Lonely No More

cheek

“Ready big guy?” Jocelyn asked, strapping Mikey into his car seat in the back of her little sedan.

“Yes!” He wiggled excitedly. They’d be going to see the Pittsburgh Penguins that evening as they took on the Winnipeg Jets. It was also Mikey’s first live NHL game. He had been bouncing around his house all week, looking forward to the hockey game and sleepover at his aunt’s house. She was easily the coolest aunt ever.

“We’ll be there in no time.” She encouraged. Driving to the arena, they talked about his week at school and which movies they were going to watch the next day with breakfast. He held her hand tightly as she led him into the arena. “That’s my desk.” She pointed out, “and this will bring us to the hallway to the locker room, the lounges and the dressing room.” She held the door open for him.

“That’s the locker room?” He asked, pointing to the door with the large Penguins logo.

“Yep, we’re going to go in there and say hi to everyone after the game.” She grinned. They walked to the lounge beside the locker room, grabbing bottles of Gatorade and sitting down on the chairs. She smiled as she saw Sidney Crosby poke his head out of the locker room.

“Hey Joss.” He greeted, snapping Mikey's head in his direction from the wall where there were different sorts of paraphernalia hanging. “You must be Mikey.” He stuck out his hand for the kid to shake, making Mikey feel rather important.

“Hi.” Mikey said, wide-eyed.

“Mikey, this is my friend Sidney.” Jocelyn introduced.

“I know who it is, Auntie Jo.” Mikey said, trying to play it cool.

“First game, Mike?” Sidney asked, to which the little boy nodded.

“Yeah, I seen some on TV, but this is my first game in real life.” The six-year-old explained.

“Well hopefully we kick some butt, right?” He asked, making Mikey nod again. “We’ll see you after the game, have fun!” Sidney grinned, ruffling the kid’s hair.

“Thank you.” Jocelyn mouthed to the captain who was more than happy to come say hello. “I could go for a hot dog or something, how about you?” Jocelyn asked.

“Yeah.” Mikey nodded, still excited from meeting the Sidney Crosby, pumped as ever to watch the game. Walking up to the main concourse, the arena was filling with fans as the game neared. Soon, the guys would be heading out for warm ups.

They stopped for a face painting, something that Jocelyn had always wanted to do, and now that she had Mikey, no one could judge her for getting the Penguins logo painted and dusted with glitter onto her cheek. Mikey got two crossed hockey sticks and they forged on to the concession stand, each grabbing a hot dog and box of popcorn to split. She knew there would be food in the suite they’d be sitting in that night, but she always felt awkward for taking it.

“Whoa.” Mikey looked around the box that was still pretty empty as it was early in the night. They snagged two great seats right in the front row, giggling as they tried tossing little pieces of popcorn into one another’s mouths.

The suite slowly began to see new people, some that Jocelyn knew and some that she had never seen before. For the most part, she and Mikey kept to themselves.

“Hi Joss.” Bailey Crosby took the seat behind Mikey so she was within eyeshot of the brunette.

“Hi Bailey.” Jocelyn said politely. “This is my nephew, Mikey. Mike, this is Sidney’s wife, Bailey.” She introduced.

“Hi.” Mikey greeted. Bailey thought the resemblance to the little boy was striking, the same dark hair, dark brows and big eyes as his aunt. He was darling. Truth be told, Bailey really wanted to speak to Jocelyn privately. She felt like an awful friend for what she had put the brunette through the other weekend - dragging her out of her house, dolling her up, and making her come out only to be disappointed by her discovery with Kris. She felt like she should have told her about the defenseman, and never even followed up on what happened when she and Beau left the bar that evening.

Jocelyn was determined to keep that night about her nephew and not her own life within the Penguins organization. She would be lying if she said she didn’t feel a little awkward around the captain’s wife, but tonight was not the time to deal with that. She wanted Mikey to have a good time.

“Look.” He mumbled, watching as number 87 flew up and down the ice. Five minutes into the first period and the Penguins were up 1-0, thanks to a breakaway goal by none other than the Penguins’ resident Russian, Evgeni Malkin.

“They’re so fast.” Mikey said, eyes glued to the game going on below. After the second period, the Penguins were up 4-1 over the Jets and they took a stroll around the concourse, splitting a bag of cotton candy. Even with the fanfare, she knew they’d need to get something real to eat after the game.

Beau had notched two assists that evening and by the end of the game, he had tallied a goal as well. She wanted to see him, it had been almost a week since they had really gotten to talk. Following their evening sharing cookie sandwiches, she and made herself fairly scarce around the office, too embarrassed to look Kris in the eye and not wanting to run into Bailey, either. She had delved into her work full-force and it was paying off. Jim had commended her for all of her hard work and it was great to be recognized.

Though, she found herself greatly missing Beau’s company.

When the game ended with a resounding 6-2 Penguins victory, the two head down to the main concourse again, fighting the crowds at the team retail store.

They left with an official puck and a new hat, something that Mikey was absolutely thrilled about. Killing time in the store was just what Jocelyn needed, by the time they reached the lower concourse, they players were just starting to leave the locker room.

“Hi Sid!” Mikey said, a little jacked on sugar and adrenaline as he spotted the Captain.

“Mikey! Did you like the game?” Sidney asked, walking straight over to the little kid who was donning a new hat.

“It was awesome! You were awesome!” He said excitedly. “Will you sign my puck?” He asked.

