Status: I'm back (:

Brontide

Chapter Sixteen

January moved steadily into February, which soon became March. The weather was still pretty cold but became windier and wetter as the month went by. The shop was doing well for itself, and occasionally Tonks would stay over at the flat because she was worried sick about Remus. He'd been doing undercover work in a werewolf commune and was trying to persuade them away from Lord Voldemort’s side. It was a dangerous mission without a doubt, but Dumbledore saw that it was essential.

On one particular day in March, Ron’s birthday to be exact, Fred and George decided to surprise him by showing up for their Hogsmeade weekend. Alternately, they were also looking into buying Zonko’s Joke Shop so they could have a Hogsmeade branch, so Rae and I were left in charge for the day. Granted, I really had wanted to go and see the castle again but the shop needed to stay open, so with reluctance, I stayed behind and helped Rae get through the bustling lines of customers. The day dragged on and on, and when seven o’clock rolled around we locked the doors and cleaned up, shutting off the lights and dragging our feet up the spiraling staircase.

When we reached the flat, I half expected to see Fred and George lounging around on the sofas, rubbing their bellies and asking about supper, only they hadn’t returned from their trip yet. Rae and I exchanged looks of slight confusion. They should’ve been back a long time ago.

“What do you think happened?” Rae asked as she pulled her work robes over her head.

“I dunno,” I said thoughtfully, doing the same, “I just hope everything’s alright.”

Neither of us felt like making anything to eat so we brought home two bowls of stew from the Leaky Cauldron, curling up by the fire in our pajamas. I tried not to worry about Fred and George as I ate my dinner, but soon it was past nine and we still hadn’t heard anything from them. It was after we’d finished eating and were drinking hot cocoa that they finally contacted us.

“Hello?” Rae and I jumped in surprise, looking around to find where the voice had come from. “Cassie? Rae? Are you both there? Is this thing working?”

It was coming from the fireplace. The two of us crawled toward the hearth, making out the outlines of two shaggy heads in the stoking embers. It’d been Fred’s voice that we heard.

“Yes, we can hear you,” Rae said back, “what’s going on?”

“We’re up at the castle,” George said, sounding evidently tired, “Ron’s been poisoned.”

“What?” we said at the same time, wearing matching looks of shock.

“Is he alright?” I asked, my voice full of panic.

“Yeah, he’ll be alright. We’re lucky Harry was there because he saved Ron’s life. Would’ve really put a damper on his birthday if he kicked the bucket,” Fred said.

Rae had a hand over her heart. “Who would want to poison Ron?”

“They don’t think the poison was meant for him,” George said quietly, “they reckon it was supposed to be for Dumbledore.”

I felt relieved that Ron was okay, but that didn't mean my worries were put to ease. “Is Ron awake? Could you tell him I’ll be sending his birthday present soon and that he isn’t allowed to clock out just yet?”

“Oh, he isn’t conscious,” Fred half-laughed, “he’s been out cold for hours. I reckon he deserves it after the day he’s had, first accidentally drinking a love potion and then getting poisoned something awful. He might not have a girlfriend when he wakes up, either. He was mumbling Hermione’s name in his sleep and I think Lavender heard him.”

"Since when does Ron have a girlfriend? And why is it Lavender Brown of all people? That girl has some issues to work out. If he was dating anyone I would've thought it'd be Hermione."

“I always did think Ron and Hermione should go together,” Rae commented thoughtfully.

Fred seemed too tired to care about these things. "I dunno, why don't you question him when decides to return to the world?"

I rolled my eyes at him. “Fine, fine...when do you two think you’ll be back?”

“Not ‘til later tonight, I expect,” Fred sighed.

“Mum and Dad are here and Mum’s a right mess, she’ll have our heads if we leave right now,” George added.

“Don’t wait up for us,” Fred said, a smirk evident in his voice.

I found myself smiling a little. “Believe me, I won't."

