Status: Finished! (8/12-10/5)

Counting Stars

Eighteen

Mike’s POV- July 2014

Her name was Maricela, and she was 18 years old when she found out she was pregnant. Two months pregnant to be precise. She was born in Bogota, Colombia, but one of her aunts and her aunt’s best friend had brought her with her to the States when she was a baby. She grew up in Los Angeles with Nana who’s name is actually Leticia and she was her best friend, Nana is 3 years older than her. When Maricela found out she was pregnant she was ready to keep her baby and even become a single mother. Nana, being well an older sibling practically to Maricela went and demanded the man who had impregnated her best friend to step up and be the father to the unborn baby. His older brother forced him to step up; they married November 27, 1988. He married George Delgado, who was 20 years old and an engineering student. Maricela was a well-known painter/photographer and well when he found out how wealthy she was he “Fell in love with her”. He had been seeing Jake’s mom all along, Ashley was 19 years old and a premed student who apparently had been George’s first love.

George’s plan was for Maricela to pay for his education and then eventually dump her, that was until he found out she was expecting twins. A boy, and a little girl were expected to arrive. Nana was married and had her own children so George and Maricela moved into an apartment. On July 21, 1989; Isaac and Marisol were born. Marisol had her father’s eyes; these bright blue eyes where as Isaac’s eyes…were green. He had his mom’s father’s eyes; his grandfathers. Infidelity began to be questioned and at one point George raped Maricela. That’s where little Tessa comes in, born September 13, 1990. That was the last time George sexually touched Maricela. She would put her babies in the stroller and carry one when she went to do her job. Photography helped her relax, but the worse part was that she was in love with George. She fell for him, and she fell for him hard.

It was when her twins were 5 years old that she began to suspect that her husband was cheating on her. He said he loved her and that school was keeping him busy. He had fallen behind in school, and well he said he was doing that. She dropped it thinking it was just her mind playing tricks on her. Nana couldn’t exactly help her either. Her husband had lost his life in action. He lost his life during the Gulf war, and he left nana, and their 3 children behind. Thomas who was the oldest born in ’84, Jessica born in ’85 and Jason born in ’90. She was pregnant when her husband passed away.

When the twins were 7, it was Isaac who found his dad cheating on his mom. His mom was out doing a photo-shoot that would take longer than she excepted. Marisol was at Softball practice and Tessa was at Gymnastics practice. Tessa was always a little spoiled more by her father, but Marisol didn’t really care because she got to be outside and actually have fun instead of hearing the small arguments her parents were beginning to get into. Baseball practice had been canceled, so Isaac headed home. When he got home he was surprised to see his dad naked on a woman who wasn’t his mom. No matter how many bribes he was offered during that short amount of time he bolted out of the house and ran to where he knew his mom was. He told her everything and she watched as she looked at him and just broke down. He held her as this happened and he made a promise that he would make them pay for making his mom cry.

Everything fell for his mom from there on. He asked for a divorce and took half of her stuff. He was dead poor and he took half of what she owned. She supported him while he went to school. It turns out he had graduated a year before and he was just bumming around the city and going out with Ashley. Ashley was pregnant and on April 7, 1997 Jacob was born. Maricela shut herself out when she learned her youngest daughter knew about the affair but said nothing because her daddy bought her stuff. She knew her only son, had told his twin sister because she refused to see her dad. It wasn’t until Maricela was hospitalized. This was late 1998, when she found out she had terminal breast cancer. She slowly and painfully lived for a few months before she passed away in her sleep holding her twins on April 28, 1999. Before that though, it is not certain if George and Maricela were seeing each other. It’s said she was pregnant, but nothing was confirmed. The twins as they began to be referred to were forced to go live with their father who then tossed them aside to their nana.

He couldn’t look at his oldest daughter in the eye and those twins were always up to no good. Marisol was the mastermind and Isaac did the pranks. It involved Ashley’s blonde hair getting turned red, green, blue and even white in some points. They lived mostly at their nana’s home from ages 10-15. When they were 16 years old they had to live with their dad and well the pranks on Ashley got worse. One involved green body ink, Tessa’s hair …disappearing because Nair was “Accidently” put into a shampoo bottle and all of George’s engineering pencils being broken. George could punish his twins, why? A simple smile from Marisol made him think of Maricela

It wasn’t until the day of the twins 18th birthday that some missing money was blamed on them. They were pulled into the living room, and their dad asked them if they had taken the money. They said no, but Tess and Ashley said they were lying. Of course Isaac made a sarcastic remark and that’s when George punched him. He was pushed and he hit his eldest daughter in the face for defending her bastard brother. As a bruised eye began to form Marisol looked at her dad and he looked at her in the eye and told both of them to get out. They were no longer wanted in that family. He kicked them out with the clothes they were wearing. What hurt George were the words that came out of his eldest daughter, when she told him that this was the best birthday present ever. He had forgotten their birthday, and when he tried to talk to them Ashley pulled his arm while his daughter looked at him with teary eyes, and his oldest son looked at him with hatred in his green eyes. His youngest daughter told him it was for the best and Jake, their little brother was watching from the top of the staircase. He watched as his oldest sister, someone he looked up to broke down in the driveway. He watched as his brother picked her up and they both disappeared into the night. The next year he found out they were safe, his sister won a silver medal while his brother won a gold medal in the Olympics. His siblings were safe and when he had a chance, he was going to talk to them. He got into baseball and played the same position as his oldest sister, something that his dad hated.

“That’s all he knows?” I asked.

“Not even Tessa knows she was the product of rape”

Marisol nodded and took a sip of her ice tea.

“Yea”

Isaac looked at me and then at her.

“Mind getting me some ice tea?”

She nodded and stood up. He looked into the kitchen and then turned to me.

“Tomorrow?”

I nodded and he smiled.

“Are you ready?”

“You can never be ready” I said.

He laughed and nodded.

“What are you two laughing about?”

I looked at Marisol and then at Isaac who grinned.

“How amazing his cup day is going to be”

Marisol smiled and nodded as she handed him the tea.

“It is going to be nice. As long as I remember to put on bug repellent because bugs love me in Kenora”

I laughed and Kara came out of the hall with her arms spread out.

“Happy birthday!”

I turned to Marisol and smiled.

“Happy Birthday” I told her as I kissed her lightly.

She really didn’t like her birthday.

“Thanks Mike”

I hugged her and kissed her forehead. I was going to make her remember this day, not how she remembered it 7 years ago. She was going to love this day, it was after all the day her mother gave birth to her and her brother. If all went right, in a few hours Marisol would be my fiancé.
♠ ♠ ♠
two chapters in one day! Wooh!