Till Death Do Us Part

Chapter Eight

----Slight Mature Content Below----

Neither of us brought up what happened. We woke maybe a few hours later, both soaking wet, and headed back to the manor in silence. The stable hand took the horses and Nicolæ held my hand as we went back inside to change before dinner.

I noticed that Lucian and Elisabeth had done what they could to make sure Terran provided my favorite meal and dessert, something I truly appreciated. I can’t say exactly why I trusted them; after all they had tortured me. But there was something about them that I couldn’t help but trust. I could see the honesty, the regret, the pain, and the sadness that the three of them carried.

When it was time for bed, I changed in my closet, glad that Nicolæ had ended it when he did. It showed me that he respected me. We climbed into bed together and he wrapped his arms around me. It didn’t take long to fall asleep.

The next few days were the best I ever had. Nicolæ had more meetings with his father so I had time on my own; most of the time I spent in their large library.

Something Lucian had told me kept running through my head. I kept hearing it over and over:

“Whenever he disobeys, some of his hair would turn white. We haven’t found a counter curse yet.”

Though my feelings for Nicolæ were still confusing, I hated the idea of him dying. Twenty-five was much too young. So, one by one, I would look through different tomes. Perhaps something would be mentioned. When asked, I simply said I was reading for pleasure.

“Can I ask you something?”

It was dinner and we were having a small meal.

“Anything,” Lucian nodded.

“Why was our marriage so key to your plans?”

“Jacques – the older gentleman – said that, though I would be the head of our colony, he wouldn’t move forward without Nicolæ having a wife. He seemed to think it was important.”

“It probably had something to do with the king’s wife, too,” Elisabeth added. “She was a beautiful woman until she died during labor. It was after that when the king’s greed took over him completely.”

I nodded and took another bite of turkey.

The next morning, Lucian called Nicolæ and me into his study. Elisabeth was sitting by the fire, knitting. Lucian looked a little anxious.

“Elisabeth and I need to leave for a few days,” he said and I shared a nervous look with Nicolæ. “We’re going to meet with the ten. I think it’s a good time to move to the next phase.”

“Does it have to be now?” Nicolæ asked with a small frown.

Lucian smiled kindly at him. “You know that progress has to happen sooner or later. Personally, I’m content with sooner.”

Nicolæ nodded and looked at me.

“Are we coming with you?” I asked but Lucian shook his head.

“Not this time. We need someone to stay here, anyway. Just in case,” he added. “Liam is still locked up but I don’t trust him and would rather have you two here to keep an eye on things.”

I nodded, too, and Nicolæ took my hand.

“Thank you,” Lucian said with a smile. “We’re leaving this evening.”

Nicolæ and I stood in the foyer three hours later to say good bye before Elisabeth and Lucian left. I was slightly nervous; I felt better when it was the four of us but I understood what was at stake. Elisabeth hugged me tightly while Nicolæ and his father shook hands.

“We’ll only be a few days,” Lucian assured us. “Then we’ll be back to make your lives difficult.”

I laughed and waved as they headed out to their carriage.

“I’m worried,” I said honestly as we went to bed after dinner.

“About my parents?” he asked, taking off his boots and I nodded. “They’ll be fine. My father was trained in combat should anything happen.” When I still didn’t look convinced, he wrapped me in his arms. “Trust me, they’ll be just fine.”

I smiled and kissed him. It was a wonderful feeling, being able to trust someone. The last person I trusted had been my father.

“You know what we should do?” Nicolæ asked and I shook my head. “This is embarrassing, but I have no idea how to dance. When our colony starts up, I know my parents are expecting some kind of party.”

I laughed. “I can teach you. My father taught me.”

--

The next afternoon we stood in the spare room.

“Ok, first put your hand on my waist,” I said and he did so. “Now take my hand. Now we just move. It’s really easy.”

“Easy for you to say,” he said. He kept watching his feet, making sure he didn’t step on my toes. “I’ve never been good at hand eye coordination or whatever it takes.”

I giggled and clicked my tongue. “Just follow my lead.”

I took a step back and urged him to follow. For maybe ten minutes we continued this way until he seemed to get the hang of it. Without warning, he suddenly lifted me and spun me around. I laughed and he put me down, laughing as well. Something turned in my stomach as I looked into his eyes, brushing some of his hair off his face.

I couldn’t hold back any longer and kissed him. For days he and I had both avoided any prolonged contact. I knew he was afraid of what would happen but I also knew that one day, his desire would overtake him.

He kissed me back and we stumbled for the door. Still kissing, I groped for the door knob. He lifted me as he had the first night and carried me to our room. He closed the door and kissed me again, hunger driving his hands to my hips. My own desire was quickly taking over and the room seemed to get hotter. I began to unbutton his shirt and he pulled away.

“Celfina,” he whispered but I put a finger on his lips. “I don’t want you to feel obligated.”

I kissed him again, running a hand through his hair. “I don’t feel obligated,” I whispered in his ear as his hands slid to my hips again. “I- I want to.”

My face was burning in embarrassment but he kissed me just the same as he slowly untied my dress. We fell backwards onto his bed and he kissed my neck. I closed my eyes and a small moan left my mouth as he ran his hand up my stomach and to my breast. He pressed his lower half to mine and groaned in desire.

He was breathing heavily and I could feel his overwhelming desire. But still he hesitated. Even though his hands ran over my body, he seemed to be too scared. I knew he was trying to respect me but hadn’t his father just said that progress had to happen sooner or later?

I gently pushed his face so he was looking me in the eyes. There was confusion, fear, and lust in his eyes. Slowly, I kissed him while wrapping one of my legs around his waist. Finally, with a groan of longing, he gave in.

It was the most beautiful moment of my life. I’ve never experienced anything like it before and I never wanted it to end. It didn’t take long for both of us to lose ourselves in the heat. Every tense day that we spent alone was released in that one amazing act.

What seemed a beautiful eternity later, we were both spent and he panted into my neck as I ran a hand through his damp hair.

“Celfina,” he breathed in my ear. “Celfina, I’m pretty sure I love you.”

I grinned and kissed his neck just below his ear. “I’m pretty sure I love you, too.”

He kissed me passionately then pulled me into his arms, pulling the sheets over us, and we fell asleep in each other’s arms.