“Yeah, of course.” Sid kneeled down to the kid’s level, aware of Jocelyn snapping photos as he signed the puck before insisting on posing for one.

“Thanks so much, Sid.” Jocelyn was so happy for Mikey who now had a priceless momento of his first NHL game.

“You know I’m happy to do it, Joss, you’re part of the family.” He insisted, making her flush. “Beau’s on his way out.” He added quietly, making her nod.

Beau was usually out before Sidney, but because the blonde had such a great, three-point night, he was taking a bit longer. However, when he did appear in the lounge, his eyes cut right to the gorgeous brunette and her nephew.

“Yo Mikey!” He greeted loudly. The little kid’s eyes tore away from his puck up to the towering blonde with a big smile.

“Hello.” Mikey greeted in return.

“I’m your aunt’s friend, Beau.” He stuck out his hand to shake it.

“Hi, you’re really good at hockey.” Mikey replied, making Beau and Jocelyn laugh.

“Thanks man!” Beau grinned, “brought you something.” He said, procuring the puck from his goal that night, signed on the back and wrapped around the edge in tape with the date. Mikey was speechless as he looked the present over.

“You’re so sweet, Beau.” Jocelyn blushed, “what do you say, Mike?” She asked.

“Thank you.” Mikey said, still in awe.

“We’re going to grab a burger, are you hungry? Or, i guess i should ask if you’re busy…” She said, placing a hand on her nephew’s shoulder.

“Not busy, and starving.” He insisted.

- - -

When they rolled up to the same American restaurant that she and Beau had been to before, he watched as she held Mikey’s hand from their car to the door. He was glad to be able get to the door of the restaurant in time to hold it open for them.

“Man I am hungry, are you guys hungry?” Beau asked as they sat down at their table. He and Mikey compared menu items, deciding if they wanted big burgers or something else.

“We had such a great time at the game tonight.” Jocelyn ran a hand through Mikey’s hair, brushing it over to once side.

“When did you start playing hockey?” Mikey asked.

“When I was really little,” Beau replied, “I started skating when I was three and playing hockey when I was four.’ He explained. “Do you play sports?” He asked.

“I play baseball like my Daddy, but I want to play hockey.” He replied, which was news to Jocelyn.

“Oh yeah, I played baseball when I was your age, too.” He agreed. “What position do you play?” he asked.

“Short stop, that’s what my Dad was.” He added, “but next year, i get to play real baseball, not tee-ball, so it’s going to be pretty serious.” He added, making his Aunt and her friend smile.

Thankfully it wasn’t long until they were tucking into their dinner. Jocelyn was mostly just excited that Mikey was still awake, going on ten o’clock. She’d deal with Amanda’s wrath if Mikey ratted on her and the extended bedtime.

“Mike is that a new shirt?” Beau asked as the kid tucked into his burger.

“Yeah, Auntie Jo got it for me for the game.” He said looking down at his little black hoodie with the original Pens logo on the front.

“We’ll have to get you a jersey for your next game, yeah?” Beau asked, giving the little boy big, owl eyes for the umpteenth time that night. He nodded, nibbling on a french fry. Jocelyn was relieved that Beau was so great with Mikey. Most guys her age had no idea what to say to anyone under the age of sixteen.

Beau happily watched the two McDermotts interact as they ate their late-night dinner. Mikey went on about some of his kindergarten pals and how jealous they’re going to be when they saw his pucks and photo with Sidney Crosby.

“You got a photo with Sidney Crosby?” Beau asked, jaw dropped, “I can’t even get a photo with Sidney Crosby.” He insisted, making Mikey laugh. Soon enough, Beau was fighting Jocelyn for the bill - he won - and they were making their way back to the parking lot, the two cars on opposite sides of the lot.

He watched her strap a half-conscious Mike into his booster seat before quietly closing the door. Beau stood quite close to her as she leaned against the driver’s side door.

“Thanks for everything tonight, the puck, dinner, the pictures, he’s going to be talking about this for weeks.” She insisted.

“Happy to do it.” He insisted, getting even closer to her. “I like spending time with you, and he’s cooler than both of us.” He added, making her laugh.

“Look, my sister is having brunch on Sunday at her place and she wants me to bring someone from work so she can get a feel for the people I work with. I know you have Saturday and Monday games, but maybe, if you aren’t too tired - “

“I’m never tired and I love brunch.” He insisted, making her smile again. “Let me know when and where and I’ll be there.”

Beau kissed her on her cheek after saying goodbye and watched as she got in, buckled and drove away.

When Joss arrived at her apartment that night, she carried Mikey up to the apartment, helping him into his pajamas and the little camping mattress on the floor in the family room where he was snug as a bug in all of his blankets and pillows.

Geno was happy to curl up at the boy’s feet and fall asleep.

Jocelyn quickly removed her makeup, changed out of her jeans and sweater, and looked down at her bed affectionately.

With a thousand thoughts running through her mind that night, she kept coming back to one lingering idea.

What would have happened if Beau kissed her lips instead?
♠ ♠ ♠
hi everyone! i can't tell you how sorry i am for the delay! i am not at all pleased with this chapter - length or content - but about a week ago, the unthinkable happened. my hard drive crashed. i lost ALL of my content - literally EVERYTHING, including the original 4,000 word text for this chapter. i now have a new hard drive and i'm using Pages instead of Word *not happy* but i'm back to writing!
thank you all for being so patient, i can't tell you how much i appreciate it!
big things happening in the next chapter! ;)
love to hear your predictions!
xoxo