Lonely No More

sister

Beau felt at home on Jocelyn’s couch as she got ready for brunch. She was a little behind schedule that morning and he insisted on picking her up and driving with her out of town for brunch at her sister’s.

“I’m almost ready, I swear!” She called from her bedroom, making him grin.

“Take your time, we’re just hanging out.” He called back, petting Geno on his lap as the tabby purred nearly incessantly as he rubbed his head against Beau’s knuckles. Emerging from her hallway, she was dressed in a pair of fitted jeans and a grey v-neck sweater that looked soft to the touch along with a plum-colored scarf. Her hair, as usual, was up in a bun near the crown of her head as she donned her glasses. Her normal looking self, but a little more relaxed.

“Hi.” She blushed, “sorry, getting out of bed this morning was rough.” She said, stepping into a pair of white low-top converse.

“I know the feeling.” Beau grinned before burying his face into Geno’s fur. “He’s so soft!” He exclaimed, making Jocelyn laugh and Geno immediately wiggle away from the blonde. Standing at his full height, Jocelyn discreetly eyed him up in his navy blue button down as he brushed down his shirt from Geno’s fur. Beau donned a pair of dark jeans and white Hanes socks that looked like they were right out of the package. She wondered if he did laundry.

“Hi.” He was proud to catch her checking him out.

“Ready to go?” She asked, dropping her cross body purse over one shoulder.

“You love Kate Spade.” He pointed out, catching the familiar logo on the little teal bag.

“What makes you say that?” She asked.

“Well your drink cup at work, and your frame, and your paperweight are all Kate Spade,” he listed, “and that bag.” He added. “And I bet if you let me poke around your room, I’d find more.” He grinned, pretending to search past her over her shoulder.

“Come on.” She grinned, giving him a playful push toward the door, flattered that he was that observant about her personal objects.

“No need to get physical, Ms. McDermott!” He teased, holding his hands up in surrender. Following Beau down to the street, she smiled as he held the door open to his flashy Mercedes. He had obviously cleaned his car out since the last time he had driven her in it, this time it was clean of empty water bottles, a spare stick and a gym bag in the backseat. Beau didn’t even try to pretend he wasn’t checking out that pert ass in her jeans as she stepped down into the car.

“What do you think is for brunch?” He asked, pulling away from the curb as the in-car navigation led them out of the city toward Mikey and Amanda’s house.

“I know exactly what’s on the menu,” she said, “Amanda made baked stuffed French toast, bacon, breakfast potatoes with onions, fruit salad and cinnamon rolls.” She listed off.

“Holy shit, really?” Beau asked, excited. “Is your sister a chef?” He asked.

“No.” She laughed, “brunch was the meal that we always made a point of having together growing up. She thinks it’s the only thing she can actually cook.” Jocelyn laughed. “But she is a really good cook, so you should be excited.”

“I am excited.” He grinned, thinking it would be too easy to slide his hand right into hers. “So when was the last time you talked to Bailey?” He asked. The Crosby matriarch hadn’t heard from Jocelyn in a few weeks and she was worried their friendship was deteriorating.

“Um a while I guess.” Jocelyn shrugged, crossing her legs and tucking her phone under her thigh. “I don’t know, I think she and I are just too different.” She said, biting her bottom lip. “She likes to go out and party and is this big, constant energy source and for me – it’s a little exhausting. We have fun two different ways. I don’t need to go out and drink and dance and cause a big scene to have fun.” She explained.

“She thinks you’re mad at her.” He said. She liked watching him drive. His arms looked nice in his shirt and he looked so focused on the road.

“I’m not mad at her.” Jocelyn shook her head. “I was annoyed with her earlier, but I’m over it.” She shrugged again.

“Were you annoyed with me?” He asked, glancing to his right.

“I’m never annoyed with you, Beau.” She smiled. They rode in comfortable silence for a few minutes as she closed her eyes contently, enjoying the music on the radio and the soft hum of the car on the highway.

“My little sister is coming into town next weekend.” Beau commented. “She’s on break from school.” He added.

“That’ll be fun, you guys are close, right?” She asked.

“Yeah, she’s a little brat, but I love her.” He commented, making her laugh.

“I know the feeling.” She replied.

“I was hoping maybe you’d sit with her at the game on Saturday? I don’t want her wandering around alone at the arena. She’d find some way to get into trouble.” He finished.

“Yeah, that should be fine.” She agreed. “It’s an early game, right?” She asked.

“A one o’clock.” He nodded.

“I can make that work.” She said, taking out her phone to set a little reminder. She often needed to be reminded of engagements, or she’d spend all day at home watching Netflix with Geno.

It wasn’t too long until hey arrived at the home of Amanda and Mikey McDermott. Mikey greeted them at the door and brought Beau into the kitchen where Amanda was pulling things out of the oven left and right.

“Mom! This is Beau, he plays hockey.” Mikey introduced.

“Hi, I’m here, too, squirt.” Jocelyn said, ruffling her nephew’s hair.

“Yeah, Auntie Jo is here, too.” He jammed his thumb in Jocelyn’s direction, making Beau laugh.

“Beau Bennett.” He shook Amanda’s hand.

“Nice to meet you, Beau, I’ve heard so much about you!” Amanda smiled. Beau wondered if that all was from Mikey, or if maybe Jocelyn ever talked about him to her sister.

Amanda and Jocelyn looked strikingly similar, same eyes, same hair and same smile. Amanda seemed as if she was little more outgoing than her little sister.

“Beau, come look at the knee nets my mom got me.” Mikey tugged on Beau’s shirt to get his attention.

“Amanda, do you need any help?” Beau asked first, not wanting to be rude.

