Till Death Do Us Part

Chapter Ten

I spent a lot of my time in the piano room over the next few days. Nicolæ was spending more and more time in his father’s study. We still didn’t know where Liam was and I was forbidden to leave the grounds. While I understood the necessity, it did bother me a little.

Every now and again, my stomach will start to burn. Terran had made me plenty of medicine and I would sneak into my room to apply it. I didn’t want Nicolæ to know. He was still haunted by it just as much as I was, and he had enough on his plate.

About a week after Liam’s escape, Nicolæ poked his head in the piano room where I sat reading a book.

“Can you come to the study?” he asked and I nodded, saving the place in my book.

“Is everything ok?”

He held my hand as we walked down the hall. “I’m not sure. Father wouldn’t say.”

I merely nodded and we walked the rest of the way in a comfortable silence. Nicolæ knocked on Lucian’s door then opened it with his father’s permission. Lucian and Elisabeth were both standing by the fire, warming their hands. Though spring was coming, it got very drafty in the mansion.

“Ah, come in,” Lucian said with a grin.

“What’s going on?” Nicolæ asked.

“Well, we’ve been summoned up North again,” Lucian said. Nicolæ and I shared a nervous look. “Given certain circumstances, we thought it would be best for you two to come along with us.”

“Really?” I breathed. Ever since Lucian told me what had happened, part of me yearned to go see what remained.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Nicolæ asked, looking intently at his father. “We still don’t know where Liam is. What if he comes while we’re away? You know how much damage he can do.”

“We have that covered,” Elisabeth said. “Come on in!” she called and we turned our heads to the door.

Five men walked in. They wore identical black outfits that hung tightly to their skin. Their faces were hidden with long hoods and four of them had silver swords attached to their hips. The other sported a black bow and a quiver of arrows. It was impossible to tell who was who.

“Thank you for getting here so quickly,” Lucian said to the man with the bow who merely inclined his head. “Has Terran showed you where you will be staying?”

“That will not be necessary,” the archer said. His voice was very quiet. “We prefer our own positions.”

Lucian looked uncomfortable but nodded anyway. “We’ve described Liam and filled them in on everything. They will keep watch for us while we’re away.”

I didn’t feel too convinced. What were five men going to do in this large estate? How effective could they be against a foe who knew every working?

Nicolæ didn’t look convinced, either, yet he still nodded.

“How long will we be gone?” he asked, holding out his hand.

“A week at most,” Lucian answered as I accepted Nicolæ’s hand and stood. “Prepare for cold weather,” he added.

“Yes, sir,” Nicolæ nodded then led me to the door.

We passed the five men and I could feel a slight chill coming from them. They made the hair on my neck stand. Nicolæ rushed us out the door and down the hall, taking long strides as he did so. When we reached our room, he looked down both sides of the halls before locking the door firmly.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, startled at his behavior.

He pulled the curtains tight. “You don’t know who those men are?” I shook my head, biting my lip. He gestured for me to sit by the fireplace where a warm fire was blazing silently. “They’re assassins,” he explained, rubbing his neck as he always did when he was uncomfortable. “My parents had them in their employ before we had to flee South. Celfina, they feel nothing. They were trained to be nothing but shadows. They are very dangerous. I don’t like them,” he added in a bitter voice.

“Why not?”

“I don’t know. Everything about them just seems wrong to me.”

“But if they keep people safe, if they keep us safe, won’t it be worth it?”

“I suppose so,” he said slowly.

“Come on,” I said, pulling gently at his arm. “Let’s get some rest and pack in the morning.”

He kissed me deeply and I sighed in content. We changed and slid into bed. Nicolæ was still frowning and I cuddled close to him.

“It’s going to be ok,” I whispered in the dark as he wrapped his arms around me.

“That’s what we thought last time,” he muttered.

--

We woke early to pack. It took me a while to find the winter dresses, even longer to decide what to bring. Elisabeth brought me mittens, ear muffs, and a few thick winter hats. I was excited; finally I would be out of here and be somewhere new.

Again, Nicolæ didn’t share my enthusiasm. He barely spoke and didn’t eat breakfast. One of the five men was standing in the far corner and Nicolæ kept shooting him looks full of mistrust. I squeezed his hand under the table and he sighed, pushing his plate of food away. Lucian and Elisabeth, who were making final arrangements, missed it and soon we were being ushered out the door.

The coach waiting for us was definitely more comfortable than the one that brought me here so many nights ago. The benches were soft and it was much larger. I had never really seen velvet on any kind of furniture and I spent quite a few minutes, running my hand along it while our luggage was tied to the top and back of the coach.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, Lucian climbed in next to his wife and we set off. I watched through the small window as we passed through the woods, going in the opposite direction of the village. Beside me, Nicolæ had dug a book out of his rucksack and settled in. Lucian was pouring over a thick packet of paper, frowning every now and again. Elisabeth, who sat across from me, started pulling out yarn and needles.

“Do you know how to knit?” she asked, catching me staring as the needles clicked.

I blushed. “No. Mother never taught me.”

Elisabeth frowned. “There’s a lot your mother never did for you,” she said slowly.

I cleared my throat. Nicolæ was the only one who knew all of the details. Lucian and Elisabeth knew a few things, that was true, but I never went in to any more detail than Markus had.

“Can you teach me?” I asked, part out of genuine desire but also wanting to change the subject.

Elisabeth smiled and gestured to Nicolæ to switch places. She handed me two needles and a roll of yarn. I wasn’t sure what to do with the needles and Elisabeth began to speak.

As I began to learn the basics, I took a glance around the coach. A lump rose in my throat and I stopped, trying not to cry.

“What’s wrong?” Elisabeth whispered; neither of the men had noticed.

I looked back at her with a watery smile. “This must be what it feels like to have a normal family,” I whispered back and she smiled, giving me a quick hug, before returning to her project.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm really sorry it's been so long. Our internet decided to give out on us for a few days. But, I'm back and I'll be posting the next chapter tomorrow. :)