Sequel: Iron Maiden
Status: In Progress

Iron Skye

Chapter 13

I burned all over. It was like every cell in my body was on fire. I screamed in pain, not able to hold anything back. I couldn't even cry I was so hot. Then the pain stopped and I was left a sobbing wreck. An icy feeling took the fire's place in my body. It was almost a relief, but it left me shaking.

"It's working." I was vaguely aware of the two men who were still in the room with me.

"I can't believe it."

"We finally found the right-" The man was cut off by a whoosh.

"What the-" There was another and the other man was silent. I heard the thud of bodies hitting the ground.

My heart beat sped back up, nerves riding high again. Maybe Obadiah had come back for me.

"Skye Stark?" A voice said, a man with short, dirty blonde hair came into view. He had a bow and quiver on his back. "I'm Agent Clint Barton with SHIELD." He started undoing the straps holding down my arms and legs. "You're going to be okay."

"So. They finally changed the name, huh?" I laughed, which sent me into a coughing fit.

There was a metallic taste in my mouth and when I brought my hand back, it was covered in blood.

There was a sound like an explosion above us and the building shook. Agent Barton scooped me up into his arms and ran to what I assumed was the exit. I was very tired and light headed and all I wanted to do was sleep. I relaxed into his arms, resting my head against the soft material of his jacket.

'There have been unconfirmed reports that a robotic prototype malfunctioned and caused damage to the arc reactor.' I woke up hearing Rhodey's voice.

I cracked my eyes open to see I was in a hospital room. There were two men I could see out of the door and the TV was on, showing Rhodey addressing what had happened last night.

'And now, Mr. Stark has prepared a statement. He will not be taking any questions. Thank you.' I could see the cameras flashing as my dad walked to the podium.

'Uh, been a while since I was in front of you. I figure I'll stick to the cards this time.' The press laughed. 'There's been speculation that I was involved in the events that occurred on the freeway and the rooftop...'

'I'm sorry, Mr Stark,' the blonde my dad had brought home with him from Vegas interrupted. 'but do you honestly expect us to believe that that was a bodyguard in a suit that conveniently appeared, despite the fact that you...'

'I know that it's confusing. It's is one thing to question the official story, and another thing entirely to make wild accusations, or insinuate that I'm a superhero.'

'I never said you were a superhero.'

'You didn't? Well, good, because that would be outlandish and fantastic. I'm just not the hero type. Clearly. With this laundry list of character defects, all the mistakes I've made, largely public.' My dad was rambling. Rhodey leaned over and whispered something to him. 'Yeah, okay. Yeah... The truth is...' He stared at the blue cards in his hand for a moment before looking up at the camera. '... I am Iron Man.'

I leaned back against my pillow. Dad, what have you done?
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, that's all folks! I hope you enjoyed this story and I look forward to writing the sequel which will take place during Iron Man 2. Until then, my lovelies.