Lonely No More

shop

Jocelyn wiped at her eyes, rolling out of bed with a yawn and fixing her sleep top. She had a lot of errands to run that day and wanted to get them done as soon as possible. The Penguins were away for three days, playing Vancouver on the other side of the continent.

Hopping in the shower, Joss wasted to time, braiding her still-wet hair down the front of her shoulder and pulling on a pair of fleece-lined yoga pants and a blue Slippery Rock sweatshirt, a far cry from her usual dressy outfits.

Geno almost tempted her into getting back into bed where she knew it was warm and cozy, but she had to get things done over the weekend when she had the time. With the season heating up, she was spending more and more time at the arena and she had neglected grocery shopping, cleaning and picking up cool-weather clothes.

Halfway through her morning Chobani, her cell phone started ringing.

“Hello?” she answered, not bothering to check the caller ID.

“Josie.” She knew right away it was Beau.

“Hi Beau, shouldn’t you be on a plane?” She asked, knowing the Penguins were meant to take off at nine that morning.

“I’m staying back. I’m sick and they don’t want me getting worse or infecting anyone else.” She could hear the pout in his voice. “I really don’t feel that bad.” He insisted, sounding like a little kid missing out on a field-trip.

“Sorry! That sucks.” She replied.

“What are you doing today?” He asked.

“I’m about to go to the grocery store, the mall, and I’m going to get something to eat, then I’m going to clean my apartment.” She listed off.

“Can I come with?” He asked.

“Not if you’re sick!” She laughed.

“I’m not sick!” He replied, sounding even whinier.

“You should be in bed, resting and drinking fluids.” She added.

“I’m coming with.” He said, “you can’t stop me. I need groceries, too.” He said with finality. “I’ll chauffer.” He ended the call. Jocelyn smiled softly with a shake of her head. She thought quickly about changing into something a little more appropriate, but these clothes would be easy to switch in and out of when trying on things at the mall.

Twenty minutes later, she was getting into Beau’s car as he greeted her with a smile.

“Morning.”

“Morning, sicky.” She replied.

“Yoga pants and a sweatshirt.” He eyed her up, “that’s different.”

“If I don’t have to go to work today, I’m being comfy.” She explained, tucking her purse on the floor of the car between her feet.

Shopping with Beau proved to be interesting enough. He dragged her through all sorts of stores, Brookstone to test each massage chair, Footlocker to check out some new Nikes, and the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, to grab three heaping pieces of white chocolate Oreo bark.

“Come on, we’re getting you some tea.” She insisted, spotting a Starbucks across the main floor. “If you’re insisting on spending the day with me, I’m going to do what I can to keep you from getting worse.” She added, looping her arm through his and walking over to the coffee shop.

With a giant green tea in one hand and his bag of shoes and chocolate in the other, Beau dutifully followed Josie into Banana Republic. He wandered around as she selected three blouses in three different colors, a wool trench coat and a pair of charcoal pants before bringing them straight to the register.

“That was fast.” He commented, “It takes Brianna like 45 minutes to decide she likes a shirt.” He added.

“I buy a lot of stuff from here, so I know what size to get. I research what’s in stores so I know what to expect – and I hate trying things on in dressing rooms.” She laughed, “I’d rather try it on at home and have to come back to return it.” She finished. “I don’t know what it is, but it makes me super uncomfortable.”

“Where to next, boss?” He asked, taking her shopping bag in his hand, adding on to his load. “Bath and Body Works for some lotions? Kate Spade?” He asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

“You out those eyebrows away, Mister.” She laughed, “I don’t buy lotion from there, and I don’t casually shop at Kate Spade – do you know how expensive that stuff is? Even when there’s a sale, I don’t look unless it’s more than 40 percent off.” She explained, making him roll his eyes.

“Live a little, kid.” He insisted finishing off his green tea and dropping the empty cup into a trash bin before slipping his hand down into hers.

“What are you doing, Beau?” She laughed, nervously fidgeting with her tote over her shoulder.

“Keeping my hand warm.” He grinned, looking straight ahead and giving her hand a squeeze.

“Come on, grocery time.” She replied. Beau was content to walk alongside Josie, their fingers intertwined as they walked back to his car. After placing their purchases in the trunk of the Mercedes, he opened up the passenger door for her.

Watching Beau grocery shop was an experience. They sectioned off their shared cart into two sides. Beau’s was filled with boxes of pasta, packages of chicken, juice, frozen meatballs, cartons of yogurt and five types of olive oil. She wondered what he fed himself for meals after seeing the different things he loaded down his cart with. He grinned at the way she confidently placed a box of Oreos and two pints of cookie dough ice cream in her cart.

“Can you reach that?” She asked, pointing to a can of tomato sauce on the top shelf, which was very much out of her reach.

“I can manage.” He placed a hand on her hip, his body close up against hers as he grabbed the can. He set the can down in her side of the car and watched as she slowly went over her little list. Raspberries, ground beef, spinach leaves, Chobani yogurt, wavy potato chips and a case of clementines.

Near the end of the baking aisle, Jocelyn looked over to Beau to see his face a little tired, his eyes a little droopy.

