Status: Work in Progress

You're My Sweetheart

One

Lindsi had been training a new horse that she had gotten in. So far he was doing good. She smiled at that. They were going at a steady leisure pace. She was talking to him in a soothing voice. His ears twitched in response.

They were about thirty miles from her ranch. She didn’t hear the rustling in the bush to her left. But Tomahawk did. And he didn’t like it one bit. His front hooves were off the ground within seconds.

“Easy boy, easy,” she said in a calm authoritative voice. He did…briefly. The noise got louder. He was about to buck her off. So she jumped down to avoid any injury.

She moved out of the way just as he was about to come down on her foot. He back tracked and took off. She let out a string of colorful words. The rustling continued. She whipped around and pulled out her gun.

“Gone on, show yourself!” she yelled. She fixated her gun on the bushes. Finally something emerged. Or rather someone emerged. He had a baseball cap covering his face.

She couldn’t see her eyes. She stood her ground. He watched her movement. He saw how readily she was ready to take him out. He could easily take her out too. But he was too tired to do so.

“Help…please,” he managed. He had been walking for twelve hours straight and ended up here. He hadn’t eaten in a while nor had he slept. He collapsed to the ground. She holstered her gun and hurried over to him.

In no time, she had him up. She moved him over to a tree and under the shade. She pulled out her cell phone and called Dixon. “Hey, do me a favor,” she said when he answered. “Bring the Gator out to Moons Crossing. Tomahawk got spooked and took off.

Bring water…lots of it.” Dixon didn’t get to respond. She ended the call before he got the chance. She looked down at the stranger. She removed the baseball cap.

She looked at him. He had shoulder length dark brown hair. Thin lips. A few scratches. She heaved a sigh. Just what she needed.

Looking after someone. She patted his face gently. “I need you to wake up for me. Wake up, sweetie.” She surprised herself at that.

She never called anyone that. Well little kids. Not grown men. She patted his face again. “Wake up, sweetie.

I know it’s easy to go to sleep. But you are dehydrated. I need you to open those eyes of yours.” Finally he did. They were the bluest eyes she had ever seen.

And that goes without saying. Her mother and brother had blue eyes. Just not as blue as his. She had brown eyes. He blinked a few times.

“Hey,” she said with a sweet smile. He looked at her curiously. He was about to close his eyes again. “Oh no you don’t. Don’t you close those eyes. Stay with me.”

His eyes opened again. “Please…keep them open. I don’t want to have to take you to the hospital.” He gave a slight nod. She looked at him.

She wondered where he came from. How he ended up at her ranch. Why he was dehydrated. She heard the rumbling of the Gator. She looked up to see Dixon waving at her. “Help is here,” she said looking back down at him.

Dixon pulled up beside them. He frowned at the scene. She looked up at him. “Don’t just stand there! Bring me the water!”

Dixon moved quickly. He tossed her a water bottle. She opened it and helped the stranger drink it. “There you go. Just drink this and another bottle. Then we’ll get you back to the ranch.”

He managed two bottles of water. Dixon helped her up then together they carried the stranger to the back of the Gator. She put the baseball cap back on his head. She sat beside Dixon.

The ride back was awkwardly silent. She knew the gears were turning in his mind. “Dixon don’t make it difficult,” she finally said. He pursed his lips. She sighed.

He worked for her. But they had been friends since grade school. His uncle was the head ranch hand. She knew there would be speculation. All she wanted to do was get her…friend? inside and taken cared of.

Once they arrived, Dixon helped her get the stranger in. They put him in the guest quarters off to the side of the kitchen. Dixon was gone the minute the guy was placed on the bed. She got up and got a basin and a rag. She put some ice cubes in it then filled it with cold water.

She came back and sat beside him. She placed the rag in the basin then wrung out the water. She sat the basin on the night stand. She proceeded to gently pat his face with the wet rag. Dixon brought the water bottles then left again.

She did her best to get him comfortable. She helped him drink the water. She pressed the cold compress to his forehead and neck. She would call Doc if it came down to it. For now she’d do the best she could.
♠ ♠ ♠
I only own my OC Lindsi Tesla and her family, and the ranch help. The title comes from the song Ho Hey by The Lumineers.