They disappeared from the fire and Rae and I settled into a sofa, her legs strewn across my lap. I sipped at my cocoa and tried to calm my busy brain. I wasn't sure if I’d be able to sleep that night.

“I can’t believe someone tried to have Dumbledore offed,” Rae said offhandedly. I gave her a pointed look, my eyebrow raised. “Okay, so maybe I can believe it but still, that’s a bit scary, isn’t it? I’m just glad Ron’s okay.”

“Me too,” I said, wiping my mouth with my sleeve, “but you do realize what’ll happen if someone succeeds in having Dumbledore offed, right?”

She shrugged. “Well I bloody well don’t expect it to be good, that’s for sure.”

“Dumbledore’s the only thing keeping Lord Voldemort –” Rae flinched at the use of his name, “– from taking over Hogwarts and the wizarding world completely, so if something happens to him I think we can all safely agree that we’re pretty much screwed.”

“I don’t like it when you use his name,” Rae said quietly, twiddling her thumbs.

I shrugged. “It’s just a name, Rae, you shouldn’t be afraid of it.”

“I don’t understand how you’re not afraid of it, of him,” she said in disbelief.

“I am afraid,” I admitted, “but I’m trying not to let it take over my life.”

Rae and I fell asleep on the sofa at some point; I wasn’t sure of the time but I did know it was late. The chocolate in my cocoa had given me strange dreams, and I was in the middle of having one about a humongous thestral when I was woken up by a loud CRACK. My eyes shot open and I sat up, Rae doing the same. Fred and George had apparated into the sitting room, which was pitch black apart from the glowing embers of the dying fire.

“Sorry, didn’t realize you were sleeping in here,” George yawned, stretching his arms over his head.

“It’s alright, ‘m goin’ to bed now anyway,” Rae mumbled, saying something that sounded like ‘goodnight’ and following George into his room, the door closing.

I looked at Fred with half-lidded eyes, rubbing them with the heels of my hands. He sat next to me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

“How’re your parents?” I asked quietly, resting my head against his.

“They’re alright, Mum’s been given a right scare and Dad’s been trying to keep her calmed down.” He let out a long yawn. “Unfortunately, I need to sleep; it’s been a long day.”

“I won’t keep you, then,” I said, getting up from the sofa, Fred doing the same.

“To be honest, I wouldn’t mind if you kept me,” he said with a smirk.

I gave him a look, a smile playing at the corners of my lips. “Look, Fred, just because we’ve gone on one date doesn’t mean –”

“I know, I know,” he sighed, a hint of sarcasm in his voice as we headed toward the hall, “but that doesn’t mean that I can’t look forward to the next one.”

He was always the optimist. “We’ll see about that,” I said elusively. He swooped in and planted a kiss on my forehead before heading into his room.

“Goodnight, arseface,” he said with a grin, pulling his shirt off over his head and exposing the toned body that'd been hidden underneath it.

I felt my cheeks go hot and I quickly looked away. “Goodnight, you wanker,” I mumbled, going to the door at the end of the hall and struggling, as I always did lately, to fall asleep.

***

The weeks went by and April rolled around the corner, the endless days of rain and clouds keeping business to a minimum. May wasn’t much different, and it wasn’t until June that the weather began to warm up a bit. Despite this pleasant change in atmosphere, Diagon Alley seemed bleak. Ollivander’s Wand Shop had been boarded up for months, along with a few other stores that were too afraid to stay open.

Fred and George tried to stay optimistic. Anytime the topic of closing came up they changed the subject, refusing to believe that the day would come when they’d have to close their doors. I was uneasy about it, sometimes wondering if Death Eaters were about to unleash an attack on the shop or sneak up on us in our sleep. Needless to say, I slept even worse than usual and it was common for me to wake up in the middle of the night from nightmares.

