‹ Prequel: The Summer After

Senior Year

Heartbreaking News (11.12.14)

So I went to a cardiosurgeon today and he discussed with me the state my heart is in. Turns out I have this rare congenital condition called the "Anomalous origin of the right coronary artery." It's usually not a big deal, but it's so close to the aorta that my artery could be squeezed at any moment when my vessels expand and I could die instantly. So I need heart surgery to fix this problem, and I want to get it done as soon as possible to try and get back for soccer season if the coach will let me stay on the team. It will take me about 2-3 months to fully recover, and I'm hoping it takes me 2 at most. It's really sad and I haven't been able to quite take it all in yet, but I haven't told any of my friends about it. I'm going to be hospitalized anywhere from 3 to 7 days, so hopefully I don't miss thanksgiving with my family. This is going to be rough finishing off the school year with all of my essays and college apps due. I have to work on them this weekend. All my muscles are going to be gone by the time I recover. It's not supposed to be dangerous, but anything can happen, and I don't know if I'm really understanding that concept.

On another note, I've been talking to the girl in my class a little more and we're kind of more comfortable just conversing, but I don't think anything is happening, so I might just leave it alone. I was talking with one my other friends and she says that high school relationships aren't built to last. I can see her perspective, and it's very understandable, so I guess she's convinced me that it really won't matter when I graduate.

Hopefully my athletic ability is improved and not impaired by this surgery. I really want to get back out and perform. My life is about to be taken to the next level of difficulty.