‹ Prequel: Our Secret Place
Status: (2016) Active for the summer!! :)

In Oceans Deep

Warm

In a broken house full of anger and pain, a warm heart still blooms speaking words of honey trying to help the others mend while ignoring the pain in her own heart. A mirror image of the one they had lost, her presence is sometimes bittersweet, but she tries to be the best she can, always giving all of her love. But now she is exhausted and feels little. Numb to the world she keeps on her mask but sets it down when tired muscles are too weak to even hold up a smile.

A harsh knock raps against the front door. She answers it in the stead of her parents who rest wearily in their rooms. Her usual mask of a smile disappears as she recognises this boy. It is the brother of the one who had stolen her sister away.

“It’s Theodore, right?” A forced smile reappears, spreading across her face.

Theodore doesn’t move, his frown deepening.

“How’s your brother?” Her words are unusually bitter sounding flat and hollow, her stare remaining blank, the smile still on her face, emotionless.

“My brother is dead!” Words laced with venom startle her from her dream like state, leaving her with furled eyebrows and an expression of confusion. “I want you to know that it is your fault!”

“Dead?” her voice is barely a whisper which chokes inside of her. Her thoughts race for an explanation, her mind unable to keep up with his words. My brother is dead, words whose meaning she cannot understand. It's her sister who should be dead, not his brother.

“Yes, dead! They found his car by the beach with all his belongings in it. He’s dead.”

Silence grips her as she doesn’t know what to say. So many possibilities, what if they had just run away together? Perhaps they had started anew in another town. Perhaps Callie was still alive…

She shakes her head, her eyes filling with water. She knows it would be foolish to hope such a thing, and deep down she already knew. Her sister is dead. Her boyfriend being missing only confirms it.

“I’m sorry for your loss…” she mutters, mindless words passing through lifeless lips, numb from the realisation of it all. She can feel the happy charade she had put up collapsing on top of her causing her to lean into the doorframe for support.

“I DON’T WANT YOUR PITY!” he yells at her, his fist slamming hard into the frame, inches from her weary face. The wood bulges and splinters.

“I know,” she replies her hand shaking as she reaches out to him. Tears brim over and fall down her face. She wants to wipe them away but instead catches the tear in the corner of his.

Frightened he slaps her hand away. “Don’t touch me!” he spits at her, but she steps forward for every step he takes back, looking for something, someone to hold on to. She follows him down the steps, desperate for him to know the truth, to share a connection, but he staggers backwards fear in his eyes. Her mouth opens to speak, but his voice rattles first. “I said don’t touch me!”

The sound of skull on stone echoed as she lands on the stone steps. His lethally trained foot had put her there, its edge having slammed into her chest. She isn’t moving any more. Panicked eyes search for blood but see none before fearful legs scamper off into the street.