Sequel: Iron Maiden
Status: In Progress

Iron Skye

Chapter 1

Caesar’s Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada

“It’s my honor to present this year’s Apogee Award to Mr. Tony Stark.” Everyone erupted into applause.

“Do you want this one or should I take it?” Obadiah murmured into my ear from his spot behind me.

“You take this one. I’ve got to write a new acceptance speech.” Obadiah chuckled before squeezing my shoulder and walking up to the stage.

My father’s best friend had a look of confusion on his face that quickly changed to understanding.

“Thank you, Colonel.” I saw Rhodey whisper something to Obadiah before standing behind him. “This is beautiful. Thank you. Thank you all very much. This is wonderful... Well, I'm not Tony Stark. But if I were Tony, I would tell you how honored I feel and what a joy it is to receive this very prestigious award. Tony, you know... The best thing about Tony is also the worst thing. He's always working.” I couldn’t help but roll my eyes.

I grabbed my bag and weaved my way through the crowd, leaving the casino. I ignored the flashing cameras and the questions being hurled my way and went over to the car my father had hired me for the night.

“To the airport, Bernard.” I told the driver. “Can I call you Bernard?”

“You can call me whatever you wish, Miss Stark.” He said as I climbed into the SUV.

It took an hour to fly back to LA and another hour to get to Malibu. I was tired and was not looking forward to tomorrow morning.

“JARVIS?”

“Yes, Miss Stark?” The AI answered.

“What’s the probability my father’s bringing home a girl tonight?”

“I believe that it is well established that he will bring a lady home tonight.”

“Thought so.”

I changed out of my dress that I had so carefully picked out, discarded my heels in the middle of the floor and slipped into bed, not even noticing when my dad came home.

I woke up early in the morning, too early for my liking, but I grabbed my computer anyways and made my way to the kitchen. There was no sign of the souvenir my father brought home last night but I didn’t get my hopes up.

I made myself a hot pocket and brewed a cup of coffee before settling down on the couch. My dad was supposed to have left for Afghanistan an hour ago but knowing him, he was taking his time. I knew he really didn’t want to do the weapons demonstration but it was his company.

“Tony? Hey, Tony?” I heard a voice call.

“Here we go.” I said to myself.

“You are not authorized to access this area.” I heard JARVIS say. I snickered to myself. This one was adventurous.

“That's JARVIS. He runs the house. I've got your clothes here. They've been dry-cleaned and pressed, and there's a car waiting for you outside that will take you anywhere you'd like to go.” I heard Pepper say.

“You must be the famous Pepper Potts.”

“Indeed I am.”

“After all these years, Tony still has you picking up the dry-cleaning.” And a bitch. I didn’t like this one, not that I liked any of the others.

“I do anything and everything that Mr. Stark requires. Including, occasionally, taking out the trash. Will that be all?” I smirked.

When the door shut I came out of my hiding spot.

“Nice one, Pepper.” I said, giving the red head a hug.

“Thank you, Skye.”

“Here,” I handed her the black box. “Happy Birthday.”

“Oh, thank you.” She opened it to reveal the diamond encrusted silver necklace. “I got it to match the dress you got for yourself.”

She hugged me. Pepper was the closest thing I’d ever had to a mother. She saw me as more than just her boss’ daughter. She adopted me as her own and has loved me like a daughter.

“Where’s your father?”

“Probably in the garage.”

“He’s late for his flight.”

“When has he actually been on time?”

Pepper just shook her head as she descended the stairs to my father’s garage.

I had started in on my school work when my father came up the stairs, taking two at a time.

“Birdy! Go get dressed.” He yelled.

“What?”

“Go get clothes on and meet me in the garage.”

He disappeared down the hall.

“Okay.” I put my laptop aside and went to my room.

My dad was leaning on the Audi when I got to the garage.

“What are we doing?”

“I’m going to the airport but I need someone to drive the car back.”

“You’re trusting me with the Audi?”

“Why not?” He climbed in the driver’s side.

“Where’s your luggage?”

“Happy’s following us in the Rolls.”

I nodded. He sped off, making it to the airport in record time.

“You're good!” Happy said, getting my dad’s luggage from the back of the Rolls.

“I thought I lost you back there.”

“You did, Sir. I had to cut across Mulholland.”

“Ah, I got you. I got you.”

He handed me the car keys. “Take care of her, Bird.” He kissed my forehead.

“What's wrong with you?” Rhodey said from his spot by the door of the plane.

“What?”

“Three hours.”

“I got caught doing a piece for Vanity Fair.” My dad said, running up the stairs of the plane.

“For three hours. For three hours you got me standing here.”

My dad disappeared into the plane. I leaned against the car. “Take care of him, Rhodey.” I whispered.

Happy descended the stairs and walked over to the Rolls.

“Wanna race?” I grinned at Happy, jingling the keys.

To make a long story short, I won the race home. Like they say, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

I finished out the day with my school work then having dinner with Pepper and Happy before they left for the night, leaving me alone in the huge mansion. Of course it wasn’t the first time, but this time it felt empty.

I said goodnight to JARVIS before curling up in bed to a night of fitful sleep.

My phone rang around 3 in the morning. I sat up, not even looking at the caller I.D.

“Hello?” I said, my voice still rough with sleep.

'Skye?'

It was a video call from my dad.

“Dad…” I could hear what sounded like gunshots in the background. Dust was flying everywhere and my dad looked panicked.

'Skye, I’m in trouble. I just wanted you to know something. I wanted to tell you-'

Something caught his attention to his right.

'Skye-'

Something exploded and screen went black.

My breathing quickened. I dialed his number and prayed for an answer.

It went straight to voicemail.