Status: one shot

Four in the Morning

1/1

Alex rolled over and groaned. He had been feeling a bit run down the past few days but never expected to get anything more than a little cold. He now knew that things weren't going to work like that. He pulled the duvet tighter around him and curled in on himself. His stomach was causing him so much pain, his chest felt tight, his throat felt like he had swallowed nails, he was uncomfortably stuffed and congested, and there was no denying his sky high fever. The worst of it all was that he was alone. He blindly felt around the bedside table for his phone before he partially opened one eye and dialed his boyfriend's number.

"What the fuck, Alex? It's like 4:17 in the morning. Why are you calling me right now?" Zack grumbled, obviously unhappy about being woken up from his peaceful slumber.

"S-ssorry. I know. But is there anyway you could come over. I feel awful and really don't wanna be alone. You don't have to though." he whined.

Zack sighed, suddenly more awake than before because Alex is never sick so when he is he goes down hard. "What's wrong, Lex?"

"I just feel really sick and achy and feverish and don't wanna be alone.." Zack could practically hear his boyfriend pouting.

"Alright, Lex. I'll be there in like 20."

"Thank you. I love you." Alex yawned, utterly exhausted.

"I love you too, baby. Try and get some rest and I'll see you soon." and with that, Zack was hanging up, throwing on some sweatpants and a hoodie, and heading to the nearest 24 hour pharmacy. He grabbed some Nyquil, Dayquil, Pepto, Motrin, Halls, Gatorade, chicken noodle soup, and a thermometer and checked out. He quickly made the drive to Alex's house and he let himself in. He walked up the stairs and and into Alex's room.

"Hey, Lex. How ya doing?" he asked softly, sitting on the edge of the bed. He brushed the stray hair out of Alex's face and felt his forehead to find it burning to the touch. He frowned. He pulled the thermometer out of the bag, removing the packaging, and sticking it under Alex's tongue. He waited impatiently for it to beep as the number continued to climb. Once it finally beeped, the number was pushing 104. Alex tended to run stupidly high fevers whenever he had even the slightest cold so it was no surprise when it came to the reading on the thermometer. Zack pulled the bottle of Motrin out and measured out the correct dose. He handed the little cup to Alex who took it with a quiet thanks. Zack handed him a bottle of Gatorade next.

"So what's wrong, Lex?"

"My throat feels like i swallowed nails, my body aches, my chest feels tight, I'm so stuffed up and congested, and my tummy hurts and feels gross."

"Poor baby. I've got some more medicine if you want it." Zack offered. Alex nodded. Zack pulled out the Pepto, Nyquil, and a bag of honey flavored Halls. He measured out the Pepto and Nyquil and handed them to Alex before handing him a cough candy.

"Get some more sleep, babe. It's only 5 am."

"Cuddle with me?"

"Of course."

"I love you, Zee"

"I love you too, Lex" Zack climbed under the covers and pulled Alex into his side and Alex shoved his face into the crook of Zack's neck and tried to leach away his body heat.

"Jesus christ, Lex. You're burning up." he sighed. Alex mumbled something incoherently before falling asleep.

Alex found it so much easier in Zack's arms. He felt safe, warm, and loved. Nothing could beat that feeling. Cuddling with Zack was like cuddling a giant teddy bear and he always smelled so good no matter what. Their bodies just fit so perfectly together and it all just works. It's such a wonderful feeling Alex thinks. Then he's woken up as a painful, chesty cough rips through his chest. Zack sits up and pulls Alex up with him. Alex coughs again, harshly and wetly into his elbow. Zack rubbed his boyfriend's back in an attempt to help him out. Alex coughed hard again and motioned to the small waste basket across the room and Zack hurried to bring it over, setting it in his lap. Alex spit into it and Zack grimaced. Alex coughed again, so hard he gagged. He quickly moved his head over the waste basket but relaxed again after a moment. He wiped at his eyes which had teared up from the lack of oxygen. He leaned back into Zack's touch and Zack tenderly rubbed his arm around a hug.

"My god, Lex. That's terrible." Alex just shrugged, glad he could at least somewhat breathe again. He was so tired. He sniffed and wiped his nose on his hoodie sleeve.

"Ew, Lex. Don't wipe it on your sleeve. Do you want me to get you some tissue, Love?"

