Status: Work in Progress

You're My Sweetheart

Two

Lindsi stayed with him until dinner time. She applied a cold compress to his face, forehead, and neck. She gave him water. She gave him six and a half bottles of water. Giving time in between.

Her mother, Diana, called her to dinner. Lindsi washed up then headed to the dining room. Her father and brother, Robert and Zach, were already waiting. Diana brought the last of the food to the table. Once she and Lindsi sit down, the men will sit down.

A quick prayer is said over the food. Plates are soon moving, eating utensils clanging. At first dinner is silent. Then Robert speaks. "Dixon mentioned that he found Tomahawk.

Told me to let you know." Lindsi swallowed the food in her mouth. "He had gotten spooked and took off. Well after I jumped off." She saw Zach out the corner of her eye.

Her brother knew that she wasn't telling the whole story. She kept a tight lip. Zach heaved a sigh. "I'm glad he found him. It'd be a shame to lose a horse like him," Diana said.

Tomahawk is an Appaloosa, Arabian mix. He was top choice for barrel racing. If he did well with training, Lindsi would keep him and compete with him. She had two other horses, a Paint and an Anglo-Arabian. The Anglo-Arabian was the one that brought in the most wins.

The subject switched. Lindsi was relieved. After dinner, she helped her mother clean the kitchen. She went outside and sat on the porch swing. She thought about the day's events.

Tomahawk had been delivered around eight thirty. She had Dr. Grayson come out and give the horse a quick exam. He passed with flying colors. She found a spare saddle that she had gotten six months ago. She got him ready to go.

He didn't take too kindly to having someone putting a saddle on him. But he finally gave in after she bribed him with sugar cubes and peppermints. And then the afternoon rolled around. Never would she have guessed, that she would encounter a stranger. A stranger that had a special hold on her.

Zach called out to her. She blinked her eyes, breaking out of her reverie. "Mom and dad are a sleep. If you're going to feed your friend you better do it's now." He left before she could respond.

She hurried inside. She rummaged for the chicken and rice soup she made the day before. She put some in a bowl and nuked it. She got it hot enough to enjoy but not to burn going down. She grabbed another water bottle and a spoon.

She wandered into the room where he slept. She wasn't expecting to find him awake. She almost dropped the bowl. She stopped in her tracks then took a deeo breath. When she opened her eyes, he was staring at her.

"I'm glad you are awake. It means I did a good job and don't need Doc," she said. She gave him a soft smile. "Hungry?" she asked. He nodded his head.

"Think you can hold the bowl? Or...I can." He raised an eyebrow at her. He moved his arms from under the cover. He had taken off the jacket. She saw the titanium arm.

Her eyes widened at that. He saw this then tried to hide it. "No don't. I didn't mean to stare. Please. Don't hide it." She looked him in the eyes.

He saw the sincerity in them. "Okay," he mustered. His voice was soft. She could sense the tiredness and confusion. She handed him the bowl.

"Do you know your name?" He looked at her a moment. "No," he finally said. She frowned. "I haven't been able to remember it for a while."

She gave a soft sigh. She thought it over. "How about we call you Michael?" He raised an eyebrow at her. "Well do you have a better suggestion?" she tossed back.

She fought back a challenging smile. "Michael's...good." He, didn't smile but it was close. "Better give you a last name too. I don't know how long I can hide you in here without someone snooping around."

She thought a moment. "Winchester," she said softly. He snorted. "Go ahead and laugh. Just trying to help." She got up to leave. He stopped her. "Don't go," he pleaded.