I think it’s going well.” Beau nodded, “she’s opening up a bit to me more.” He added. “I had dinner at her place last weekend.” He said quietly, something he hadn’t told anyone.

“Really?” Sidney asked, surprised, to which Beau nodded.

“Yeah, but we haven’t had much contact since, I think maybe I came on too strong.” He mentioned.

“Some women need that little push to know that you’re interested.” Sidney shrugged. “Has she treated you any differently since?”

“Not too different.” Beau shook his head. “I’m hoping to get a little more alone time with her tonight. That, and I’m hoping Letang doesn’t show up.” Beau blew a piece of hair from his eyes.

“Doesn’t she know about him?” Sidney asked, to which Beau shook his head. Finally, the bartender returned and the blonde grabbed Joss’ drink as soon as it appeared, carrying it back to the table along with his beer.

“What, no drink for me? I gotta show a little skin to get some alcohol around here, too?” Jayson asked, making Jocelyn laugh and Beau flame red. Beau took a drink of his beer and, while he was feeling brave, slung an arm around the back of Jocelyn’s chair.

“I have news.” Jocelyn smiled discreetly at Beau.

“What kind of news?” He asked, instantly enthralled in whatever she had to say.

“I get to come to the Stadium Series game this year.” She said, a twinkle in her eye. She hadn’t shared the news yet with anyone else, not even her sister, since learning about it a few days ago when Jim asked her to attend. Sure, she would be doing some work, but he assured her that she wouldn’t need to work during the game and would get to enjoy it from a warm suite.

“You are?!” Beau asked excitedly, “that’s awesome!” He said, clinking their glasses together.

“What’s awesome, I want to know.” Jayson said, catching the attention of a few more people at the table next to theirs.

“Joss is coming to the Stadium Series game.” Beau said proudly, grinning as he watched her face turn a bright shade of pink. It was adorable how embarrassed she could get over little things.

“How’s Jim?” Jayson asked, “we don’t really interact with him a whole lot.” He spoke of the relatively new GM of the Penguins.

“Jim is nice.” Jocelyn nodded, “I mean, we don’t ever talk about anything but work, but he’s friendly and super professional. I can tell he cares a lot about the team.” She nodded.

“Come on.” Jayson rolled his eyes. “Tell us what you really think.” He insisted. “You’re not at work now.”

“I mean it!” She laughed, “He’s a good guy. Can’t grow a moustache to save his life, but he’s great.” She added, making Beau and Sidney both laugh.

“Josie with the stinger.” He grinned, rubbing her shoulder. He reached for her drink, grabbing the stem of one of her three maraschino cherries floating at the top above the ice.

“Hey!” She laughed, “that’s mine.” She watched as he popped the fruit into his mouth.

“Mine now,” He grinned, “want it back?” He loved the way her lips parted at his question. Before she could respond, her mind went blank, watching as the always-beautiful Kristopher Letang walked into the bar, and with him, an even more flawless blonde woman on his arm. Beau followed her gaze, frustrated enough to flip a table as he saw Catherine with him.

Kris greeted everyone before slipping into a set of empty chairs at Ehrhoff and Sutter’s table. Jocelyn felt immediately and overwhelmingly out of place. She knew she needed to get out of that place fast as she saw Kris place his hand on the blonde’s leg and turn to her, whispering in her ear to make her smile.

“When are those two getting married again?” Bortz asked, the final nail in the coffin as Jocelyn felt like the dumbest little girl on the planet. All the times she had smiled at him so wantonly, attempted to lure him into conversation and sprayed on just a bit more perfume for him. She must have looked like a complete airhead.

How could someone like Kris Letang not have a girlfriend, or for that matter, a fiancée? She wanted to shrink up as small as possible and dissolve into thin air.

Beau watched the emotions flitting across Jocelyn’s face as she openly stared at the couple a few tables over, able to see as color crept up the back of her neck to her cheeks.

“I need to use the restroom.” She split, standing up too quickly and knocking her chair back as she all but ran away from the table, drawing the attention of some of her newfound friends.

“Fuck.” Beau hissed, figuring he’d give her a minute before going to see if she was okay. It broke his heart that she cared that much about Kris being in a relationship. She must have really hoped something was going to happen with the two of them.

“What was that about?” Jayson asked.

“Nothing.” Beau muttered, draining his beer before turning to look for Bailey. The captain’s wife caught Beau’s gaze and noticed the empty seat beside him.

“Sorry.” She mouthed silently. A few moments later, Beau got up, wandering to the bathroom himself. The men’s and women’s restrooms were single occupancy, making it less awkward when he knocked on the door.

“Josie? You okay?” He called. He waited a beat but there was no response. “Josie?” Feeling brave, he pushed on the handle to find the door open and the bathroom vacant. “Where the fuck?” He asked himself, turning to see an exit door down the small hallway. He booked it outside into the cool October night. In the alleyway of the bar, he turned to the street and walked until he hit the sidewalk, seeing Josie leaning against the building and looking down at her cell phone. “Jose, what are you doing?” He asked.

