No Place I'd Rather Be

Chapter Seven

Jo refused to let go of James outside the airport. He wouldn't mind staying in her embrace for awhile but his plane awaits and so was his family back in Canada.

"I gotta go, babe," he kissed the top of her head. "I'll call you once I land."

She pouted like a child up at him, arms still around his middle. "It feels like you just got here."

"I know," James nodded. "We'll see each other very soon."

"I sure hope so." She finally let go of him and leaned back against her car while he grabbed his baggage from the trunk. He gave her a final kiss and headed inside the airport.

"Have a safe flight!" She called out. He waved back and she waited until he was out of sight.

Jo got back in her car with a loud sigh. She was all alone again. It hadn't even been a minute since he left and she already missed him terribly. Just five minutes ago he was sitting right next to her and now he was on a one way flight to the real world.

She still felt like their time together was all a dream. Everything just felt too right but she had nothing to complain about...except for her damn brother. When James told her about what her brother had said to him, she did a great job a keeping her cool. Deep down, she was fuming. She couldn't believe that her own brother thought so lowly of her and that he had the audacity to tell someone very important to her about his opinion.

The anger she felt towards her brother took over the sadness she felt for James departure. She drove out of LAX and knew exactly where she was going next.

-

Bang! Bang! Bang!

It didn't take very long before someone opened the door to Jo's excessive and obnoxious knocking. She knew that her brother had been staying at their parents' house for the summer and there was no place for him to hide from her.

"Johanna?" Her father opened the door. "What are you doing banging on the door like that?"

"I rang the doorbell twice. I just resorted to plan B." She pushed past her dad without an invitation. Not that she needed one. It was her house once.

"It's very early in the morning, Johanna. You nearly gave your mom a heart attack."

"Where's Rich?" Jo asked, not bothering to say anything about what her dad just said. It wasn't even that early. It was almost ten o'clock in the morning.

"He's in his room," her dad pointed. "What's going on?"

She ignored him as she ran up the stairs and straight to his room. She opened the door without knocking and was immediately greeted by a scream.

"What the fuck Jo! I could've been naked!" Rich yelled, throwing on a shirt.

"I don't give a shit if you're naked or not," Jo yelled back, walking into his room. "I just want to know what the hell you were thinking when you said all those things about me to James!"

"What the hell is going on in here?" Their father piped right behind Jo. Neither of them paid any attention to him.

Rich gave out a short, sarcastic laugh. He sat on his desk chair and put his hands behind his neck, acting relaxed as if nothing was wrong with what he did.

"Well? Are you going to explain yourself?" She questioned with a hand on her hip.

Rich shook his head, "I have nothing to explain. I only said what I felt. It's an opinion, Jo. You know, it's something everyone is entitled to."

"Oh don't give me that crap, Rich. You know I would never say anything bad about you especially in front of other people."

"I didn't say anything bad about you!" He retorted.

"I'm lucky to date a rich guy? That's not bad to you?" Jo stomped angrily.

"What! That's a good thing isn't it?"

"I don't need you being a smart ass with me right now." She glared.

"All I meant was that at least you're going to be with someone who's rich who can support you. I mean, let's face it Jo, do you really think you're going to get far with this whole fashion thing?"

Jo nearly flew herself across the room just so she could punch that stupid smirk off his face. He was lucky that their dad held her back before she could do anything.

"Richard, that's enough." Their father said sternly to her brother and turned his attention back to her. "Johanna, I think you need to calm down."

She wiggled free from his grasp and turned to him, "Me? I need to calm down? What about Rich! Aren't you going to say anything about the things he's said to me?"

"Johanna, sweetie, please."

"It's always him! It's always about Rich!" She screamed. "You and mom don't even care that I graduated because you two agree with him! You all think I won't get anywhere with what I went to school for!"

"That's not true," her dad tried to reach out to her. "We are all proud of you. I think Rich is just trying to look out for you as a brother."

"Did you not hear a word he said?!"

"I heard what he said, sweetie." He said. "Look, Johanna. Your mother and I have been talking about this James guy. Rich told us that he's this famous athlete and while we think that he would be good for you financially, we think that you shouldn't be around that kind of person."

