Sequel: Iron Maiden
Status: In Progress

Iron Skye

Chapter 2

Month 1

"You're dad is missing." Those words rang through my head like a catchy melody for the longest time. I almost dropped the phone when Rhodey uttered those words.

I had finally gotten ahold of him and he told me the story of what happened.

Pepper came over after she heard what happened. We sat together and cried in the silent house.

Once word got out the press was parked at the end of the street. Most of them waiting to hear the news of what was going to happen to Stark Industries. Would I be taking over my father's position? Or would I hand it to Obadiah?

But those were the least of my worries. The night was hard. Pepper had left, going back to her apartment. I was alone in the big house that only seemed larger now that my dad was gone.

I passed by my dad's room, the door ajar. The bed was unmade and the clothes he had worn to Vegas still in a pile on the floor.

The tears ran like a waterfall down my face. I opened his closet door, pulling out one of his dirty shirts from the laundry bin. I held it to my face, taking in his aftershave.

I stumbled my way to the bed, slowly, cautiously climbing in to the side my dad slept on. I held his shirt to my chest as I buried my face in his pillow. I cried through the night until I fell asleep sometime in the early morning.

I was having nightmares. Every time I closed my eyes I would see his panicked face and hear the explosion and the screen would go dark. Except I would see him and he'd be bleeding on the ground. I would cry, scream for him but my cries would go unheard. Then I would wake up, sweaty and screaming still.

So I resolved to sleeping very little. I buried myself in my dad's garage and had JARVIS teach me about cars and how to fix them.

Pepper came over every day. Happy would too. I would have Pepper watch the news and Happy run errands because I didn't want to face the press who were waiting for my return to the public eye.

Obadiah came over one day to check on me. He was overly concerned for my well being. He brought pizza and asked me what I was going to do about Stark Industries. I told him he was in control again. I knew nothing about being a businessperson and I was in no shape mentally to be running a company.

He told me to call him if I needed anything at all and I let him go with a nod and a thank you. I told JARVIS to warn me whenever he was coming near the house and to not let him in under any circumstance.

After the first month, things really started going downhill.