Sequel: Iron Maiden
Status: In Progress

Iron Skye

Chapter 3

Month 2

The second month is when things started going downhill. People started losing hope. News spread all over that my father was dead. I couldn’t believe them. My father wasn’t dead.

Then Obadiah’s unhealthy interest took a turn to obsessive. He decided to file for custody of me. I had never been so scared in my life.

“It’s okay, Skye. Your dad specifically stated in his will that if anything should happen that he couldn’t care for you then you would go into my custody.” Pepper said as we sat at the table. “He’s not going to win that case.”

Her words did nothing to calm my anxiety.

I stopped eating. My work on my dad’s car became obsessive. I hardly left the garage and only ate when Pepper brought me food or forced me to sleep. She had moved in, along with Happy so I wouldn’t be alone. But I had never felt so alone before.

Month 3

It was during the third month that I began to lose hope. Rhodey called me every week to update me on his search, but it never strengthened my hope. No, what hope I had was almost gone. I started to believe the news and tabloids. Maybe my father really was dead.

Obadiah was still trying to take custody of me. For whatever reason he really wanted control of the Stark name because if he gained custody of me, that’s what he would get.

But Pepper fought back just as hard. Obadiah wouldn’t get his hands on me if it was the last thing he did.

It was during this time I got a good look at myself in the mirror. I had lost a lot of weight and there were dark circles under my eyes, which were bloodshot from lack of sleep and crying almost every day. My skin, which used to be tan from the Malibu sun had lost all of its color. I looked like the living dead.

But I had become a master of fixing cars. JARVIS taught me everything I needed to know and how to fix everything. I was starting to live up to the Stark name.

Then one phone call changed everything.

It was Rhodey. I didn’t think much of it because it was about time for his routine phone call about how they hadn't found anything yet but they weren’t giving up just yet.

No, all he said this time was: “We found him.”