“Alright, you need to take a nap.” She sighed, glad for the two cans of chicken soup she placed in her cart. “Come on, back to my place.” She finished. Beau didn’t argue as they made their way back to the front of the store.

Getting all of their bags up to the apartment in one trip was a feat in itself. She stored all of Beau’s perishables in her fridge and freezer in their shopping bags before making him take off his shoes and settling him on the couch with a blanket, Geno, and a glass of water with a raspberry emergen-C.

“Let me help with the –”

“Don’t get off that couch, Beau-tie!” She called back, making him roll his eyes but grin nonetheless. She was rather pleased with herself for the new nickname.

“I’m not even sick!” He called back.

“I don’t care! Stay on that couch and drink your medicine!” She replied.

“It tastes bad.” He whined.

“It better al be gone when I get in there.” She grinned, feeling a bit like his mother. It was barely even a full glass of water to begin with. Beau mumbled to himself, pinching his nose and downing the 12 ounces in a single pull. His face scrunched in distaste, thankful for the saltines she had set out to rid his mouth of the taste.

When the kitchen had been cleaned and all the dishes put away, Jocelyn made her way out to the family room.

“Sit.” He patted the space beside him. Jocelyn blushed softly as she took up the open space on her couch – which was just big enough to fit her, Beau and Geno, who stretched contently across she and Beau’s laps. Beau tossed his arm around her shoulders, letting her lean into his side as he spread his blanket across the both of them.

With an early morning under their belts, it was a matter of minutes before they were both fast asleep.

- - -

It was nine o’clock at night when Beau finally roused, his eyes heavy and a warm, comforting weight against his side. He smiled as he looked down at Josie who was snuggled tightly under his arm, her feet tucked beneath her as she slept soundly.

Beau’s stomach rumbled seeing as he hadn’t eaten since early that morning. He wandered into the kitchen, feeling the effects of his head cold a little more strongly now. He found his box of NyQuil, popping two of the gel capsules before demolishing a box of blueberries and a handful of raw almonds.

He walked back out to the family room to find Jocelyn rubbing at her eyes.

“Morning.” He mumbled, making her smile.

“What time is it?” She asked.

“It’s nine. We slept for seven hours.” He pointed out. “We haven’t even done anything strenuous today.” He added. “How did we sleep that long?”

“Seven hours? Oh my God, I could go back to bed right now and not have a single problem falling asleep.” She said, pulling herself off the couch, giving Geno a chance to snuggle down into her previous spot, happy to be in her warmth.

“Same.” Beau agreed. “My head is pretty stuffed up.” He frowned.

It was then that Jocelyn noticed what an imposing figure Beau was in her little home. He stood just a little too tall, his shoulders just a little too wide. In all honestly, she kind of liked it.

“Want to stay?” She never thought she’d be saying those words – never to Beau and certainly never about staying at her apartment.

Beau nodded, worried he wouldn’t be able to verbalize a better response.

“I’m going to change into PJ’s… I don’t have anything for you.” She blushed for the umpteenth time that day.

“I don’t need ‘em.” He replied, tossing another almond in his mouth.

Joceyln grabbed two cold water bottles from the fridge before making her way back to her bedroom, Beau on her tail. She pulled out a green pair of sleep shorts and a black t-shirt before disappearing into her bathroom.

Beau stripped down to his Calvin Klein briefs, making himself at home in her full bed – much smaller than his king-sized mattress back at his apartment. He couldn’t believe how comfortable and plush her bed was. He took off his watch, setting it on the night stand on his side of the bed alongside his cell phone, an alarm set for nine the next morning when he would call in to check up with the team doctor.

When Bailey returned from her bathroom, she gulped upon seeing shirtless Beau under her white and navy-striped comforter. While she figured he might stay in bed with her, she was surprised to actually see it.

“This okay?” He asked, curling an arm behind his head and trying his hardest to suppress a grin.

She nodded sleepily, wrapping her hair up in a bun on top of her head and pulling back the blankets on her side of the bed. She had never needed to declare a side for herself before. She hid her face immediately when she noticed Beau’s attire, and wondered if she should have been wearing more to bed that evening.

“Get in here.” He encouraged, pulling her body flush to his.

“I should have checked you for a fever.” She said, needing to say something. She couldn’t believe what was going on – with Beau in her bed – coworker!

“I’m fine.” He insisted, but was confident he was going to wake up in worse shape than he was in that night.

“If I get sick because of you…” She trailed.

“You can blame it on me.” He offered, knowing full well she would not be up to discuss what was currently happening with anyone at work.

“Go to sleep, Bennett.” She sighed, letting her heavy eyelids close.

Beau grinned, his eyes closing as well – drawing Jocelyn even closer into his chest. This would do quite well.
♠ ♠ ♠
a quick update, the next one will be longer.
slowly getting more time back to write as well as motivation.
a BIG GIANT HUGE thank you to all that commented on the last chapter - i can't tell you how much it meant to me. you are all too kind. thank you for being so understanding and supportive.
more developments in the next chapter!
have a great weekend!
xo