Till Death Do Us Part

Chapter Two

The first was a woman that looked around Angelina’s age with dark red hair pulled back in a ponytail with green eyes. She was staring at me and I had the feeling I was being sized up. Beside her stood a man that I assumed was her husband. His hair was short and shiny black with bright blue eyes. Unlike his wife, he was smiling at me. And beside him stood who must be my husband-to-be.

He was tall and pale. But that's all I could see before the man in front of me cleared his throat.

“We’re gathered on this blessed evening under the eye of our father, to join these two as they further their steps into love.”

I lost track of what he was saying, my mind wandering to my previous fears. Why was I here? Why was this so discreet? Why wasn’t anyone giving me an explanation? Being dragged out of my bed in the middle of the night and being shoved into a wedding dress, I figured I would be given an explanation. I started when I heard my name.

“Will you, Celfina, take Nicolæ, to be your husband?” I tried to answer but my mouth was dry. The woman to my left nodded curtly to her husband who cleared his throat again. “And will you, Nicolæ, take Celfina to be your wife?”

“I will.”

His voice was low and smooth but held no emotion. The man before me grinned and spread his arms wide.

“Let it be known, in this, our home, these two young people have joined together for their eternal love to continue for years to come.”

He smiled expectantly at me and the young man. For a second I wondered why until it hit me. There was an awkward silence and someone behind me gave a quiet cough. Nicolæ grabbed my elbow and turned me to him. He lifted my veil and gave me a peck on the lips and the people behind us started to clap.

“This calls for a feast!”

The people assembled turned as one and filed through a door on the other side of the hall that must lead to the dining area. I stayed where I was, staring down at the bouquet. I felt another hand on my arm and looked up at the woman.

“My name is Elizabeth,” she said. Her voice was quiet and gentle. “I know everything is confusing but you’ll understand.”

She followed her husband and the others into the room, leaving Nicolæ and I behind. I looked back at the flowers.

“Well,” my new husband muttered, “I’m going to eat.”

And just like that, he left.

I stared after him in disbelief. Seriously? He didn’t have anything else to say? Or even an explanation? Perhaps this was all a bad dream?

I pinched my arm and wasn’t surprised it hurt. A little disappointed, yes, but not surprised. With a heavy sigh, I pushed the door open.

The room was large and a complete contrast to the foyer. The floor was polished wood and the walls painted in white and gold marble. A large fireplace to the left provided most of the light and heat for the room and heavy curtains draped the black windows. Lightning flashed somewhere as I stepped all the way in. The walls held pictures of scenery save for the bit of wall above the fireplace: It was a portrait of Elizabeth and her husband.

The smell of food directed my gaze to the large dining table. I hurried over: apparently, everyone was waiting for me before I sat. The guests all seated and I made to do the same but Elizabeth caught my elbow before I did. I looked at her but her eyes were focused at the seat to her left, at the head of the table, where her husband stood.

“My friends, it’s with great pleasure that I invite you to enjoy this meal with my family,” he said, grinning broadly at everyone. We have evolved much since our baby steps and I’m immensely proud of my son for furthering our clan’s walk. I am also so pleased to welcome Celfina into our lives. She is a beauty and, personally, my son could not have picked a better wife.” He grinned at me. “Now, please, eat.”

He walked behind Elizabeth to help her sit and I felt my chair nudge me a little. I realized Nicolæ must be behind me and gathered my skirt tighter around my legs and sat. Elizabeth took my flowers and set them between my plate and Nicolæ’s who had seated himself across from me.

It was my first proper glance at him. He was as pale as his parents but had his father’s blue eyes. He looked like the ancient gods that adorned my village’s statues; perfect in beauty and still holding the air of power and importance. What startled me the most of everything, though, was his hair. Red like his mothers, there were white streaks. Even the roots were white. His hair was loose around his face but must reach his shoulders.

I shifted my gaze to the man at the head of the table.

“Excuse me,” I said quietly and he looked at me. “I don’t know your name.”

He smacked his hand to his head with a laugh. “How rude of me. I’m sorry, my dear. My name is Lucian.”