The letter came on July 1st, 1997. As Rae had taken up almost permanent residence in George’s bed, I was sleeping by myself or at least attempting to. When I’d finally fallen asleep at the early hours of the morning, I was no sooner woken up again. At first, I thought it’d been from another one of my nightmares, but as I rubbed my eyes and looked over to the cracked open window, I realized something was flying just outside of it, knocking against the glass.

Hesitantly, I got up and pulled back the curtains, revealing a tiny screech owl flying around enthusiastically and recognizing it as Pigwidgeon, Ron’s owl. Slightly confused, I opened the window enough to let the whizzing ball of feathers into my room. He landed on the perch in Nestor’s cage, who was out hunting.

"What're you doing out here, Pig?" I mumbled to myself. I noticed he was carrying something, and I carefully untied the letter from his outstretched leg. Pigwidgeon hooted happily and helped himself to some of Nestor’s owl nuts.

I sat down on my bed and unrolled the parchment, lighting my wand so I could see better. Immediately I regretted looking at what Ron had written, a lump of pure dread forming in the back of my throat and my heart sinking into my stomach like a stone.

To Fred, George, Cassie, and Rae –

Long story short, Death Eaters got into the castle, some of the Order was here and Bill’s been badly hurt by Fenrir Greyback, but they think he should be alright. But the worst of it…well, Snape’s a bloody traitor, and Harry saw it happen – can hardly believe it myself, but…Dumbledore’s dead.


I couldn’t even finish the letter. I felt my eyes go wide and my heart pounded like a drum against my ribcage. No, I’d been initially right; this was a nightmare. Dumbledore couldn’t be dead, he was practically immortal…he was the leader of the Order…he was the most well respected Headmaster Hogwarts ever had and he just couldn’t be dead...but I knew Ron wouldn’t send an owl that late in the night if there was any speculation otherwise.

I had a feeling of what was to come, and fear didn’t even begin to cover what I truly felt – unimaginable terror. At the feeling of loss I felt for my old Headmaster, as well as the dread I was experiencing for the future, I let out a wail that startled Pigwidgeon, my flatmates and likely most of Diagon Alley. Off in the distance, the low, distant rumbling of thunder could be heard.

***

The four of us apparated outside the gates of Hogwarts and followed the throng of people onto the grounds. Fred and George wore coats of black dragon skin. Neither of them had smiled all day, wearing matching expressions of gloom and somberness. I felt empty and my hair hung long and lank, standing out against the long black dress I wore. Rae, though her face was slightly red and blotchy from crying so much, had managed to tame her short hair and wore a tea-length black dress, holding onto George’s arm. I would’ve felt happy about seeing the castle again had it not been for the occasion that we were there for. I felt small and it seemed like it’d been years since I last set foot on the grounds. I sure as hell didn’t feel the same.

We followed the endless groups of people to the edge of the Black Lake where a few hundred chairs had been set up. Most of the Weasleys were already there; Mrs. Weasley was crying into a handkerchief, Mr. Weasley rubbing her back consolingly. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny sat near them, talking quietly amongst themselves and appearing overall tired and sullen. Harry looked like he hadn’t slept in days, and though I knew he wouldn’t appreciate it I felt a pang of pity for him, losing another person who I knew was important to him. Bill Weasley was being supported into a seat by Fleur Delacour, looking badly scratched up, pale and sickly. Nearby sat Kingsley, Mad-Eye Moody, Remus – who seemed more exhausted and worn than ever before – and Tonks, the latter two holding hands.

With a sick pang of anger, I noticed Dolores Umbridge sitting on the other side of the grounds, her face smug and feigning grief. I shot her a wicked look as I followed the others into a row near Bill and Fleur, trying to pretend she wasn’t there.

Lee Jordan had arrived with Angelina Johnson, his arm around her back. Though he looked about the same as he did when we left Hogwarts, Lee seemed a little older and looked about as happy as everyone else, though his expression perked up a bit upon spotting us. He took a spot next to George, Angelina sitting closest to the lake.

“Good to see you, mate,” George said quietly, shaking hands with Lee, Fred reaching across Rae and George to do the same. Lee said his hellos to Rae and then looked to me, a thin smile on his face.

