Status: Active

Inner Demons

Testy, Testy

*Artemis' POV*
I sat at the breakfast table, my eyes almost closing as I ate my eggs. I hadn't been able to sleep last, perhaps due to the fact that Hermione had night terrors almost every night since last year when she, Ron, Harry, Luna, Ginny, and Neville had gone to face the Dark Lord in the Ministry. She had told me she watched Sirius die, and she hadn't really gotten over it.

I had noticed Anora wasn't looking so alert either today. "Hey, are you okay? You look pretty tired," I said to my friend.

She looked up from her breakfast and gave me a small smirk. "Well, you aren't exactly wide awake either, now." Her smirk faltered and she sighed. "Actually, something is wrong." She looked around, as if something was going to attack her any minute.

Anora slid a folded piece of parchment over to me. I took it and carefully opened it, reading the precise scribbles a few times over. I couldn't speak.

"It's just a joke. You really shouldn't worry. Oh, I knew I shouldn't have shown you," she said, grabbing the note quickly from my hands and shoving it into her bag. I finally regained my composure.

"Did you test the writing?"

"Yes, of course," she said, "but this person is much smarter than that. They probably used an untraceable quill. Those are much too easy to get your hands on nowadays anyway, and-"

"Bloody hell," I interrupted, "slow down, babe. Look, even if this is a joke, we're gonna find who it is. And then probably bash their head in for an extremely unfunny prank."

She gave me a seemingly reassured smile. "Of course we are. But before that, we have a Slughorn test to get through."

I rolled my eyes. Obviously she would be thinking of school work at a time like this.

"Look, I'm not even worried about that right now. Or the duel later on, because I'll kick anyone's arse that challenges me."

"I don't doubt that," she replied. "C'mon, let's go. I want to go over my notes one last time before the test."

Anora and I ended up in Slughorn's room about twenty minutes before class began, so we flipped through pages and pages of notes, memorizing and remembering potions and ingredients.

About ten minutes before class, I felt a presence behind me.

"Still studying? What, afraid the past 48 hours of studying wasn't enough?"

I rolled my eyes and turned back to Blaise. "What, afraid your five seconds of studying won't be enough to beat my 48 hours?"

He smirked. "I'm just worried about your well-being, obviously. Especially yours, Anora. Heard about you having to be saved by Draco-"

"First of all," Anora interrupted, "I was not in need of saving. He just showed up. Second of all, it was your friends that tried to attack me."

"Oooh, testy about that subject, I see. Someone's just not happy with the fact they were rescued by Slytherin royalty."

Anora was fuming, but I finally made her turn around and face her notes again. At this point, Slughorn was about ready to pass out the tests. As I turned to put my notes into my bag, I met Blaise's eyes, and he gave me a little smirk. I was angry with him for getting Anora worked up, so I rolled my eyes and faced the front. It's not like I was dating him or anything. I could break it off whenever I wanted.

I turned back a few minutes later, and his eyes stared right back at mine. For the rest of the test, it was like I could feel his eyes right on the back of my head. I knew this was a bad idea.