Jo took a step back. "What do you mean 'that kind of person'?"

"Johanna, you know that professional athletes are known to be cheaters. We just don't want to see you get hurt."

Jo was shocked at what she was hearing. It was as if she had no one to count on anymore.

"Not all athletes are like that, dad. James is different. He wouldn't have come all the way here for my graduation if he was like the others!" She yelled. "And I can't even believe that all you guys care about is the money! Why can't I just want to be with someone who is a genuinely a good person?"

"Johanna, please..."

"No! I don't want to hear it anymore!" She walked out of the room. She faintly heard her brother say, "Just let her go, dad."

When she got back in her car, instead of a sigh, she just cried. She was angry, humiliated, and miserable. She slammed her hand on the steering wheel, finding it to be the only way she could release some of the anger she felt. She cried and she cried in her parents' driveway. None of them ever came out to see if she was alright. As she drove back home, all she wanted to do was to cry in bed. She just wanted one night where she could let it all out--all the feelings that she had bottled up inside of her for so long.

Without changing out of her clothes, she got in bed and cried herself to sleep. It was something she hadn't done since she was a little girl.

-

You've reached Johanna Perry's voicemail. Sorry I missed your call. Please leave a message and I'll be sure to get back to you! *Beep!*

"Hey Jo," James said over the phone. "It's James. I've been calling you for, uh, awhile now. Hope you're OK. Call me as soon as you get this message."

James ended the call and stared down at his phone. It had been his tenth try at calling her. He was starting to get worried that something might have happened to her. He told himself that maybe she lost her phone or left it on silent and just haven't gotten around to check it. He was trying to keep a positive mindset but each ring had him on the edge of losing his mind.

He never got involved with anyone seriously because of that. He didn't like the feeling of not knowing. With the girls that came before Jo, everything he did was under a routine. He would go on dates with the girls and maybe get lucky if they'd let him get to second base. The following day was another familiar routine. He would tell the girls that they were great and that he had an awesome time--all of which he was honest about. Then he would proceed to tell them that he had practice and that he would give them a call when he had the chance--something he'd never do.

It was all fun and games. He had nothing to worry about. But ever since he met Jo, all he could think about was what she was doing, where she was, who she's with, and if she's alright. The new routine was unfamiliar to him.

He tried calling her again. Maybe the eleventh time would be his lucky number.

"Hello?" She answered.

Yes!

"Jo, Oh thank God." He breathed out. "I was starting to worry. Are you OK?"

She sniffled on the other line, not saying a word.

"Jo?"

"I'm sorry," she hiccuped. "I'm just...I'm just a mess."

"What happened?" He asked.

On the other line, Jo burst into tears, unable to hold it in much longer. "My parents. My brother. They're all against me."

"What do you mean?"

"They don't want me to be with you because they think you'll only cheat on me."

"You don't believe that, do you?"

"No, of course not!" She sobbed. "I just feel so hopeless. I wish they could see what I see in you."

"Maybe this is all new to them. I can see why they would think that I would cheat. Unfortunately, some professional athletes ruined it for the rest of us by cheating on their partners. But believe me, Jo, not everyone is like that."

"I know that. I just wish my parents did too."

"It's alright, baby. They'll warm up to the idea."

"I can't even believe I'm crying over this. We're not even together!" Jo managed to laugh in between sobs.

Quickly, James came up with a plan.

"Come to Whitby." He said all of a sudden.

"What?"

"Visit me." He suggested. "Just get away from all that's happening there. Take a little vacation. With me."

"OK, when?"

James was shocked. He didn't think she would agree with his plan so quickly, not that he was complaining.

"Tonight. I don't want to waste any more time. I want you here with me."

"Oh James," she cooed.

"Say you'll be here tonight."

Jo wiped her tears with her shirt. She already knew her answer. There was nothing more that she wanted than to be with him especially in a time where she felt like she had no one else to turn to.

"I'll see you there." She said and hung up before he could say anything else.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun dun dun!!!!!!! Just had to throw in some family drama there. Sorry for the short chapter. More to come soon. Thanks for reading!