“Cassie Bains, long time no see. How’ve you been?”

I shrugged noncommittally. “I’ve been better, I suppose. This wasn’t exactly how I expected to see you two again.”

“Trust me, this was a bit of a shock,” Angelina said glumly. Her eyes looked red-rimmed, as though she’d been crying for hours.

“I can’t believe it,” Lee said quietly, “Dumbledore…”

The new Minister of Magic, Rufus Scrimgeour, arrived along with Percy Weasley, Cornelius Fudge also making an appearance. I recognized a lot of people from Dumbledore’s Army, including Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood, the former helping the prior, who looked injured, into a seat. Madam Malkin, who owned the robe shop in Diagon Alley, was there along with Tom from the Leaky Cauldron and a few other shop owners. Many more people were there who I didn’t recognize, but even Hogwarts’ ghosts showed up to pay their respects.

Just as I spotted Professor McGonagall sitting up front with the other teachers a strange sort of music came over the crowd, drowning out the voices and causing everyone to look around for the source. I looked to my right, the hairs on the back of my neck standing up at the sounds of the voices, to find several merpeople hanging out just below the surface of the lake, their purple hair swirling around them like mist and their haunting tune making the insides of my heart feel like ice. Without looking down, I felt Fred gently take my hand in his, giving me a small, reassuring squeeze, one in which I returned.

Hagrid had walked up the aisle, tears streaming down his face into his wild beard, and in his arms was a bundle of purple velvety material with golden stars on it. I felt the rock in my throat reform as I realize exactly what he was carrying, and he placed it on a table up at the front of the crowd. I bit my lip, trying to hold back tears but it was hard. The last funeral I’d gone to was my grandmother’s, and I hardly remembered it, being so young and traumatized by the whole ordeal. This, however, was much different. When the music stopped, a little wizard in black robes with short, tufty hair stood up in front of Dumbledore’s body.

I couldn’t quite make out what he was saying, just bits and pieces of how great of a wizard Dumbledore was and how this loss would echo for ages. I caught sight of Rae two seats over, silent tears streaking down her face as she held back her sobs. The sight of my best friend, of everyone crying around me and looking so distraught, finally broke me and I looked away from my friends, focusing on the castle instead as tears burned my eyes. Fred’s hold on my hand tightened and I looked at him, his face full of concern and understanding. He wiped a salty tear from my pale cheek and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I allowed myself to rest my head in the crook of his neck, trying to pay attention to the tiny wizard ahead of us and hear his speech.

When the man had finally stopped speaking, there was a brief silence that followed, and then several people screamed. The table upon which Dumbledore’s body laid erupted into white flames, engulfing his body and rising higher and higher. A minute later the flames vanished and a large, white marble tomb in its place and encasing the body.

The centaurs of the Forbidden Forest had emerged at the tree line, and a moment later more people screamed as a volley of arrows flew through the air, though none of them landed anywhere near the people seated. The centaurs retreated into the forest, and the merpeople, who’d come to the surface to hear the funeral speech, submerged themselves in the lake again and disappeared from view.

And then it was over. The people around us slowly began to get up from their seats and disperse, groups of people comforting each other or Hogwarts friends hugging each other tearfully goodbye. I wiped my eyes and followed the others, resisting the urge to look back at the tomb or the castle. When we reached the gate we said our goodbyes to Lee and Angelina, promising to visit them soon before apparating back to the flat.

I landed in the sitting room, steadying myself and wrapping my arms around Rae, who’d been resolved to tears once again. Fred and George, who’d been standing to the side, joined in on the hug, the four of us unmoving.

“I’m about to get all sentimental, but I don’t care,” I told them, my voice slightly wavering. “No matter what happens from here on out, we stay together. Each of you means the world to me, and…and I don’t want to attend another funeral if I can help it.” My voice cracked at the end as I held back more tears.

