Sequel: Iron Maiden
Status: In Progress

Iron Skye

Chapter 5

"Hey Dad?" I walked into the garage where my dad had holed himself up for the past couple weeks since his return. "Um...I just...I just wanted to tell you..." Why was this so hard? He's your father, Skye. My dad turned from what he was doing to face me. He took off his glasses and wheeled his chair over to me. "I, uh, fixed the car you were working on. I had JARVIS teach me everything and I..." I didn't want to admit that I had started losing hope.

"Come here." My dad sighed.

I walked over to him slowly. He pulled me into his arms, burying his face in my shoulder, gripping me tightly. I leaned the side of my head against his and breathed in his aftershave.

I tightened my arms around him as the horrors of the past three months washed over me again. I hated crying in front of my dad. I hated showing any weakness in front of him.

I bit the side of my cheek to keep from sobbing like a baby.

"I didn't want you to be disappointed by me." I whispered.

My dad pulled away from me, holding me at arms length. "Why would I be disappointed by you?"

Where do I begin? "Well, I'm not a genius and I don't exactly live up to the Stark name..."

"Hey, that doesn't disappoint me. You're just a normal kid. You're more than a normal kid. You've already graduated from high school at 16. That's better than most people. So what you're no genius. You're still a Stark."

"Thanks, daddy." I said hugging him again.

I had finished my school work for the day and was making my way to the kitchen for some dinner when I overheard Pepper and my dad talking.

"She hardly slept, Tony."

"That's normal for teenagers."

"She slept in your bed, what little she did sleep and she would wake up in the middle of the night screaming for you. Tony, don't push her away again. She buried herself in the garage to prove herself to you."

"We've already been over this, Pepper."

"Do you know what she said to me when we were on our way to the air base?"

"How could I possibly know that?"

I could almost hear Pepper's look. "She asked me if it was a good idea that she go to pick you up because she wasn't sure if you would remember her or not. Tony, do this for her. Please."

I walked back to my room, suddenly not hungry anymore.