“Just needed some fresh air.” She said, fumbling as she stuck her phone back into her little wristlet. She suddenly felt so stupid in her dress and with her hair all over her shoulders, blowing in the breeze. Did she really think that a new outfit was going to make Kris notice her? She started to question why she even left her apartment that night.

“Hey, come back to me.” He said, placing his hands on her shoulders. “Do you want to get out of here?” He asked, more than willing to ditch the bar that night.

“You’d leave with me?” She asked, looking up at him. The height difference between the two was almost comical.

“Of course.” He nodded.

“But, we didn’t drive here, and – ” She stopped as Beau cradled her head with his hand.

“Look, a taxi.” He smiled, keeping eye contact with her as the car rolled to a stop right beside them as if on cue. “Come over to my place, I can attempt to make you a drink.” He offered. She wasn’t sure what compelled her to nod, but before she knew it, their taxi was stopping at an upscale apartment building about ten minutes west of her home.

“So, I have…” He glanced over his liquor cabinet, which was pretty pitiful looking. He looked in the fridge instead. “Oh, I have a summer shandy.” He said excitedly, holding it up for her. He was being too sweet to deny, so she accepted the bottle.

Beau grabbed himself a Guinness before standing opposite the kitchen island from her. Joss had made herself comfortable at the island, kicking off her shoes and leaning against the back of the high-top.

“Your apartment is gorgeous.” She gushed. “How many bedrooms is it?” She asked.

“Three.” He replied, “I know it seems like overkill but if my family comes to visit, I don’t want them to be too squished.” He replied.

“You have a lot of siblings, right?” She asked, remembering he had mentioned it once before.

“Four siblings.” He nodded, “three brothers and a sister.”

“Wow, I have no idea what that could have been like.” She shook her head with a smile, taking a sip of her beer.

“You just have one sister, right?” He asked, to which she nodded.

“Amanda.” She smiled, “Amanda and then my nephew, Mikey, that’s about it.” She grinned, pulling out her cell phone, flicking to a few photos they took together at the zoo a week earlier. “This is us at the zoo.” She showed the phone to Beau who saw the little boy with the same dark hair as his aunt, but big brown eyes.

“He’s cute.” Beau laughed at the photo where her nephew was pretending to be an elephant. “Do you want kids?” He asked, sliding her phone back to her.

“Yeah, I think so.” She shrugged, “the older you get, the more you realize that one day it will be just your and your siblings, so I think it would be important to have kids some day – make sure they have someone no matter what.” She explained, intriguing him.

“Is it just you, Amanda and Mikey now?” Beau asked, knowing he may be pushing a limit with her. She nodded, looking down at her drink and crossing her legs.

“Yep, for a while now. We have a set of grandparents in Hamilton, but we haven’t talked to them in… I don’t even know how long, almost ten years.” She shrugged.

“What happened to your parents?” He asked, knowing that his mother would have happily slapped him upside the head for asking.

“My Dad left us when I was thirteen, a year later… my mom jumped off a bridge. Decided she didn’t want to live without him.” She said, twirling her beer around on its axis. “Dad didn’t want us when she died, and so we stayed with my grandparents until Amanda turned eighteen.” She explained. “Ever since then, it’s been us.” She finished.”

Beau set his beer down, walking around the island and drew Joss from the chair and into his arms.

“I’m sorry that happened to you.” He mumbled into her hair, hugging her tightly.

“It’s okay, Beau, it was a long – ”

“No, it’s not okay, Josie.” He insisted, “it’s definitely not okay.” He said.

They stood like that for a moment, Jocelyn reveled in the warmth of Beau’s arms.

“What fun I am, right?” She laughed, rubbing at her watery eyes. “First I make us leave the bar and now you have to listen to my sad little sob story.” She gave a light laugh.

“You don’t have to be fun and games all the time, you know.” He grinned, rubbing a hand down the back of her head, smoothing out the hair he had tousled. “you gonna be okay? You know, with Kris?” He asked quietly.

“It was just a stupid crush.” She felt like an idiot for being so dramatic. “It was stupid, anyway, someone like him ever noticing someone like me.” She picked up her drink, taking another long sip.

“I don’t know why you’re beating yourself up like this.” He said, walking around the kitchen island, reaching up into the cupboard above his refrigerator and retrieving a box of hostess chocolate chip cookie sandwiches. “You’re smart, and kind and beautiful and sweet.” He accentuated, taking a treat out of its package, splitting it in half. He very much enjoyed the color pink she turned.

“Stop.” She blushed, taking a bite of her cookie. “You love cookies.” She grinned.

“I like sweet things.” He met her gaze, grinning.

When did Beau get to be so charming?
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter 5!
you all make it so easy and fun to update when you're so great with commenting!
keep it up!
will poor jocelyn ever recover from kris having a fiancé?
happy weekend!
xo