I felt Rae nod against my shoulder. “Cassie,” Fred said quietly, “stop talking like that. We aren’t going anywhere.”

“Don’t say that, Fred,” I told him, breaking away from everyone else. “You don’t know what might happen. With how bad everything is getting we need to think about these things, alright?"

He looked like he wanted to say something else but George put a hand on his shoulder, changing his mind. We headed off into our respective rooms, whether to brood or mourn or change out of our clothes. I left my dress on and laid down on my bed, staring at the ceiling blankly. Rae changed out of her dress and rummaged through her trunk, putting on a shirt and pants.

“Here,” she said, handing me a package of unopened Chocoballs that I’d just received for my nineteenth birthday, “eat these.”

I mumbled my thanks and opened up the package, popping one into my mouth. There was raspberry cream inside, my favorite. I offered the package to her and she took one, lying next to me.

“Well, at least we have one thing to look forward to,” she pointed out. I furrowed my brows slightly, looking to her for an answer. “Bill and Fleur’s wedding, of course,” she said knowingly.

My memory was slightly more refreshed, and I felt a small sense of shock that something such as a wedding could happen with all that’d been going on. “Oh, right,” I said quietly, eating another Chocoball and chewing it thoughtfully.

“Do you think we’ll have to go into hiding?” Rae asked seriously, turning her head to look at me.

I swallowed the food in my mouth, licking my lip. “I don’t know,” I said truthfully, “have you told your parents what’s been going on?”

“Oh yeah, they know,” she said, her tone darkening slightly, “but they travel out of the country so often that it’s not really a concern for them. I think they’ll be alright.”

“You’re not worried about them at all?” I asked.

“Why should I be? They haven’t exactly worried about me during all of this, have they?” she asked bitterly. I said nothing. “They’ve always been wrapped up in their own lives, where their next vacationing spot will be, which family member they’d be visiting…for as long as I can remember, it's like my dad's forgotten that we share magical blood. What am I, the lousy next door neighbor who watches their cats?” She let out a sigh. “Anyway, you lot are my family, you always have been.”

She ate another Chocoball and I let myself think, playing with the ends of my hair. I picked up my wand and levitated some of the chocolate wrappers, watching as they reflected the setting sun. I silently wished my grandmother were still alive so she could tell me what things were like during the First Wizarding War, that way I could prepare myself. I didn’t know what to expect, I didn’t know if I was nearly as skilled as I thought I was and I didn’t know if I was ready to face the inevitable truth that we might not all survive. I felt like I didn’t know anything, like I was utterly useless and that frustrated me. What would the infamous Auriga Selwick have done to prepare herself for war?

She sure as hell wouldn’t sit around like I was doing at that moment, dwelling on negativities and waiting for answers to come. I sat up straight, letting the chocolate wrappers float to the floor as my attention was diverted. I tucked my hair behind my ears, sliding off my bed and standing up. Rae eyed me with curiosity.

“What are you doing?” she asked skeptically.

“I’m done sitting around,” I told her, pacing back and forth across the floorboards, “I’m done hoping by some miracle that we’ll know what to do eventually. We’re going to practice – we’re going to pretend like we’re in Dumbledore’s Army again because I don’t know about you but I feel a little rusty, and if we have to encounter Death Eaters or worse I don’t want to be unprepared. So what do you say? Are you with me in this?” I’d stopped in front of the bed, looking to her expectantly.

She sat up and looked at me with a grin, the same youthful fire in her eyes that I once remembered. “Aren’t I always?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello again! I apologize for this update taking so long to get out, it's been a weird week and I had a bit of writer's block with this chapter, but here it is. Shit's gonna start getting real now, let me tell you. Prepare yourself, that's all I'm gonna say.
Thank you to Eggrolls and Niall James Horan. for being so unbelievably kind and commenting on this story, it means everything to me. Thank you to everyone who's read, subscribed to this or recommended it, you're all so wonderful and I love all of you.