“No, you guys have fun, I’m going to have that one set the table.” Amanda motioned to her sister who was helping herself to a mimosa. Beau looked over to Jocelyn and gave her a devastating smile before letting Mikey pull him down the hallway to the play room.

“Ho-ly shit.” Amanda said as soon as Beau was out of earshot.

“Amanda.” Jocelyn blushed.

“You see the thighs on that one? He’s as tall as a tree! And that hair!” She listed off, making Jocelyn’s ears burn red.

“Beau’s great.” Jocelyn smiled.

“And we’re not dating Beau because… Beau’s gay?” She suggested, earning a flat glare from her sister. “He’s got a gambling problem? He collects porcelain dolls?” She asked.

“None of the above.” She replied. “I don’t know… Beau’s… Beau’s great but we’re really different.” She shrugged. She used to think they were too different, like she and Bailey Crosby, but the more time she spent with him, the more she wondered if he really was too different.

- - -

“Oh my God, he’s so cute.” Brianna Bennett squealed as she stood by with Jocelyn while players filed out from the locker room to the tunnel, ready to take to the ice. Brianna Bennett a sweet girl, but definitely fifteen years old. A little boy crazy, she did most of the talking while Jocelyn listened. She didn’t mind that the brunette was a little on the quiet side, it let her get more in to their conversations.

“Do you want anything to eat?” Jocelyn asked as they walked up to the escalators that would take them to the box.

“I need a hot dog and a diet coke.” She insisted, grabbing her little coach wallet out of her Michael Kors purse – a present from Beau no doubt. After half an hour together, Brianna adored Jocelyn. She was cute, shorter than her, and was very confident in her personality – which was on the other end of the spectrum from Brianna’s. They balanced each other out well.

“I got this, present from Beau.” Jocelyn said, taking out some cash from her pocket.

“Ugh, Joss, you are the best.” Brianna said, linking their arms together as they carried their treats up to the box. They often ordered food to the suite for the kids and families, but for now, a hot dog actually sounded pretty good – and Beau was buying.

Walking into the box, they snagged two seats near the front, chowing down on their hot dogs and taking sips of their pop.

Bailey Crosby walked in, Sadie in tow and a phone pressed to her ear. Bailey and Jocelyn exchanged looks, strained smiles before Bailey took a seat on the other section of seats, a few rows up.

“What’s that about?” Brianna asked. One thing a fifteen-year-old girl never missed, was drama between women.

“What’s what?” Jocelyn asked, hoping to avoid the conversation all together.

“You and Bailey Crosby?” She asked, “come on, I see it.” She insisted.

“It’s nothing, really.” Jocelyn assured, not wanting to make a mountain of a molehill.

“You want me to glare at her?” She asked, tossing her hair over her shoulder.

“Lord, no.” She shook her head, realizing just how dramatic the fifteen year old was.

“Cause I will if you want me to.” She assured.

“I promise.” Jocelyn said with finality.

Brianna really liked Jocelyn, she was cute, smart, and wasn’t trashy. She dressed well, didn’t show lots of skin, obviously went to college - and though Brianna hadn’t figured out her relationship to her brother, she’d like them to get together.

“That’s my boy!” Brianna screamed excitedly at the end of the first period when her brother notched the first Penguins goal of the game. Jocelyn like Brianna, she was loud, firm in her convictions and calculated. She didn’t say anything she didn’t believe in.

“I need like three more hot dogs, dear Lord am I hungry.” She said, scanning the newly arrived spread on the tables in the back of the suite.

“I’ll fix you a plate.” Jocelyn said, she walked back to the counter, putting together a big plate they could share.

“Hey Joss.” She looked to her right to see Bailey Crosby eyeing her carefully and grabbing a plate of her own.

“Hi Bailey.” She smiled warmly.

“I haven’t seen you in forever, how are you?” Bailey asked.

“Good, busy, but good. Beau’s sister is in town, so spending some time with her when he’s busy.” She added.

“Maybe we can get coffee next week?” Bailey extended an olive branch.

“Yes, that would be nice.” Jocelyn smiled. Bailey took her plate, squeezing Joss’ shoulder before returning to her seat.

Though Jocelyn and Brianna were very different women, Jocelyn enjoyed her company and the game went by quickly with her new friend. They met Beau after the game, hugs being exchanged all around, which made Jocelyn roll her eyes – as if she didn’t see Beau all the time.

“You two have fun?” Beau asked after Brianna had tucked herself into his car, waiting to go home for the night.

“Yeah, she’s awesome.” Jocelyn nodded.

“Thanks for spending time with her, I’d be a little nervous for the general public if she was running around unsupervised.” He grinned.

“No, we had a good time.” She grinned in reply. How he managed to smell so good after a game was a mystery to her.

“See you tomorrow?” He asked, knowing she’d be at the arena when they came in for skate. That night, they’d be leaving for Detroit.

“See you tomorrow.” She nodded. He leaned in, kissing her cheek the same way he did at her apartment the previous week.

And once again, she found herself wondering what it would be like to actually kiss Beau.
♠ ♠ ♠
hello everyone! i know that it has been seriously SO long since i've been on mibba. for those of you who reached out and sent me sweet messages, or checked in, thank you so much. i do try to keep my personal and public life separate, but i have been dealing with a plethora of extremely difficult issues in the past few months that have taken me away from writing completely. i love writing and interacting with all of you, so the added loss of being way form the mibba community as been tough as well.

with that being said, i am transitioning back into writing again as i gain some of my personal time back and hope to be updating regularly very soon - including wrapping up my Crosby story!

if you are still interested in this story, please leave a comment - it would mean the world to me. i plan for things to finally pick up with these two in the next chapter! let me know of your hopes and dreams for Joss & Beau!

xo xo