Are There Some Aces up Your Sleeve?

1/1

Jack threw the darts but missed the balloon not surprisingly, he had the worst aim. But he wasn't expecting Alex to do any better. Unfortunately he was wrong. "I want that one," Lisa pointed to the stuffed monkey on the shelf behind the guy running the booth at the carnival. The guy nodded and grabbed it from the shelf and handed it to Alex because he had won it for her. He gave it to her and then wrapped her up in a hug giving her a kiss on the top of her head before taking her hand, the one that wasn't holding on to the stupid stuffed monkey and intertwining their fingers.

They walked on until they were met with one of those test your strength things. Rian went first handing money to the person and taking the hammer and slamming it down on the thing, making it close enough to the top to win a small prize which made Jack roll his eyes.

"Try it Jack," Alex encouraged.

"Yeah I will if you will," said Casadee. Jack looked up from the ground, she was so nice and always encouraging him even though she knew he was going to probably lose."Besides, Rian has been winning me prizes all night I want to win him one, she grinned at him, and so he took the hammer and swung it as hard as he could on the thing causing Alex to laugh when he missed. The guy gave him another shot for free, probably because he felt bad for him, and this time Jack hit it but he still didn't win a prize. He frowned at the ground.

Casadee gave him a pat on the back and then stepped up to play it herself, and also lost.

"I think Zack could totally win," Alex said.

"Yeah," Rian said. "those muscles have got to be good for something other then just looks," he laughed.

Zack laughed but decided to try it anyway and of course Rian was right he hit the thing and it went all the way to the top lighting up the game.

"Who's the prize for?" the kid running the game asked.

Zack shrugged taking the gigantic bear from him.

"Your weak boyfriend?" he looked at Jack.

"I'm not--" Jack started, but before he could say anything Zack interrupted.

"Hey lets do that one," Zack pointed at the dunk tank. It was like he knew that he was sad and was trying to distract the others by picking something that Jack might be able to win at. Although Zack would probably win that one on the first try he wanted to be a baseball player when he was little and played littler league baseball so to say that he didn't know how to throw a baseball was sort of a stretch. That wasn't to say that Jack hadn't played little league, because he had but he was never any good at it.

Zack had only played the test your strength game because he wanted to one up Rian, although Rian won anyway. He wasn't playing them for no reason unlike Jack who had played them all and won nothing, because it wasn't like Zack had anyone to give the prizes he probably could have won to so he had no obligation to spend money on the stupid games anyway. Jack would have preferred to go on rides but he didn't want to go by himself and since the others were currently having a blast playing the stupid games he hung out in the back of the crowd and looked down at his feet.

"Jack you want a turn?" Zack asked looking at him. Jack shrugged.

"No thanks I think I'm gonna go over to the fortune tellers booth." He couldn't really think of a better excuse to get away from the group, he really hoped that Zack or someone would come with him but he knew better then that. He pointed in the direction of the fortune teller tent that they had passed earlier. Zack looked at him before he handed some crumpled up money to the girl running the booth but Rian was too wrapped up in Cassadee to respond and Alex was staring at the girl running the booth.

He smiled at Zack but walked off in the direction of the tent, five bucks was a lot for some shitty fortune but he didn't tell the poor lady that, she probably needed it more then he did. He handed her the money and sat down at the table.

"You look familiar sweetie," she said.

"Yeah?" he said with a small laugh maybe he should have gotten a drink before he came here.

"Aren't you in a band?" she asked.

Jack shook his head and did his best to give her a confused look.

"My daughter likes that band All Time Go or something isn't it?"

He tried to contain the laugh in his voice. "Oh you mean that band All Time High?"

"That's the one," she said. "You look a lot like that singer guy, his name is Alec isn't it?"

"I get that a lot." he said. "It's weird because I don't really like their music much, and I hear that guy is sort of a huge jerk." he shrugged he wasn't sure if she thought he looked like Alex or if she got them confused, which a lot of people did, and considering everything else she'd gotten wrong that wouldn't have shocked him.

"Really?"

"Yeah but I wouldn't trust the media," he said. He tried to imagine the look on the daughters face when her mom told her that she met someone that looked just like Alex from the band called All Time High at the carnival. He made a mental note to tweet about it later and as if his phone could read his mind it vibrated in his back pocket which gave him an idea.

"What did you say her name was again?" he asked.

"Alison, why?"

"Oh I was just curious." He took his phone from his pocket he didn't get his fortune told but at least his day was getting significantly better. "Do you mind if we take a picture my friend wants proof that I'm here," he lied.

"Oh no," she said. "I don't mind, that's a weird request," she added.

He shrugged and leaned across the table so that he could take a picture with the woman. He saw the text from Zack appear on his screen while he was taking the picture but ignored it so that he could take a selfie with the fortune teller.

"Thank you," he said sitting back down in his seat and seeing a text from Zack appeared on his screen again

Meet me at the house of mirrors.

He stood up about to leave the tent until the woman said something to him.

"You didn't get your fortune told sweetie," she said.

"Oh it's ok, I have to go meet a friend," he was actually telling the truth now.

"I can give you your money back," she said. He was surprised by her offer, the fact that this carnival had nice workers and games that weren't impossible to win made the whole night seem odd but he shrugged her off.

"Keep it," he said walking out of the tent and hopefully out of ear shot. "Put it in a concert fund for your daughter," he added under his breath. When he got to the hall of mirrors the thing was deserted because it was stupid and confusing probably.

"Hey," Zack started practically dragging the gigantic bear along with him.