"If you wouldn't mind, then that'd be wonderful."

"Don't be silly; of course I don't mind." Zack kissed his forehead before offering a sympathetic smile and disappearing and reappearing a moment later with a box of tissues. He handed them to Alex who greatfully took them and noisily blew his nose.

"Yuck. That was gross." he grimaced as he threw the abused tissues into the waste basket. Zack chuckled a bit.

"You're gross, you little germ ball." Zack poked. Alex just pouted at him in mock hurt. Zack tilted his head down and placed a small kiss on the end of his nose and Alex smiled up at him. Alex's hair was a mess and poking out in every direction that it possibly could and Zack thought it was adorable. Alex tends to be very open about his emotions and is a pretty vulnerable person in general and it just got worse when he was under the weather. Zack didn't mind though. He liked feeling needed and wanted. Alex always made him feel like that, but come on, who just doesn't love extra cuddles? One thing for sure is that Zack is going to cuddle with Alex every chance he gets. He did wish that Alex wasn't so ill though. The poor singer looked utterly miserable. His skin was washed out and pale, he had dark circles under his eyes that were duller than usual, his cheeks were rosy, and he was coated in a light sheen of perspiration, and he shivered lightly. Zack hadn't even realized that Alex had fallen back asleep until he began to stir and whimper. Zack watched Alex in his fitful slumber for a minute longer before deciding he should try to wake him.

"Lex? Alex, wake up." he felt Alex's grip tighten around him.

"You alright, Love?" Zack asked and frowned when Alex shook his head no.

"What's wrong, babe?"

"You were gone. You left me and you weren't coming back and you didn't want me anymore and it was so real, Zee.

"I promise you I'm never ever going anywhere. I love you so so much, Lex."

"I love you too, Zee." Alex wiped the tears away from eyes and off of his cheeks... and his forehead? Seriously, how does that even happen? Zack felt his forehead and sighed. Alex's fever didn't feel like it had gone down at all. He grabbed the thermometer off of the bedside table and stuck it under Alex's tongue. When it beeped the reading said that Alex's fever had not gone down at all, but had in fact risen .2 degrees and was sitting at exactly 104. Zack measured out the correct dose of Motrin and handed it to the ill boy in his lap.

"Do you want anything else? Maybe some dayquil? How's your belly feeling? Do you need some more Pepto?" Zack went on in a worried ramble.

"Ehh. I feel a little nauseous. So maybe some more Pepto. Zack measured some of the pink goup out and pushed it towards Alex.

"Do you want to maybe try some soup?" Alex shrugged.

"Sure." Zack got up and carried Alex out to the couch and then set about heating Alex up some soup. About ten minutes later Zack walked out to the the living room carrying a bowl of soup and a small plate of saltines. Alex ate a few bites of the soup and a couple of saltines before he was shoving the food back towards Zack. He let a hand fall to his stomach and he swallowed audibly.

"You uh.. you alright, Alex?" Alex shook his head as his face paled. He pressed a hand to his mouth and jumped up, running for the bathroom. Zack got up and quickly followed Alex to find him on his knees in front of the toilet. He sat behind him and used one hand to rub his back and the other to pull his hair off of his face as he retched. Tears pricked at Alex's eyes as dry heaved over the toilet bowl. He grabbed some toilet paper and wiped his mouth and blew his nose before flushing the mess and leaning into Zack.

"Feel better now?" Alex shrugged

"Not really." he moaned

"You sure you're done?" Zack questioned because the last thing he wanted to do was clean up Alex sick.

"It's not like there is anything left anyways." Alex grumbled and yeah, he kind of had a point. So Zack picked him up and carried back to his bedroom giving him another half a dose of Pepto before climbing into bed himself. He pulled Alex into his side and tangled their limbs together. Alex pushed his head into the crook of Zack's neck and tried to snuggle into him more. Zack began to trace soothing circles into Alex's hip. Alex inhaled Zack's scent, suddenly feeling a bit better before falling asleep peacefully in his lovers arms, warm and cozy.
♠ ♠ ♠
So it's after 5 am. Me and Alex are the same except I'm cuddling a stuffed wolf instead of a Zack. Also, my tv is stuck on disney channel and it's a bit of a bummer.