I shifted a little and looked to my right where the six other people ate in silence.

“And….” I wasn’t sure what to call them but Lucian spared me the need to.

“These are our most honored friends,” he said and gestured to each in turn. “The lovely woman beside you is Corinth, beside her is Joseph, and the last is Karolyn.” He then addressed the three on the other side of the table. “And here we have Markus, Michele, and Liam.”

As one, they inclined their heads and I smiled nervously.

“Aren’t you hungry?” Elizabeth asked and I shook my head no.

“You have to try our cook’s food!” Lucian took my plate and put a steak, mashed potatoes, and peas on it. He put it back down with yet another grin. I wondered if this man ever stopped smiling. “You’ll love it. Terran is the best.”

I cut my steak into small pieces and had a bite. Lucian was watching and I smiled politely. The steak really was, delicious. The rest of the meal was perfect, as well. The six guests were all muttering to themselves and sometimes Lucian would join in. Elizabeth was now smiling, too, and conversing with the guests. Nicolæ and I stayed quiet until the end of the meal.

“Well, I’m sure we all are very tired,” Lucian said finally. He stood and Nicolæ joined him. Elizabeth didn’t rise so I remained seated. “We will have proper festivities tomorrow afternoon. Good night, my friends.”

He smiled and shook hands with each guest as they left then Elizabeth stood. I followed suit.

“Elizabeth and I are going to retire for the evening,” Lucian said, offering his arm to his wife. “Nicolæ, I trust you’ll take care of everything else?” He just nodded. Lucian took my hand and kissed it. “Sleep the sleep of angels. Come, my dear,” he said to Elizabeth and they left.

An odd silence fell between Nicolæ and me. I knew our marriage traditions but this family’s were very, very different from ours. I looked at him and he was contemplating the floor. The silence was killing me so I cleared my throat.

“Where- where is the bedroom?” I asked timidly and he nodded.

“Follow me,” he said quietly and offered his arm just as Lucian had. I hesitated before taking it and letting him lead me out of the room and up the stairs.

It was strange walking beside him but he didn’t seem in a hurry and I got to look around a bit more. The upper wings were just as elaborate. There were so many doors that I yearned to open each one but restrained myself. We passed by an open door and I peered in. It was like a washroom only more complex. At the next door, Nicolæ turned the heavy door knob and swung it open.

It was absolutely gorgeous. The floor was a plush red carpet. A white and black bed rested between the two far windows. A white marble fireplace was to the right and to the left three more doors. I hesitated. I didn’t want to lead the way and he rubbed the back of his neck.

“Excuse me,” he said and in one quick motion, he carried me to the middle of the room.

I felt my face burn and I turned away on the pretext of looking around more. I heard the door latch shut and I tensed. Behind me, Nicolæ lit a small fire and light candles. He set two candles on each bedside table and a couple on the black dresser. I then noticed a mirror above the fireplace.

“I don’t know much about your traditions,” Nicolæ began. Did he always talk so quietly? “But the wedding night is always…” he trailed off awkwardly.

“Oh.” Fear slipped down my throat like an ice cube. Nicolæ was watching me and I wrapped my arms around my body.

He walked forward and, without thinking, I stepped back. He frowned.

“I’m not going to hurt you,” he said, still watching me with a calculating gaze. “But, if you agree, perhaps we could just sleep for now.” I nodded mutely. He passed by me and opened two of the doors. “This will be your closet,” he said, pointing at the one on the left. “My mother has some old clothing that will fit you just fine. This one is mine.” He opened the third door and I saw the washroom we passed on the way here. “This will be our washroom.”

“Where can I change?” I asked in a whisper. There wasn’t a curtain like at home.

He rubbed his neck again. “Well, I can turn my back….”

“There isn’t a curtain?”

He tilted his head to the side. “A curtain?” he repeated.

“Yes. At my village we have curtains in each bedroom to change behind.”

“I’m afraid I don’t have something like that. Perhaps I can find one tomorrow.” He looked longingly at the bed and I glanced at my closet.

“There’s room enough in here,” I said and backed into the closet.

I closed the door and pressed my forehead against it, finally letting my tears fall.