"Didn't you win another prize?" Jack asked shoving his hands into his pockets and walking into the mirrored room.

"Yeah but I gave it to Alex," Zack said. "Let's split up," he suggested. At least neither of them could really win at this. Jack nodded an ok at him and then went in the opposite direction of Jack.

They were far enough away from each other where he could still hear Zack and since there was no one else there he figured it would be ok for him to talk loud enough to be heard over the mirrors.

"Why?" he asked.

"Because I didn't feel like carrying it around." Jack tried to walk foreword but walked straight into a mirror.

"Oh," Jack started.

"It's ok if you can't win one," Zack said. Jack shook his head going back in the direction he had come from walking into another mirror. Why had he agreed to do this?

"It's not like I have anyone to win them for anyway." Jack pouted.

"That's not true," Zack responded.

"Who would I give it to then?" Jack was growing frustrated because he kept running into the stupid mirrors and the conversation they were having was not helping at all.

"Well you don't have to give it to someone," Zack said, his voice was getting further and further away so he was starting to get louder so Jack could hear as he continued to walk into the mirrors.

"It'd be cute," Jack replied in a small voice. "If I gave it to someone."

"You could give it to me," Zack replied.

"It's not fun to give it to someone who could just win their own." Jack replied sadly. Pretty much giving up on trying to find his way out. "Will you come get me out of here because I don't need seven years of bad luck for breaking one of these things." he said in aggravation. Assuming that Zack had made it to the end because he didn't seem to be getting any closer or farther away.

"Keep talking so I can find you," Zack said.

"I mean maybe I'd just be happy if I had someone to win me prizes," Jack continued the conversation standing in one spot.

"I can," Zack offered.

"It's not fair though now that I told you too."

"Lisa told Alex to win her one, and all she got was a stupid stuffed monkey, once I find you we're going back and I'm gonna win you a big one like this stupid bear," Zack said. "It's heavier then you think."

Jack laughed.

"Thank you," he said looking up at the mirror and seeing Zack come up behind him. He felt Zack's arms wrap around his waist and he couldn't help but smile.

"That's what friends are for right?" Zack asked. Jack nodded slowly at the mirror when he said the word friends.

"What if that test your strength kid was right?" Jack asked leaning back into Zack who had dropped his bear on the ground next to them. He heard some kids coming through the mirrors but he hoped that they'd leave them alone.

"You're not weak--" Zack started.

"That's not what I--"

He started to say something but the kids running through interrupted him. "Ew go make out somewhere else," one said.

"Yeah kissing is gross," the other said.

Jack laughed he was about to tell them that they weren't even kissing but Zack still had his arms around Jack so he just grinned and pulled Zack's arms off of his turning so that he was facing him now and dropped his arms and looked one of the kids in the eye before leaning in for a kiss. It was weird and he would be lying if he said he'd never thought about doing that before but some kids saying ew wasn't very romantic. Eventually Jack managed to push Zack's back against one of the mirrors so that they weren't blocking the way out anymore and the kids would stop staring and walk past.

"That's what I meant," he raised a brow and pulled his lips away from Zack.

"Oh," Zack said taking his arms off Jack trying to back up but realizing that there was a mirror there. He took Jack's hand.

"They took your bear," Jack whispered.

"That's ok," Zack said in a breathy voice. Jack was about to make some comment about taking his breath away but Zack was pulling him out of the maze of mirrors.

"Are we gonna get it back?" Jack asked once they were outside again. Zack dropped his hand and suddenly Jack felt cold and alone.

"No." Zack said walking away, Jack followed him but he stopped walking and turned to Jack pulling him away from the main path and off to the side towards some sort of booth. "I don't need a bear," he said. "I already have a prize."

"Oh," Jack said looking down at the ground.

"It's you idiot. You're my prize," Zack moved to grab his face and force him to look up at him before locking their lips for another kiss.

Later that night Jack sat in a hotel room with a gigantic teddy bear on one side of him and his head on Zack's chest talking on the phone with his laptop on his lap. He was staring at Zack while his mother told him about his day.

"You're coming to dinner next week right?" she asked. "Alex and Rian and Zack too," she added. He looked down at Zack who just nodded. She'd have to make a lot of food for the four of them once they got home from tour, but his mom's cooking did sound pretty good right now.

"Yeah." he said thinking about the food already.

"What did you do today?" his mom asked into the phone. He looked over at Zack who could hear every word of the conversation since it was in speaker and they both giggled like girls.

"Oh we went to a carnival," he said typing his twitter information into it and looking down at his phone which was plugged into the computer.

"Did you have fun?" she asked.

Jack grinned at Zack again and then typed onto the screen. "Yeah it was super fun, I had a great time." he was still having a great time. Jack looked at the phone and then at his computer before he clicked post on the of himself and the woman from the fortune tellers booth he'd posted.

Met a nice lady at the fair today. Do I really look like Alec from the band All Time High? I think Alison's mom wins best mom ever. #sorry
♠ ♠ ♠
I will update other things, but I just wanted to write a short little thing because I kind of need to get my writing juices flowing again since I've been at band camp and too tired to write anything lately. School is starting soon so I'm gonna try and write a bunch in advance, I think I'm gonna write a band geek fic too if I have time maybe before I get back to update Making Wishes on his Broken Stereo. Anyway, the prompt said Jalex but I wanted to spin it as a Merrikat so here you go. I've never seen any photos of them from like people meeting them on the street and I think Alex said the whole thing about them still being able to go on the streets in an interview once so idk if this is accurate or not but w/e. enjoy xo.